4x4 low will not engage but 4x4 high works - P1822 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 low will not engage but 4x4 high works - P1822

hrannar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all

I am new here on this forum :)

I have a Ford Explorer 2004 XLT that will not engage 4x4 low.
And yes:), I have followed the correct steps repeatedly: put gear in 'N' pressing the brake and then pressing the 4x4 low button but the yellow ligth just blinks and nothing happens.
I can engage 4x4 High without problems (I can feel how the steering stiffens up.)
The fluid on the transfercase has been replaced very recently.

I took my car to a Ford mechanic who connected it to a scanner that displayed that there was an error: P1822, and that means:
'Transfer Case Clockwise Shift Relay Coil Short To Battery'

He did try to replace the two relays (on the left side to the engine) but with same results.

Has anyone had similar problems?
What would be the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Hrannar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know some members had an issue where a ground wire inside the transfer case would come loose and cause it not to shift. If you search I know there was detailed instructions to diagnose and repair if this is the issue.

I know some members had an issue where a ground wire inside the transfer case would come loose and cause it not to shift. If you search I know there was detailed instructions to diagnose and repair if this is the issue.

I know this is an old thread but hope some one catches it. Now by inside do you mean splitting the transfer case open inside??

I know this is an old thread but hope some one catches it. Now by inside do you mean splitting the transfer case open inside??

No. There is a pigtail connector that comes off the back of the shift motor. The ground wire damage was found in or near the connector. Also, follow it to it's grounding point (it's very short) and make sure it is secure.

Thanks for the comments - I will go through the wiring and get back to you with the results.

I'm having the same issue...4H but no 4Lo... light doens't even blink.I cleaned the ground wire on TC all wiring looks good there and have tried the Pos battery cable reset with key on to no avail.Most likely the module behind glove box??...

Wow i am having this problem as well!! Well some version of it.. My 2004 will blow the 30 amp shifting motor fuse if I shift it in to 4x4 low..the first time it happened my truck was 3 miles down a flooded dirt access road in the middle of the adirondacks in new york! It was stuck in 4x4 low and would still drive but wouldnt shift out of low. I almost **** my pants. But I calmed down and did the first thing i knew i should do and checked the fuse box. Switched out the fuse and I was able to shift it out of low. I thought maybe my shifting motor got wet or something because I was driving through some water. Well lets fast forward 6 months...I am pulling a boat out of a lake, and decided to shift to 4x4 low to pull it out of the water (this being the first time using low since my backwoods heart attack, and I didnt even think). So the truck makes a loud noise, and it is stuck between gears it seems. If i hit the gas the engine just revs, if I take my foot off the brake the truck rolls into the water (as the back tires are in!), so i try to put it in park and it just GRINDSSSSSS the gears and wont go in to park. So again, here I am... This time STUCK on a ramp leading in to a lake and I cant go forward, cant get it in gear, park and my parking brake is broken. So I am sitting there with my foot on the brake laughing and shaking my head. Again, the 30 amp fuse blew and I got a friend to replace it then the truck would shift.

Havnt tried to put it in to low since, high works fine and I may never put the truck in to low for any reason ever again.

Blowing fuses every time On my 4x4

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer sport tract XLT and I keep blowing the fuse under the hood don't know why. I would appreciate any help you can offer to assist me finding this problem. Once I replace the fuse it will go into 4x4 hi and 4x4low and the fuse blows again. Where should I start looking for the problem.

Blowing fuses every time On my 4x4

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer sport tract XLT and I keep blowing the fuse under the hood don't know why. I would appreciate any help you can offer to assist me finding this problem. Once I replace the fuse it will go into 4x4 hi and 4x4low and the fuse blows again. Where should I start looking for the problem.
Hello all

And yes:), I have followed the correct steps repeatedly: put gear in 'N' pressing the brake and then pressing the 4x4 low button but the yellow ligth just blinks and nothing happens.
I can engage 4x4 High without problems (I can feel how the steering stiffens up.)

I took my car to a Ford mechanic who connected it to a scanner that displayed that there was an error: P1822, and that means:

He did try to replace the two relays (on the left side to the engine) but with same results.

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Hrannar
Here is a solution. I know this is an old post, but I've had the same problem on my '01 Explorer Sport not switching over to 4x4 lo as many of you have. After many searches I've found the answer that many have not responded to. First of all if your Hi and Lo lights up on the dash for a second when you first start your vehicle, then your module is good, second if your light is on Hi when engaged but no light when going to Lo, don't go replacing the transfer case motor yet. Go through the normal steps by putting your shifter lever in neutral with foot on the brake, now try wiggling your shifter towards D or R but not actually putting in those ranges. All it was on mine was the neutral safety switch was out of adjustment. To replace it, it is located on the driver side of the transmission with the shifter cable connection and wires leading to it. Hope this helps everyone....

A neutral safety switch wouldn’t blow any fuses. If you’re blowing fuses your shift motor is locked up, or you have a wiring issue.

You can test your neutral safety switch by trying to start the motor in neutral.

A neutral safety switch wouldn’t blow any fuses. If you’re blowing fuses your shift motor is locked up, or you have a wiring issue.

You can test your neutral safety switch by trying to start the motor in neutral.
You are correct on the wiring issue blowing the fuse. I was trying to respond to the no Lo engaging issue...

You are correct on the wiring issue blowing the fuse. I was trying to respond to the no Lo engaging issue...
These are two different problems...

hi, i have a explorer xlt 2004, the 4x4 high turns on great but when i crossed the directions it has a strongs hit and sound, thats normal? also the 4x4 low doesn't turn on, i don't know whats the problem

Hello all

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Hrannar
My 2002 Sportster is stuck in 2WD Low!! I've never owned a 4WD vehicle and I didn't now that the truck had too be in neutral while turning the switch too change back too 2WD !!!! What's the repairs for SUCH and how much$$$?

Unbolt the shift motor and shift it back. Not being in neutral shouldn’t hurt anything, it just shouldn’t try and shift. Do you mean 4low?

Hello all

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Hrannar
I have similar problem. If I pull my transfer case actuator motor off, I can manually put it in 4x4 high and low. New computer, new actuator motor, fuses 17 and 18 under hood good, ABS working, ran a ground directly to the transfer case, reset battery and now at a lose. Run it by me and I will try.

Hello all

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Hrannar

When I bought my old Explorer it had similar 4x4 shift issues. The previous owner had been told by a mechanic that the switch at the transfer case needed replacing. But I read online somewhere that sometimes the switch gets stuck/corroded through underuse, and all you had to do was short the switch out directly to get it to work again. Lost the link now, but all I had to do was take off the switch at the transfer case (easy job), and short out a couple of pins until it turned again. Worked fine after that.

When I bought my old Explorer it had similar 4x4 shift issues. The previous owner had been told by a mechanic that the switch at the transfer case needed replacing. But I read online somewhere that sometimes the switch gets stuck/corroded through underuse, and all you had to do was short the switch out directly to get it to work again. Lost the link now, but all I had to do was take off the switch at the transfer case (easy job), and short out a couple of pins until it turned again. Worked fine after that.

These vehicles are pushing 20 years old and if nobody used it in a while you can bet something will get stuck or leak. I don't think the previous owners of ours ever used either 4 high or low. I tested it out and wound up having the front pinion seal start to leak. That shaft probably hadn't turned in over a decade.

Got it fixed and it's been fine ever since, but I make a point of putting it in 4 high and low every few months just to keep it limber.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem on my 02. Almost never use 4WD and it sits more often than being driven. So I crawled underneath and banged around with a rubber mallet. Not hard, obviously. Had my wife pressing the 4Low button repeatedly. It worked. Not the most sophisticated solution, but as mentioned, these things are getting old. Sometimes tapping and banging gets stuff moving again.

Back