• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar won't go out

PJB0515

Reaction score
City, State
bethlehem pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer EB
This is not my week, We just bought our EB in march and everything has been ok for the most part. Now with in one week, the A/C went out. And now today my wife called and the door ajar reading on the dash won't go out. It did when she drove home, but once she turned it off the door ajar went right back on. We cleaned where the latches, nothing helps.. Luckily the interior and exterior lights do turn off after a few minutes. But If anybody has an idea on what to do next, I would appreciate it, Since its friday its not practical to take to a dealership. Not to mention the other car we own is in the shop for the weekend. Any Ideas on what to do? I tried to research it as best I could, There is nothing out there for this problem.

thanks

PJB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and what you have should be kind of easy to fix. I have had it happen, so I got used to the parts.

The door ajar is from the actual door latch sensors inside each door, or the hatch. First check the plastic bushings of each door latch, two on the hatch. Make sure those are all intact, it's very common to have them fall apart with age.

Figure out which door latch is not signalling the dash that the doors are shut. Play with each one by pushing it closed more, or manually with one open at a time, close the latch jaws with a screw driver. Close them fully and more than normal, spray some penetrant into each latch also. They do get gummed up as the grease inside dries out.

For the time being while it's malfunctioning, turn off the interior lights manually, until the issue is fixed. Turn the thumb wheel next to the light switch all the way down, until it clicks. That shuts off the interior lights and dash, completely, saving the battery from draining any.

Likely a door latch switch assembly OR the wire that feeds it. We replace LOADS of them here (Ford Dealer) and most of the time it is the switch itself. Usually the drivers door as it is the most used, but not always.

Thank you guys! well we happen to go to Auto Zone to pick up the AC stuff. We did read somewhere that spaying WD-40 is a good fix. So we bought a small $2 can and it worked!! At least for the time being, we spayed the latch then closed it about 10 times. Now it seems ok. It probably is a temporary fix. But with the info you all provided I can work on it in the future..

Now if I can find a self charging AC nozzle, the one we bought doesn't fit. Question. Is the AC charger nozzle up by the fan? that's where I Thought it was.

When you open the hood it will be to the left of the radiator fan by the air intake box.

Thank you! That's where I thought it was, Unfortunately the a/c refill valve wont fit on the nozzle of the explorer.. Back to the store we go.

And now today my wife called and the door ajar reading on the dash won't go out. It did when she drove home, but once she turned it off the door ajar went right back on. We cleaned where the latches, nothing helps.. Luckily the interior and exterior lights do turn off after a few minutes. But If anybody has an idea on what to do next, I would appreciate it,

PJB

I had a similar problem and WD40 fixed it. It's been fine for 3 years now. Certainly not the solution to every "door ajar" warning light issue but it's the easiest and cheapest next step.

Back