• Register Today It's free!

Goodbye MFT

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, saw it on the news. I personally like knobs, but I do not dislike MFT.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-gives-turning-cars-smartphones-170533270.html

But it seems people have no patience for touchscreens when a simple knob will do. Raj Nair, head of global product development, tells the Wall Street Journal that knobs and buttons will return to the dashboards of new Fords for functions like tuning the radio and changing the volume.

I don't see how any of this article equates to "Goodbye MFT" . . . adding knobs back doesn't mean you are taking the touchscreen away.

There will still be touch screen capability v

When it works its great, its the inconsistency that drives most people crazy.

Technology is moving this way regardless of MFT, just make it work like my iPhone5 and I wont complain. (as much)

Surprising Ford would announce this after the Apple WWDC announcement with other car makers went the other way with greater smartphone/vehicle integration.

There is hard button redundancy now anyways.

I don't see anything earth shattering here...

I can adjust volume and tune my radio without using MFT already.

It really means Ford knows it can not "fix" the present system. To save face they are keeping MFT, but getting some of the heat off their back. Those of us stuck with this generation MFT/Sync are about done getting any support or upgrades as soon as the "new" hybrid system comes out. We are stuck, and resale/trade value of the present vehicle will surely suffer. Last time Ford fools me !

Adding back physical knobs and buttons for functions has nothing to do with the on screen functionality. They aren't removing anything from MFT or stopping updates and upgrades for current users, they are just adding the ability to do some things with physical buttons also. Instead of a capacitive button for fan speed you will have a knob for instance. You are misunderstanding what this press release is about. This has nothing to do with fixing the issues with MFT.

yup hop in a f150 and it'll be similar to that. They kept redundant buttons in the truck so guys who use their truck for work, and wearing gloves, can still operate controls without having to take gloves off to use the touch screen.

I really like my Raptor's setup way more than the Sport's. I can do all the same stuff with the touch screen in the Raptor that I can with the touch screen in the sport, but I've also got physical buttons in the Raptor, and 9 times out of 10 I'm using the buttons over the touch screen. One I hate finger prints, but two I don't even have to look, and I don't have to click a screen to then click a button, I just press a physical button. It doesn't take up any more space either, we've got so much dead panel space below the MFT, they can easily fit redundant physical buttons back like in the trucks.

It's not "goodbye MFT" by any means....it's "physical buttons....meet MFT"

yup hop in a f150 and it'll be similar to that. They kept redundant buttons in the truck so guys who use their truck for work, and wearing gloves, can still operate controls without having to take gloves off to use the touch screen.

I really like my Raptor's setup way more than the Sport's. I can do all the same stuff with the touch screen in the Raptor that I can with the touch screen in the sport, but I've also got physical buttons in the Raptor, and 9 times out of 10 I'm using the buttons over the touch screen. One I hate finger prints, but two I don't even have to look, and I don't have to click a screen to then click a button, I just press a physical button. It doesn't take up any more space either, we've got so much dead panel space below the MFT, they can easily fit redundant physical buttons back like in the trucks.

It's not "goodbye MFT" by any means....it's "physical buttons....meet MFT"
What buttons does it have that the Sport doesn't?
My Sport Sony radio has volume and tuning. Does it have a number pad or something?

What buttons does it have that the Sport doesn't?
My Sport Sony radio has volume and tuning. Does it have a number pad or something?

all of the HVAC controls, all of the radio controls, it's a heck of a lot more than just a volume knob and a tuning button.

Here's my 2012 Raptor, which is non-MFT, but it does pretty much everything the MFT does so I don't know why it's not called MFT, the interface layout is slightly different, but other thanthat the functionality is all the same from what I've found so far. All of the radio controls, all of the HVAC controls, all of the phone controls, voice activation, navigation, etc. all available touch screen. But also all physical buttons too.

CRep15.jpg

Here's the 2013 F-150, with MFT, which as I mentioned I've found no difference with features touch-screen wise, and the only differnce with the buttons is the MFT version organized them in clusters, where the non-MFT version like my Raptor had the buttons in rows. And instead of up/down buttons for driver/passenger temp they changed it to knobs for driver/passenger temp

71611352.jpg

The explorer with MFT actually only has ONE physical knob/button, the volume, everything else is still a touch button, not a physical button. The smooth black surface looks nice, but it's not ergnomic at all for trying to operate controls while driving, or accidently bumping into one buttom while feeling for something else. I lost count of how many times I went for the volume knob and either accidently turned it off, or accidently hit a tune up/tune down button inthe center ofthe knob. Gimme regular buttons damnit! lol

2013-Ford-Explorer-Sport-interior-1024x640.jpg

Gotcha, thanks!

I personally prefer the current look, but I do see situations (especially when gloved in winter) where it could be frustrating.

Gotcha, thanks!

I personally prefer the current look, but I do see situations (especially when gloved in winter) where it could be frustrating.

yeah.. the current version is capacitive buttons that have no tactile feel or feedback. You can't just feel around for the button you're looking for, you actually have to look where you are putting your finger. Many people don't like that, they want an actual button that they can feel and click, even w/out gloves on.

I don't know. I think once you get used to it. You can't live without it. I don't really get bothered by the touch stuff that much anymore. Although one thing I noticed is that saying "I'm hot" no longer turns max A/C.

It's not MFT. If they design the thing to work properly, it would have been fine. Like software wise, if they just did the right programming. It was just terrible programming on Ford's part especially because they wanted to take the whole thing in house... The Touch Screen is great. It's just that they programmed it stupid. I mean Cadillac's infotainment system was fine.

I think MFT looks nicer. I think MFT makes the car look cleaner. If only they paid for good hardware, and good programming like most phone makers would do.

lol it's no different for phones with me. I hate not having physical buttons. I loved my blackberry phones with the full qwerty keyboard because I could type full speed without having to look. I can still type without looking with the touch screen phones, but without having anything to feel for a frame of reference, the accuracy of typing isn't as good as it was with a physical qwerty board.

The explorer with MFT actually only has ONE physical knob/button, the volume, everything else is still a touch button, not a physical button. The smooth black surface looks nice, but it's not ergnomic at all for trying to operate controls while driving, or accidently bumping into one buttom while feeling for something else. I lost count of how many times I went for the volume knob and either accidently turned it off, or accidently hit a tune up/tune down button inthe center ofthe knob. Gimme regular buttons damnit! lol
Um, not to be a smart-a** or anything, but you do know there are some physical buttons on the steering wheel you can use for volume control and other things, right? These are much easier (and safer!) to use while driving to control basic functions versus trying to mess with the center console or touch screen.

For volume and changing of stations, I almost always use the buttons on the steering wheel. Otherwise the MFT works great for me.

Um, not to be a smart-a** or anything, but you do know there are some physical buttons on the steering wheel you can use for volume control and other things, right? These are much easier (and safer!) to use while driving to control basic functions versus trying to mess with the center console or touch screen.

yes physical buttons that I have to scroll through menus on the dash screen to select to change the fan speed, change the temp, change the radio station, etc. Yes I can adjust volume, but there's a physical knob for that in the center stack. The steering wheel buttons are a far cry from the physical buttons in the center stack. I want 1 click action, not 18 click scrolling up/down/across menus to select from Sirius to HVAC to Nav through the steering wheel directional pad. My Raptor I can accomplish any of those things with 1 click of a physical button on the center stack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is Ford still considering modifying the Explorer's center stack to provide more buttons/switches/dials?

Back