Rebuilt engine is loud? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt engine is loud?

When I got the death rattle it sounded as if it were coming from the rear bottom of the engine. It ended up it was the rear tensioner that was shot. If one's bad, why not both? And the noise was quieter with the engine cold. And if he had it tore down why wouldn't he replace the tensioners anyhow? What's he consider a total rebuild?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Break in oil(done right) should be straight weight oil without high additives for anti-wear. That is supposed to be run for 20 minutes, and then discarded, with the filter. Then a normal oil should be used for 500-1000 miles, no synthetics or odd velocities. A good 10-30 or something close to that should be fine for almost anywhere(0-20W to 10-40Wish). 20-50W will function, but it should not be needed, that will create some wasteful drag. People successfully run 0-20W in newer engines.

The external chain tensioners have mechanical springs inside of them, those are their weak link. Those don't last 100k miles often, which is why you read of them failing so much. But even when new that spring isn't magic, it could become weak in a short time, not immediately of course. I would avoid saving or reusing any of those.

Those tensioners shouldn't allow a lot of movement of the cassettes, so if that ends up being the item that the noise takes you to, I don't think they will be the problem, unless the shop reused them etc.

Given a proper rebuild, the oiling system or initial break in wear make more sense to create slop in clearances, and noise comes with that. I'd be really sure that the external tensioners are new, and then look to the other stuff.

Well, I called two dealerships and they both said that they didn't have the room/time to look today because they're trying to get as many cars out the door before tomorrow (rushed, half-assed work anyone??) so I hit up a few different random shops/used car lots around my area (all were cool enough to look at it without charging me anything) and it was pretty unanimous that they all think it's the back timing chain rattling.

I think dude just got a bad batch of parts. Either that or he needs to find a different source. The timing chain rattle up front WAS fixed with another new tensioner. I can confirm that because he gave me my tensioners back. Unless he used a used one he had laying around? *shrugs* But I know personally that I could see through the oil cap the cassette was rattling back and forth before taking it back and the first thing I did when I got there was to pop off the cap and look inside and with the replaced tensioner, the cassette was stationary. I replaced HIS new back tensioner with MY new back tensioner (one I bought before getting the rebuild done) and it still makes the noise. So I'm guess that means the cassette is crap somewhere?

So back she goes next week to get worked on again. This whole experience has definitely gotten us motivated to look for a second vehicle. This whole "renting a second vehicle" stuff sucks. Thought I found a good truck today at the ford dealership only to get there for the test drive and was told "sorry, it has a bad engine. someone was suppose to call you and tell you" :banghead:

Get a 302 Explorer Limited, or high optioned Mountaineer, 98-01's. The engine and trans is nearly bullet proof, only really abused units will give trouble. You have to baby a SOHC 4.0, and the weak trans, plus never miss a fluid change etc, or expect the same issues people post about here all the time.

Any decent Ford mechanic can work on the 302 versions, those engines are out there in the millions, and no other engine has as much aftermarket support. That is why those are cheap as crate motors, reman's etc.

Honestly when we do finally get a second vehicle it's going to be a mid-size truck. Now I just have to decide between a Tacoma, Dakota and Frontier (maybe even a explorer sport trac if done up right). (save your hate bashings for another thread. We all have our own opinions. lol) I don't NEED a big giant full sized truck and am happy with the mid-size ones. If I would have known/put more thought into it I honestly probably would have done a ohv swap in my explorer instead of a rebuild. That bridge has already been crossed AND burned so no turning back. (Hey man, can you put my engine back together how it was and give me my money back? I changed my mind. lol)

Good luck, and the Sport Trac has only a V6 SOHC engine available, until the bigger body 05(?)'s.

My signature tells everyone what I think of Jap junk(Honda/Toyota/Nissan) etc. I keep my money in America where we need it more than they do.

There are tons of vehicles, American brand vehicles, to choose from. There is no excuse for buying Asian brands, you just do not care about our country, or your neighbors, as much as you should.

Look harder. :salute:

I'll give you a recommendation for the Tacoma, been driving a brand new one for about 8 weeks now. It's a great truck for the money, really nice ride, very smooth powerful V6 and Toyota quality.

CDW, while I DID appreciate your thoughts/inputs on my original problem it stopped when you started slinging hate. If you want to be a hateful tea party person then you are more than welcome to start your own thread. PLEASE do not jack my thread to start throwing around hate. If you don't like my choices to buy a vehicle from somewhere other than 'murica then don't let the door hit ya where evolution split ya.

NNJ, thank you for your opinion on the toyota. I'll probably PM you with some questions as I DON'T want this thread turning into a hate-slinging off topic thread (which I SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the previous post) People don't want to read through bullshit to get to the points/basics of what the thread was started for.

Same goes for anyone else. If you want to post/reply about the problem I'm having with my explorer then so be it. If you're going to be a dick and come on here and sling hate you have no place in this thread.

Just took her back to the guy today. He came walking out of the shop and first thing he said is "Damn she sounds good. I thought you said she was making noise?" So pretty much I just learned a "bend-over $3500 life lesson". I told him that she IS making noise (there was a diesel truck sitting outside idling and both of his shop compressors were running making a lot of noise) I told him to kneel down by the tire, that the noise is coming from the bottom/back of the engine and that MULTIPLE shops all said the same thing (with no pushing from me) that it was the back chain making noise. He said he's rebuilt over 200 of these motors and they ALL sound the same and he's never had one come back and that with aftermarket parts and not ford oem parts "things don't line up 100% so there's going to be a little noise" (which doesn't make sense but oh ####ing well) Not long after this, the guy who helped out with the rebuild comes walking out and says "Sounds like a 4.0 to me. These things were ALWAYS noisy as hell" I asked him why it wasn't noisy for the past 10 years before the back chain started slapping when I brought it to them? He just shrugged and said I must be lucky.

I told him I WAS NOT happy with the sound and he SAID they'd tear into the motor and see if the chain is loose (whether they're going to actually do it or let it sit there for a couple days and then just call me remains the mystery) My only other option is to get a lawyer and then have to take it to multiple shops to get "proof" that the back chain is slapping and needs re-done to "make my case" because right now it's his word (a reputable engine shop) vs mine (some random joe off the street). I barely had enough money to get this rebuild done let a lone hire a lawyer AND pay shops to tear into it to give me a written estimate for evidence. Not only that but what happens if I win? They tell him to rebuild it? Do I REALLY want this M.F. back inside my engine after losing a court battle?

After he calls me back to come pick it up I'll update you guys (if anyone gives a ****. lol) and let you know what happens. Anyone know how to quiet the noise long enough to trade it in??? :shifty_ey lol

Update: Dude called me this morning and surprise surprise he couldn't find anything wrong. Said the timing chain and cassette were in good shape and tight. I told him there IS something wrong because a gas engine isn't suppose to sound like a damn diesel. He "reassured" me that everything looks perfect and that they were going to put it all back together and he wants me drive it for another 1000-1500 miles to see if the noise goes away (yep, that's right. the guy who said she sounds great wants me to drive it longer to see if the noise goes away. *sigh*) He was suppose to call me back today after they got it all put back together (I'm questioning how much they even took apart. I know they took the upper intake off because he said the BRAND NEW gasket had a split in it. Told him it had to be someone in-house because I haven't touched the damn thing and he got quiet and said "well, either way we replaced the gasket") but I never got the call. So tomorrow is another day of agonizing and waiting.

Anyone in the central florida area feel like helping me do the ####ing job right? :banghead: lol I guess for now I'll just drive her into the ground while saving up for a different vehicle. If the sound doesn't go away or just gets louder I'll take the ***** back to him AGAIN and AGAIN.

Can I take the valve cover off just to look at the back chain/cassette without screwing up the timing or anything else? I'm not going to change/mess with anything. Just want to see if it's all "tight" like he says it is. Thanks guys.

For any of you that are still reading this. Can anyone explain this sound to me? My poor exploder has started making this noise at RANDOM start ups. It's only done it about 3 times since I posted last. It only started making the noise AFTER I did an oil change (put in dino 5w30 with a motorcraft filter. Dude said he was running 20w50 after the rebuild) YES I have enough oil in it. At least according to the dipstick. It only last for about 5 minutes and not quite as bad as what's in the video. I'd say towards the end of the video (at about 40 seconds) when it's slower is about what mine sounds like. If anyone is still out there reading this I appreciate the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqDxj5wKJk

draining lash adjuster?

If the origin of the noise is high in the engine in the vicinity of the valves it could be a draining hydraulic lash adjuster. When an engine is disassembled or if it sits for a long time the oil in the lash adjusters can drain causing excessive valve lash similar to a stuck hydraulic lifter in an overhead valve engine. I had a noisy lash adjuster after replacing my timing chain related components. I went for a "test drive" approaching the maximum engine speed in second gear and it was quiet after that.

There's an oil tube above the camshaft on each bank that is kept in position by tabs under three of the camshaft bearing cap retaining bolts.
ToolsLft.jpg

The tabs are easily broken by a careless mechanic.

Well, let me throw this at you then. Do you think that would coincide with what drdoom said about it sounding like I have low oil pressure?

I'm thinking either A)this stuff has to be tied in together somehow(the chain slapping noise and now this random knocking) or B)this guy did a sloppy job and just threw everything together as fast as he could (told me he usually takes about 7-10 days to do a rebuild and he had it back to me in a few days because he was going on vacation the following week)

I still haven't had a chance to get the oil pressure tested yet because this rebuild/renting a car for a month drained most of our savings. I was going to wait and have it all done at once at the stealership while they do a diagnostics test for other problems I'm having. (problems that were happening before the rebuild)

Back