• Register Today It's free!

LT or SAS???

Entrixable

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer V8 XLT 4x4
Like the title says, long travel or sas? What would be better for off roading with? i know long travel is more for baja type stuff but i dont really have the slightest clue as to what would preform better on trails, i dont plan on hardcore mudding so would long travel be for me? Or would a d44 be better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too vague.
I have a D44 TTB LT. Does great on the go fast, it will trail ride ok, but is over kill and sits too low and wide. Tire size wanted, driving style, budget, is it a dd or toy and fab skills are info you need to include before most people are going to be able to answer your question.

With the info given I would do a TT and 31s.

Well i try to make it more clear, shes my dd/toy, like i said i dont plan on mudding so i dont want huge tires id say 33's would be big enough. Im not scared to weld/cut/fab, im not the greatest but i do have family whom are very good with a welder. I live in alberta so it would be rocky trails/parries. I will say that i am plannin on coilovers very soon, my keys have the kevlar bonded to them and ford tells me that there a discontinued item

I would vote SAS then. Old school broncos did great in the baja 1000 back in the day. Being from canada you wouldn't have to ship very much stuff. V6 SAS are pretty straight forward from what I have read. Being a DD, you would have more reliability from a SAS because you use alot more factory parts rather than one off parts with a LT kit. My LT is cool, but it would suck to drive everyday. You could even keep the spring under in the back for some better go fast or flip it for a budget. Being full width, I would try to stay at 80" wide or under. Just my opinion.

Alright thanks, thats exacly what im looking for. I wanna hear opinions form people who have done this sorta thing because im new to the offroad scene

I've had a 68 bronco and have a LT TTB mounty now. My mounty is made to go fast in a straight line. The bronco was actually more practical all around. If you look at a jeepspeed style cherokee, thats about what an explorer is. Because people that build jeeps use 8.8 explorer rear ends, upgrade the front axle, strengthen the unibody, and try to keep the motor from over heating. We have the 8.8, a frame and don't over heat. You really just need the front axle. I would look (as a basic idea only) of what the jeep speed guys do to make the straight axle handle well at speeds. This will give you an idea of how to make a trail vehicle that you can open up some on the open roads.

Ill have to look that up, thanks. How dose the d44 handle for everyday use? Like on pavement

Personally i'd say neither. Save your money, a sas is way overkill for a dd sometimes trail toy with only 33"s. I'd put your coil overs on like you said, shackles, then spend the rest of the money on a set of air lockers, gears, sliders, etc.

You could also consider getting a Superlift if you can find anyone who has one on hand.

FWIW, I don't care much for shackles, an Add A Leaf is a better investment for a small lift IMO.

Personally i'd say neither. Save your money, a sas is way overkill for a dd sometimes trail toy with only 33"s. I'd put your coil overs on like you said, shackles, then spend the rest of the money on a set of air lockers, gears, sliders, etc.

Well said, if youve got the money to play, put it it the right areas.

Thanks again for the advice guys. If you dont mind me asking what are sliders?

They protect your rockers. You can lay the rig on them with no damage. I have a tread about mine on here somewhere.

Sliders are similar to running boards in style except they are tied to the frame and made of metal so that you don't damage the rocker panels. If you do a quick google image search you'll see tons of different designs. Unless you plan to go a lot bigger in tire size, I would also say stay away from the SAS or LT kits.

I just looked those up and seen some pretty sweet setups, ill definitely have to infest in a set.

They are great, i am on mine all the time! I cut out my rockers and placed the sliders where they use to be. It really tucks them up nice and high and gives me 2"s total of clearance under the body with no extra lift. With the setup I talked about above you'll be able to do a ton.

Mine (35"s, d44/9" full spool rear, locked front)
Haughs_100905_3371.jpg

I usually hit them pretty hard on this obstacle...or it's the rear end...something hits hard when i get it

Ill have to look that up, thanks. How dose the d44 handle for everyday use? Like on pavement

Once again, its a factory part. It will hold up better than a custom kit IMO. But the guys are right, if I had to choose between body armor (sliders, bumpers, etc) lockers, and recovery equipment (winch). I would rather have a stock, locked, protected, explorer with a winch than a bad ass supsension. Alot of people run the torsion bars and a body lift for years of wheeling. I only answered the question in the title SAS or LT. But if you haven't offroaded much take it out stockish and make your own decisions after you know what you want it to do. Thats what I did.
merc15.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

PS. My yota was 2wd with 205/75 15 street tires. It went alot of places. The other pic is my merc stock. It had a factory limted slip and was AWD (no low range) It went everywhere my buddy's lifted cherokee went.

Thoses are some pretty sweet lookin rigs guys. And yea after thinking about it i agree that my money would be better spent on some body armor, a nice winch, and a locker. Thanks for setting me straight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like the look, The bumpers looks awesome.

Back