Where oh where to find torsion bars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where oh where to find torsion bars

explorer-aus

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 - Explorer XLT SOHC
Torsion bars on my 97 explorer are stuffed, is there anywhere anyone knows that i can find new ones?? I cant find them anywhere. I'm a bit suspicious of buying second hand ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Ford dealer is the only place I know of that you can get new torsion bars.

Ah, that's no help because Ford australia wont import odd parts like that for anything press 2001 in explorer.

try a wrecking yard,, they may have some that are still good,,

Torsion bars on my 97 explorer are stuffed, is there anywhere anyone knows that i can find new ones?? I cant find them anywhere. I'm a bit suspicious of buying second hand ones.

I would like to find an aftermarket torsion bar to fit my off road needs. I haven't tried sway-a-way yet. I put sway-a-way torsion bars on my Toyota race truck back in the 80's.

i dont know what happened but ################## is the missing word

they dont like that name auto parts warehouse

Why can't you just tighten the bolt that secures the torsion bar key, or get a slightly longer bolt? I don't see what a new torsion bar would do that your stock one or a stiffer used one wouldn't do, along with a torsion twist. At the point you max out the bolt, you will be nearly out of down travel anyway. If you want to keep from bottoming out so quickly, you should focus on shocks not springs.

And sway away doesn't make aftermarket torsion bars for Explorers.

further "twisting" is a band aid on a gun shot its rather pointless best option is coil over convert or getting heavier (larger diameter) F-150 torsions

I think with our lack of aftermarket parts for Explorers that a generic coilover or air shock would be a better solution.

Edit: Try Fulcrum, they make a lift kit for the Ranger with improved torsion bars, could be worth a shot.

My opinion is coilovers though.

Why can't you just tighten the bolt that secures the torsion bar key, or get a slightly longer bolt? I don't see what a new torsion bar would do that your stock one or a stiffer used one wouldn't do, along with a torsion twist. At the point you max out the bolt, you will be nearly out of down travel anyway. If you want to keep from bottoming out so quickly, you should focus on shocks not springs.

And sway away doesn't make aftermarket torsion bars for Explorers.

They're stuffed, fully wound up and still completely flat, aka i have no lift except for tires.

Also I cant find a longer bolt of that type anywhere, i've been to bolt shops, but nobody has them :\

Back