Explorer sport 0-60 problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer sport 0-60 problem

Fred91456

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hi, I have just received today my black explorer sport, and while i k ow that this vehicles is pretty fast when I took it for a spin and accelerated the engine made some pretty weird noise which wouldn't bother me, but for some reason when the car got to about 40 MPH it started making noise as if the engine went into neutral and the speed moved up verrry slow, basically it took me at least 10 seconds to get to 60. And I know this should be alot quicker than that. So guys what am i doing wrong here???? Please advise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the turbo world !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2U1GeLzS8

Bet you blew a cac (charge air cooler) hose off the turbo ... and lost all the boost (which makes all the HP :) )
reason it seemed so slow is that it was now running like a non-turbo'ed plain ole explorer :)

you could bring it into the dealer to get it done, but easy 5 minute fix usually on most of the turbo vehicles I've had...

just open the hood and see what large air hose should be connected..
check the connecting surfaces to clean off any oil etc...
and push the hose back on and tighten down the hose clamp..

you should be fast again :)

So do you think that's the reason it sounded like it went into neutral because the car is not even with me 24 hours... And I got so pissed that i just wanted to return the car....

Hi, I have just received today my black explorer sport, and while i k ow that this vehicles is pretty fast when I took it for a spin and accelerated the engine made some pretty weird noise which wouldn't bother me, but for some reason when the car got to about 40 MPH it started making noise as if the engine went into neutral and the speed moved up verrry slow, basically it took me at least 10 seconds to get to 60. And I know this should be alot quicker than that. So guys what am i doing wrong here???? Please advise
If you do a 'search' on turbo, you will see there are some threads on that issue. Here are a couple of them;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384440&highlight=turbo

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383970&highlight=turbo

Hopefully that is the same problem you have.

Peter

Just a little more of Ford's poor quality control !!! No wonder Ford does not use the slogan "At Ford Quality is Job 1" anymore.....Ford Executives and Line Workers should all be ashamed.....best regards Plum

Just a little more of Ford's poor quality control !!! No wonder Ford does not use the slogan "At Ford Quality is Job 1" anymore.....Ford Executives and Line Workers should all be ashamed.....best regards Plum

I'm assuming you've had a bad experience? Judging by your digs at ford in nearly every post you make. I hope you have purchased something else, and eventually find its forum.

So do you think that's the reason it sounded like it went into neutral because the car is not even with me 24 hours... And I got so pissed that i just wanted to return the car....

you bite your tongue haha ;) jk. Just take it in and have it fixed real quick and get back to having a blast. Sorry to hear your first day wasnt fun. Hopefully the rest of driving it will be, and with minimal problems.

Unfortunatly this post is completly inaccurate at every level. The quality by nearly every test has now exceeded Toyota and is at the top if not the top of almost every car/truck line. Yes do cars have problems, yes, some more then others. We all want everything to be perfect all the time but its just not. Quality in todays Ford is much much much different then it has been in the past. They have worked hard to get there and posts like this make no sense. Im sorry if you had a bad experience, but sell yours and buy something else then. You have a 2.0L Eco? If thats true I know why you hate it, enough said. Way to much truck for a 4cc. Common sense will tell you that.

Just to update a happy ending... I went into dealer today and as some of you mentioned it was INDEED the charge air cooler that got disconnected, and the dealer claims that if you floor the gas pedal to many times in a short amount of time, it tends to blow off. But now this being my second day (technically first) of REALLY seeing what this car is all about, i have to say i am really impressed by the quality and power that this vehicle has!!! Worth every penny!! And for me coming from a Toyota highlander i have to say that this is an upgrade BIG TIME!! Thank you all so much for you're help!!!

..... the dealer claims that if you floor the gas pedal to many times in a short amount of time, it tends to blow off. ........

WHAT ?!? :eek:

Your dealer sounds like he got a scholarship at the BS school :) Not true if it's put on correctly and there are no underlying issues...

sounds like some have a Monday morning car where someone just didn't tighten the cac hose clamp :)
won't hurt others to test their connections periodically...

like stated. not a biggee unless the cac tube dumps the hot exhaust onto something that doesn't like heat :)

I guess so too... On a different note what wheel locks do you recommend for these wheels?

These v6 3.5 ecoboost are topping out at 13psi of boost correct? Really surprised that CAC hoses are popping off at that low a pressure.
Maybe try putting some hairspray on the mating surfaces of the CAC hoses/tubes next time.
I routinely hit 25-30 psi in my truck and have never popped a CAC hose, but when I pulled my CAC out last time, I reassembled with old school Aquanet hairspray and never popped a hose.

several hose clamps were loose from the factory, so it's probably the same case on why some guys are popping off with such low miles. I was able to get a few turns on several of the hose clamps under the hood on various piping.

Just to update a happy ending... I went into dealer today and as some of you mentioned it was INDEED the charge air cooler that got disconnected, and the dealer claims that if you floor the gas pedal to many times in a short amount of time, it tends to blow off. But now this being my second day (technically first) of REALLY seeing what this car is all about, i have to say i am really impressed by the quality and power that this vehicle has!!! Worth every penny!! And for me coming from a Toyota highlander i have to say that this is an upgrade BIG TIME!! Thank you all so much for you're help!!!

Fantastic news, Fred91456! If you need any assistance in the future, I'm always just a few clicks away. :)

Crystal

I've experience the same issue yesterday at 3800km or 2500 miles.... The hose connecting to the intercooler just pop out while I was ramping up the highway...ouch without the Turbo it took a while to get to 50 mph

So i had to lay underneath my Explorer in the parking lot to fix it myself....so there might be a few pictures of me on the web today showing Ford poor reliability... The guys at the office are already teasing me...

Bottom line I've decided to check all hoses clamps....out of the eleven I've seen...7 needed to be tighthen....and the hoses were about to disconnect at 3 places...

Hoping the issues will stop there because it is a very good vehicle overall

You would think by now this would have been addressed with the employees responsible for this at the assembly plant. QC and the plant manager should get these folks in line.

I posted in another thread before, but I got my Sport the beginning of June and had this happen within the first week. I was really ticked off since my car had 69.1 miles on it brand new from the factory due to "quality testing"...

Not happy about this.

You would think by now this would have been addressed with the employees responsible for this at the assembly plant. QC and the plant manager should get these folks in line.

so you have never messed up even a little bit at your job, ever???

I posted in another thread before, but I got my Sport the beginning of June and had this happen within the first week. I was really ticked off since my car had 69.1 miles on it brand new from the factory due to "quality testing"...

Not happy about this.

well I guess you know they weren't flogging it and going WOT during their quality test checks then lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That AND engineering too! Obvioiusly something is being missed here and needs to be addressed. Hopefully they have already learned from this and changes in assembly have been done.

Back