• Register Today It's free!

New Issue: Liftgate Opening

rmp301

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
For several days now, I have had the lift gate on the Ex opening when I put the truck in drive. Several months ago, I realized that it must fully latch before shifting into "D" ........ Which seems a bit crazy as I would think it should latch up, not reopen. Anyway, knowing of this quirk, I am careful to note that I am "buttoned up" before driving off. On three occasions now, after latching up and having no indicator light on the dash saying that the rear hatch was open, I have found that it has reopened itself while driving. This is very disturbing and is just another problem with this truck. There are just way to many issues that I have experienced with the Ex. I'm afraid that this will be another visit to the dealership that they won't be able to replicate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the forum for TSB 12-10-7. I had the same issue repaired under this TSB.

Search the forum for TSB 12-10-7. I had the same issue repaired under this TSB.
Found the TSB and printed it out. Txs for the info. Now back to the dealer with another issue yet again! :mad:

Now that I've looked up the lift gate issue, Am I correct in reading that the lift gate SHOULD NOT reverse itself on start-up? Mine always has since day one and I am reading here that it is not intended to do this. Just want to be sure that I understand this correctly.

My 2011 has always reopened if I start the truck before it has latched. I would like to know the logic for this feature.

Liftgate

I have a 2011 Explorer and my liftgate does NOT reverse when I start the vehicle. When the gate is closing and I start the vehicle up, the gate momentarily pauses and then continues to close and latch. It also does not reverse itself when closing and the vehicle is put into Drive.

Peter

I've had the tsb done and once completed, it does not reverse direction once starting. It also does not pause like Peter stated his does when starting up. I had this done over a year ago and 25,000+ miles and never a hickup since. I can even put it in drive while it is closing and it continues.

My 2011 has always reopened if I start the truck before it has latched. I would like to know the logic for this feature.
Looks like we have the same issue ...... It is broke and we didn't even know it!

I have a 2011 Explorer and my liftgate does NOT reverse when I start the vehicle. When the gate is closing and I start the vehicle up, the gate momentarily pauses and then continues to close and latch. It also does not reverse itself when closing and the vehicle is put into Drive.

Peter
Thanks Peter :)

I've had the tsb done and once completed, it does not re Erse dire took once starting. It also does not pause like Peter stated his does when starting up. I had this done over a year ago and 25,000+ miles and never a hickup since. I can even put it in drive while it is closing and it continues.
Thanks for the insight on this. Mine wouldn't open in cold weather and that was repaired, but this is a real problem, especially with it opening back up when I'm driving!

Thanks for the insight on this. Mine wouldn't open in cold weather and that was repaired, but this is a real problem, especially with it opening back up when I'm driving!

Holy typos.. damn cell phone. That will teach me to proof read.

Anyways, I duplicated my issue easily for the dealership. If you let it close beyond 50% and start it, it will reopen 50% of the time. The closer to closed, the easier to make it happen. The fact it didn't do it 100% of the time proves it is not by design.

Holy typos.. damn cell phone. That will teach me to proof read.

Anyways, I duplicated my issue easily for the dealership. If you let it close beyond 50% and start it, it will reopen 50% of the time. The closer to closed, the easier to make it happen. The fact it didn't do it 100% of the time proves it is not by design.
Your right on the money with that info! It was hit or miss when I would try it, but following your instructions, it reverses itself every time! Nothing like replicating it to the dealership when I bring it in. My only other concern was it's opening up when driving. On every occasion, it has latched and I can see everything in the rearview camera as I back up, so it isn't traveling up when I back out. I hope that this TSB covers all the issues with the liftgate. Txs! :salute:

Your right on the money with that info! It was hit or miss when I would try it, but following your instructions, it reverses itself every time! Nothing like replicating it to the dealership when I bring it in. My only other concern was it's opening up when driving. On every occasion, it has latched and I can see everything in the rearview camera as I back up, so it isn't traveling up when I back out. I hope that this TSB covers all the issues with the liftgate. Txs! :salute:

My guess is that moisture got into the module that controls it and is causing it to act like that. That was the issue with the tsb.. parts were getting corroded. Even if the tsb doesn't pertain to you, that doesn't mean that part won't still fail and need replacing.

The dealership can't deny something you can duplicate in front of them. Don't let them say that while the vehicle is starting, power interruption can cause it. I've taken video of mine after the tsb and posted it as proof on how it functions correctly.

If needed, I can repost it for you.

I re did my testing and waited until the hatch was almost closed before starting the vehicle. Sure enough, the hatch did reverse. That in itself isn't a big deal for me. It only takes a few more seconds to close and lock. Not sure why it will continue to close if this is done when it is halfway closed but not when almost closed. :dunno:

The opening while driving is an other issue completely. That is a 'safety' issue.

Peter

I re did my testing and waited until the hatch was almost closed before starting the vehicle. Sure enough, the hatch did reverse. That in itself isn't a big deal for me. It only takes a few more seconds to close and lock. Not sure why it will continue to close if this is done when it is halfway closed but not when almost closed. :dunno:

The opening while driving is an other issue completely. That is a 'safety' issue.

Peter
Your absolutely right Peter. The first time it happened, I thought I messed up ...... The next two times I watched it latch and lock with the liftgate adjar light going off on the dash. I became hyper attentive and know that it was the truck messing up, not me. Stopped at dealership and explained the situation as well as a copy of the tsb. They photocopied it and ordered the kit and will set up an appointment when it arrives. :salute:

For several days now, I have had the lift gate on the Ex opening when I put the truck in drive. Several months ago, I realized that it must fully latch before shifting into "D" ........ Which seems a bit crazy as I would think it should latch up, not reopen. Anyway, knowing of this quirk, I am careful to note that I am "buttoned up" before driving off. On three occasions now, after latching up and having no indicator light on the dash saying that the rear hatch was open, I have found that it has reopened itself while driving...

Hi rmp301 and deerfarm.

I would definitely bring this to your dealer's attention and have it diagnosed. Let me know if you still need help once they've taken a look.

Did the dealer get you squared away, blwnsmoke? Let me know if you need anything.

Ashley

Took it in Ashley ....... They are ordering the parts kit and will do the TSB when they get it in.;)

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction, rmp301! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Was notified that the dealership has the TSB kit in. I will drop it off Monday and have it repaired to specs! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back