Help - removal of the rear emblem for sports explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - removal of the rear emblem for sports explorer

sherwing2000

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sports
Fellow members,
I was trying to replace the rear emblem today but failed to do so. I'm trying to do the same as Hartley did to his sport explorer. Is it just a double sided tape or it srewed in from the body? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read it was glue; and that he used a heat gun to soften and peal off. Then he had to remove the left over glue residue stuck to the housing.

It is the same as the front emblem that has a black plastic housing behind the actual emblem

It is in fact a cover. The one I purchased had double-sided tape, and I added some of my own 3M double-sided tape. No removal of the factory emblem is necessary. I also got the cover for the front. For both, I used black adhesive vinyl (gloss) to cover the chrome on the factory emblem so that none of it is exposed when the cover is on (about 1/16" to 1/8" of chrome would be exposed without the vinyl).

I also got the cover for the front. For both, I used black adhesive vinyl (gloss) to cover the chrome on the factory emblem

Did you vinyl over the entire oval and then stick the cover onto it? Any issues so far with it peeling or shifting at all?

I'm wondering if its possible to paint the edges or since its chromed it might not take...

I cut a 1/4" strip of the vinyl (3M graphic film) and wrapped it tightly around the back edge of the oval so that it fit the contour of the oval. I only used enough to make sure I covered any chrome that would have been exposed after putting the cover on. I used a good amount of double-sided tape underneath and pressed firmly on the cover for 2-3 minutes to get a good bond. I have had the vinyl and covers on for about a month with no peeling of the vinyl or shifting of the cover. The vinyl lays flat on the surface of the factory emblem, but there is so little of it exposed that you really don't notice it. It blends quite well with the cover.

Back