Ignition Cylinder Fail, Second Time! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Cylinder Fail, Second Time!

ofc

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hey all,

I'm a new member; I posted an into last week after I purchased a 2013 Explorer Sport. Four days after purchase the ignition cylinder locked up, and I had to have it towed. One of the local Ford dealerships installed a new ignition switch and another part (can't remember what). I picked it up on Tuesday (two days ago) and this morning the ignition locked up again!! I'm so frustrated and not sure if I should be looking for a new rig or what, but I can't keep this up. It only has 388 miles on it, and I've had rentals for longer than I've had my new car. I'm not entirely sure how to contact a Ford rep on this site, but I'm talking with a rep over the phone. Anyone seen this problem with the new models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

I'm a new member; I posted an into last week after I purchased a 2013 Explorer Sport. Four days after purchase the ignition cylinder locked up, and I had to have it towed. One of the local Ford dealerships installed a new ignition switch and another part (can't remember what). I picked it up on Tuesday (two days ago) and this morning the ignition locked up again!! I'm so frustrated and not sure if I should be looking for a new rig or what, but I can't keep this up. It only has 388 miles on it, and I've had rentals for longer than I've had my new car. I'm not entirely sure how to contact a Ford rep on this site, but I'm talking with a rep over the phone. Anyone seen this problem with the new models?
I think 'looking for a new rig' is a bit extreme for this problem. Parts fail, even new ones. Take it back and have them repair it again. Then if it fails I would be a little concerned.
To contact Crystal, the rep monitoring this Forum, just look for a post by FordCustSrvc, click on that name and choose the option to send a Private Message. She will need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.
Good luck.

Peter

Hey all,

I'm a new member; I posted an into last week after I purchased a 2013 Explorer Sport. Four days after purchase the ignition cylinder locked up, and I had to have it towed. One of the local Ford dealerships installed a new ignition switch and another part (can't remember what). I picked it up on Tuesday (two days ago) and this morning the ignition locked up again!! I'm so frustrated and not sure if I should be looking for a new rig or what, but I can't keep this up. It only has 388 miles on it, and I've had rentals for longer than I've had my new car. I'm not entirely sure how to contact a Ford rep on this site...

Hi ofc,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved. As Peter stated, I'll need a private message (PM) from you with your VIN, dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

I think 'looking for a new rig' is a bit extreme for this problem. Parts fail, even new ones. Take it back and have them repair it again. Then if it fails I would be a little concerned.
To contact Crystal, the rep monitoring this Forum, just look for a post by FordCustSrvc, click on that name and choose the option to send a Private Message. She will need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

Crystal

I am surprised to hear that the sport model does not feature the push button ignition like the limited. Are the limited's the only ones with this feature?

I am surprised to hear that the sport model does not feature the push button ignition like the limited. Are the limited's the only ones with this feature?

It does have the push button start but you have to get the 402A package.

Thanks for the info dink187!!

Ignition switch: 2013 explorer dead

Hi folks - tried searching and didnt find anything like this so maybe i just got unlucky.

New 2013 ford explorer XLT. 2 months old, about 2500 miles on it.

Drove to a little quickie mart before going on a trip, came out of the store and went to start up and the key wouldnt budge. Locked solid. Not a steering wheel lock - I know what that is. No matter what I did, the key would not move.

yesterday - I had a hard time getting the key out for a few seconds, but it came free and I shrugged it off. Also had a hard time turning it to start which I though wierd - like the key wasnt inserted all the way - I was wondering if the heat was doing something wierd with the electronics, but this felt like more of a mechanical problem.

Anyway - back tothe quickie mart...I call Ford Roadside Assistance seeing as this thing is brand new and they dispatch a tow truck to take it to the dealer. If the key doesnt work, not much they can do really.

While waiting, I try the key again. Fiddle this way and that... and suddenly the entire ignition switch pushes INTO the dashboard. I didnt force it. Now I am like, WTF.

Tow truck shows up, and we mess around until we find the shift interlock release so that he doesnt have to drag it up onto the flatbed.. that was interersting too.

The dealer was all out of rentals since it is a holiday weekend and I had to scramble to find a rental a couple miles away... a little pickup - but at least it runs.

I stretched to buy a brand new explorer because I was stranded once too often in my old Ford Escape (I had it for 9 years) and now only 2 months old and Im stranded again! ARRRHHH! Its 95 degrees out and im on the side of the road with no wheels to put the family in.

Anyway.. Anyone ever heard of such a thing on the newer Explorers? Dealer seemed pretty surprised. Dont blame them, I was surprised to have the ignition switch actually fall apart both by not working and then falling out of the dash.

Sheesh. Just a bit annoyed. :(

Hope they get it sorted out quickly for you.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post as to where you found the "shift interlock release" just in case someone else should need the info. It sounds like you did a bit of searching for it. I think this would be good information to hold on to for the future.

Thanks so much!

Hope they get it sorted out quickly for you.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post as to where you found the "shift interlock release" just in case someone else should need the info. It sounds like you did a bit of searching for it. I think this would be good information to hold on to for the future.

Thanks so much!
Each Owner's Guide has the procedure explained in it. For the 2014 online Explorer Owner's Guide use the following link;

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...rGuidePage&year=2014&make=Ford&model=Explorer

For this Guide it starts on page 210. It even has pictures.:thumbsup:

NOTE:For owners of a Limited model with push button start, all that is needed to move the shifter without the engine running is to hit the push to start button twice without putting your foot on the brake. This should release the shifter.

Peter

Hi folks - tried searching and didnt find anything like this so maybe i just got unlucky.

New 2013 ford explorer XLT. 2 months old, about 2500 miles on it.

Drove to a little quickie mart before going on a trip, came out of the store and went to start up and the key wouldnt budge. Locked solid. Not a steering wheel lock - I know what that is. No matter what I did, the key would not move...

Hi spr.

I'd like to look into this for you and see how I can help. Please send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

Ashley... Thank you kindly for the response.

I didn't talk to the tech, but the dealer left me a message that they replaced the ignition cylendar and that I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll see if I can find out any more info.

Again, thanks. Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

Thanks peterk9! As always, you provided great information!:)

When our 14 XLT arrives, I will highlight that in our manual...just in case!

Thanks peterk9! As always, you provided great information!:)

When our 14 XLT arrives, I will highlight that in our manual...just in case!

yep it is in the manual.

I couldnt find it for a minute... in the index it is listed under 'Transmission' - Brake Shift Interlock (BSI).

It wierd because there is a little nub in there - feels like a button or a small lever. The button is oriented and mounted towards the rear of the little compartment and the button protruding towards the front of the vehicle. The directions say to 'gently PUSH and hold' the 'lever' but that would not work for me. I actually had to PULL the button (towards the front of the vehicle) and then it released. Not easy as this made it a 'two finger' operation in a very small space.

The dealer didnt mess around trying to figure out what happened. They just replaced the ignition cylindar. They did say they they had seen one other Explorer that did this.

Ashley... Thank you kindly for the response.

I didn't talk to the tech, but the dealer left me a message that they replaced the ignition cylendar and that I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll see if I can find out any more info.

Again, thanks. Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

No problem, spr. I'm here if you need anything in the future!

Ashley

Back