Attempted to pressure flush brakes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Attempted to pressure flush brakes

Speed Bleeders have a pointed tip vs. the blunt OEM taper. If you have a problem getting a seal with fear of over tightening, file the points to match the stock tips. If the thread sealant is wearing off with the chance of sucking air when releasing the pedal, seal the leaking threads next to the caliper with silicone brake grease such as Sil-Glyde or Permatex Ultra Brake Caliper Lube.

Dorman12701.jpg
619bbb5a-74f3-4b2e-ba72-37ba055f8798.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Speed Bleeders have a pointed tip vs. the blunt OEM taper.
No problem sealing with mine. Picture is from a Corvette forum.

I have a feeling it was a thread differences. Just hope he didn't strip the threads out in the calipers.which ones did you install?

On my 12706 fronts, one fit fine and didn't leak, the other wanted to leak unless I screwed it in real tight. A little beyond what I felt comfortable with. But it is holding well now.

As noted in earlier posts, the speed bleeders are pointed and the regular bleeders are blunt. I compared the original bleeders to the speed bleeders and used a bench grinder to take off a tad of the point being aware of the seat marks on the original. Didn't want to get into that area. Now when I open the bleeders I have to be careful to not open them too much or they will leak around the threads, as well as through the check valve. Final result is that they work now. Bear in mind that I used 12707, the 12706 may work better. The Dorman website says that neither will work. I used 12701's on the rear and they work, I just have to snug them down pretty good. Hope my posts helped you guys. I have a 93 Ex Eddie with discs on front and drums on the rear.

Back