Dipped the wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dipped the wheels

Decided to dip the wheels today. Wucha guys think? Also wucha think about that centercap? Black it out too? Tires look puny now so gotta get some 30s or 31s :D I think it'll look better once bigger tires are on there.

C4F-761E0A3D572E-1803-00000059326D2DFD_zps3b6e80a5.jpg

FFF-1BB9E6231B5B-1803-0000005938727B49_zpsba89317f.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it'll be interesting to see how Plasti-dip holds up to the high temperatures of disc brakes and the constant extreme temperature fluctuations.

How long did you allow between coats?

just did mine the other day as well. I'm also skeptical about hold up especially against rain and car washes. Wondering how many coats are necessary for it to remain pretty close to permanent

blackwithbluelips-Copy_zps6a288b78.jpg

just did mine the other day as well. I'm also skeptical about hold up especially against rain and car washes. Wondering how many coats are necessary for it to remain pretty close to permanent

blackwithbluelips-Copy_zps6a288b78.jpg

Why you decide to blue out the edge? So far against all kinds of weather here in Hawaii including rain theyre holding up fine. I just did 4 coats.

How long did you allow between coats?

Around 8-10 minutes Lol.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Plasti-dip holds up to the high temperatures of disc brakes and the constant extreme temperature fluctuations.

I'll post an update pic in a while. A lot of people do it and I dont read many people having problems with it staying on.

They were at one point all blue but it was hideous so I decided to go all black and then last minuet thought" what if i did this instead" and here's what I have now.

Applying adhesion promoter can help for the plastidip to have a stronger hold.

mini update. no cracking or peeling on the wheels or bumpers.

05C-BF851BB2FB59-5545-000001266AAD8EF3_zpsee6aa5f7.jpg

:thumbsup:

Applying adhesion promoter can help for the plastidip to have a stronger hold.

You actually don't want the Plasti-Dip to adhere to the wheels any more than it already does. Its formulated to be semi-permanent in the fact you can peel it off.

The number of coats is what really makes it durable.

You actually don't want the Plasti-Dip to adhere to the wheels any more than it already does. Its formulated to be semi-permanent in the fact you can peel it off.

The number of coats is what really makes it durable.

Yupp. Did 3-4 coats and it's holding up fine.

65-5477A4566FE2-14197-00000313A001F2B5_zps127b9ac2.jpg

I "dipped" the wheels on my DD Ranger about a year ago... They've held up fine so far.

I used 3 cans of black on mine, they looked great until the first time I went off road. 3 of the 4 tires are peeling now. Not sure how I should go about repairing the three that are peeling. Either I try spraying over the peeling spots or peel the wheels back to stock and start over. Anybody had experience with this??

Back