• Register Today It's free!

5000 RPM's going 20mph

zoie1960

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Just recently my new explorer had something strange happen. I had the A/C on max because it was hot outside and I had driven about 5 blocks and heard this noise sounding like a motorcycle only to figure out it was my explorer. I was going 20 mph and the RPM's were up to 5000! Also it seemed like I had no power at all. I looked at my control panel and I believe the coolant light was on along with the check engine light. I immediately pulled over and called the dealership. They towed it in and have not figured out what's wrong with it. Nothing shows up on the computer either. Has this happened to anyone else? They're going to put me back into my explorer without figuring anything out and I'm very leery about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes my Explorer drops into a really low gear and revs really high. Happens on hot days.

Any chance you were driving the EX in manual trany mode? Sometimes happens.....:mad:

No it was in Drive when this happened. Plus the check engine and engine coolant lights were on too. Thanks though

Just recently my new explorer had something strange happen. I had the A/C on max because it was hot outside and I had driven about 5 blocks and heard this noise sounding like a motorcycle only to figure out it was my explorer. I was going 20 mph and the RPM's were up to 5000! Also it seemed like I had no power at all. I looked at my control panel and I believe the coolant light was on along with the check engine light. I immediately pulled over and called the dealership. They towed it in and have not figured out what's wrong with it. Nothing shows up on the computer either. Has this happened to anyone else? They're going to put me back into my explorer without figuring anything out and I'm very leery about this.
The engine has a self protect system in cases where it overheats.
It will reduce power and the temp gauge goes to High. This does not however explain the increased revs. I don't know if this is what you experienced or not. This normally would occur if you are towing or under severe operating conditions. It may also show the following message;POWER REDUCED TO LOWER TEMP.
I hope they find the problem and are able to fix it.
Good luck.

Peter

I wonder if the higher RPM is part of that protection mode.

From Manual: If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine.

Maybe higher RPMs are used to get air in and out faster for more cooling.

Actually, I don't think so it's the overheat condition. I don't think it'd rev so high if it was in limp mode because that would just cause more heat and damage. Sometimes, the tranny just sticks at a random low gear and rev's really high. It did that a lot my first 10,000 miles of when I drove the Explorer. I thought it was normal and just the tranny acting funny because I just shift it to Manual mode and upshift it. It's just like it won't upshift at all.

My 2013 did the same with not shifting. Dealer applied TSB 12-10-10 update and fixed it.

My 2012 limited did engine rev with little power,however without the other lights. Took it to dealer got the old "could not duplicate" and nothing was done. Has not happened since.

My 2012 limited did engine rev with little power,however without the other lights. Took it to dealer got the old "could not duplicate" and nothing was done. Has not happened since.

It should have left some kind of trouble codes. Did they read them?

I agree it should have left a code, however it did not. The service guy treated me like I was fool saying I must have had it in manual but I had tried everything including putting in reverse and backing up and switching off and re cranking to no avail but when I got to the dealer it had started acting right and they could find nothing wrong. The dealership treated me very well resolving another problem I had where Ford was unwilling to so I will continue to use them for service, but I will not deal with that guy anymore.

Just recently my new explorer had something strange happen. I had the A/C on max because it was hot outside and I had driven about 5 blocks and heard this noise sounding like a motorcycle only to figure out it was my explorer. I was going 20 mph and the RPM's were up to 5000! Also it seemed like I had no power at all. I looked at my control panel and I believe the coolant light was on along with the check engine light...

Hi zoie1960.

I'd like to look into this for you. Can you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll explore some options on my end.

Ashley

Back