• Register Today It's free!

Cruise problem and ABS

keith07

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Here's one for you. Maybe coincidental, maybe not. Last year replaced both front wheel abs sensors and the one on top of rear end to clear abs light. When the abs warning was on the cruise didn't work uless you hit the brakes just so. Then the cruise would work until I had to use the brakes again. Now my abs light is back on and the cruise works with the brake massaging trick. I cannot say for sure if the cruise worked after the abs light was cleared but I know it doesn't work now without the brake trick. First question : Anyway to troubleshoot the sensors to see which one is bad and (second question)anything I might not be thinking of on the cruise problem? Are they related?

Changed switch on master cylinder as stated on another post and all cruise and abs light problems are gone. Thanks for the information. One thing I goofed on was I bought the replacement switch at the local Ford house and paid more than double the price quoted. Once again thanks for the info, now if I can get the a/c vent flow problem fixed.

I know they make scanners to check abs codes. If it is one of the front sensors, you may have an issue within the hub itself. Usually when one of my abs sensors in the front fails, I can pull the sensor out and look inside the hole in the hub. You can see "teeth" that the sensor uses to determine speed. If you see there are gauges in the teeth, than it is time to replace the hub.

Back