brand new explorer with old nav maps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brand new explorer with old nav maps

stormyweather

Reaction score
Hello,
I got my new fully loaded explorer a week ago. I just noticed yesterday that a major interstate that was rebuilt and opened over a year and a half ago is not showing up in my nav maps. it still shows the old interstate which has long ago been torn down. This means the maps in my brand new car have not been updated in well over a year.

I'm trying to figure out how to update the nav maps to a current map, and i'm discovering that i might have to pay 200 dollars to update something that should have been updated by ford long before this car was even built.

Am i missing something. Isn't this something that the dealer should have updated before i got the vehicle? My wife's new honda is showing the new road just fine.

Add to this my frustration over going out and setting up a data plan service with a new usb stick just so i could get my explorer to act as a hot spot, only to find out that there is no compatible stick and i assure you, if i have to spend 200 bucks to update the maps, I will never again buy another ford. I have a fleet number, have 25 ford trucks in my business, and that 200 dollars will cost ford all my future business.

Tell me it isn't so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my experience it takes several years for the new roads to show up on navigation systems and this is not just with Ford, but all of them.

..sounds like bad dealer prep of the vehicle for delivery...

This post has some approved carrier/wifi modems listed.
Ford Ex compat Usb Modems

..sounds like bad dealer prep of the vehicle for delivery...
How? Wouldn't the map data card come with the vehicle from the factory?

The updates are not instantaneous, just depends on when the data makes its way to Navteq. If you want to post a screenshot of the area you are looking at, maybe someone with another new vehicle can look at it and tell you if they have a newer version. If that is the case, then I'd be asking for the latest card for free. But if they all have the same one, well then that's what's available at this point.

Im only saying the car should have loaded on it the A4 map disk, check that.
It may not show recent construction etc, but you would have the most current map
data loaded, that is available for the Ford Ex.

If the loaded maps are not A4, you should receive A4 free.

I was told that Ford's maps are about 3 years out dated. All of which seems strange considering with most any Nav provider like Garmin, Tom Tom, etc., you can get updated maps/data twice if not 6 times a year for free.... I guess I'm still unclear what is going on here with Ford.........best regards Plum

I was told that Ford's maps are about 3 years out dated. All of which seems strange considering with most any Nav provider like Garmin, Tom Tom, etc., you can get updated maps/data twice if not 6 times a year for free.... I guess I'm still unclear what is going on here with Ford.........best regards Plum

Ford has released updated maps free of charge roughly 3 times in the last 2 years. Updated does not mean up to date, it depends on when Navteq gets notified and/or adds the new road information. MOST vehicles don't offer free map updates at all, Ford has given us 3 updates for free due to various MFT issues. I've never had a vehicle that had 100% accurate up to date information, especially for roads that changed less than 3 or 4 years ago.

Back