Need help deciding what to buy - explorer or 4runner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding what to buy - explorer or 4runner

Hi there! We are ready to buy a new SUV, and one of the primary things we will use it for is for hauling a small livestock trailer 20-30 times per year. The trailer is 2200 lbs and loaded would probably be 3500 ish at the max. Otherwise it will be just a normal mom SUV. Today I stopped in at the Toyota dealership and looked at a 4runner and he mentioned that for towing, a truck based chasis (the 4runner) would pull better than a car based chasis. We have been pretty loyal ford owners and I get the A plan discount, but I really like the look of the 4runner. Do you all know if he was just a salesman talking to a woman and trying to convince me or is there some merit to what he says?

Thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, as much as I hate to say, the Toyota man is right. In my opinion, a body on frame, RWD or 4x4 makes a superior tow vehicle. Unibodies can tow, there is no doubt, but I believe a frame can offer a superior towing experience. A primarily front wheel drive unibody wouldn't be my first choice for towing. But- no more than you say you are going to tow, the drawbacks of a "truck" like vehicle would probably outweigh the benefits of a unibody CUV. Ride and particularly mileage will suffer. Just my $.02.

I love Ford but the 4Runner is still actually am SUV with utility. Towing 2-3x a month on average, I'd go with the Toyota as much as I hate to say that. Ford chose their direction and it seems to be working for them but the Explorer is definitely more refined, less workhorse now.

if you are looking used then get 1-3 gen expo/expo sport, or a trac as both gens of tracs are body on frame. first gen trac being more rigid rear end but the second gen offering a v-8

Thanks for the help all. We are in the market for new, and after studying the room behind the 3rd row on the 4runner, I'm leaning more towards the explorer, even if I give up a little for towing. I recently mentioned to my husband maybe we should get an expedition, so that could be on the table as well!

I have a first gen explorer and my parents have an expedition (2011..?)

The expedition is an amazing vehicle, and it is deffinetly "workhorse" enough to tow. We just finished a roadtrip from idaho to nevada pulling a 7 person family, luggage, a boat AND two jetskiis on a three place trailor. Not on a single problem other then blowing a hub on the trailor.

Oh and it's extremely comfortable, luxurious and a good family vehicle ;)

just my two cents.

Back