Finally got my 5.4... getting ready to drop it into my 04 Mountaineer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally got my 5.4... getting ready to drop it into my 04 Mountaineer

Did you finish or did you run into a roadblock and start working on something else? What's happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please...what's going on with this. I'm begging you coletrain777...

...bump.

Sorry guys... I have just been really busy working on others folks cars and buying/selling cars and the Monty has just been sitting. I haven't run into any issues, it looks like it will be a fairly straightforward install... If anyone wants to swing by and lend a hand with the motor/tranny install I would be glad to ha e thé help and share all tips/info I have :)

This is a great thread!! Any idea if this swap would be possible in a 4.0 Explorer? The transmission is the same as far as I know don't know about the bell housing though. All I forsee the need for is.
4.6 intake
4.6 PCM and Harness
4.6 radiator???
4.6 y pipe (exhaust?)
4.6 manifold or a 5.4 one??

Mainly, is the physical body of the truck the same on the 4.6 and 4.0? If they are than doing the swap on a 4.0 is just a matter of buying more parts really right?

Calling mr. colettain777....

Wow... Holy long time away Batman!
Well, I decided to say no to everyone elses projects and FINALLY get this motor installed. I will get it dropped in some time next weekend probably, but I wanted to make everyone aware of another modification that needs to be done.

On my setup I needed to use the 4.6 oil pan due to it being the right sump setup. Upon getting the engine all buttoned up and rotating it over numerous times I was getting some horrible metal on metal noises... NOT GOOD! Upon taking off the oil pan I found the issue, there is a bracket tacked to the bottom of the inside of the pan that causes interference with the 5.4 crankshaft. No biggie, just cut off the offending metal, but wanted to make everyone aware of this incase someone in the future didn't rotate the engine over before reinstalling. Heres a pic of the area and beside it are the pieces I trimmed from it.

20141003_112711.jpg

Great info, Thanks coletrain777 !

So, you started this due to this thread if I recall:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261909

You'd spoken to GottaBigBlock who basically said he just dropped it in. I didn't see him say anything about flex plates or any of the fabrication you had to do.

What's your opinion on his thread now that you've played with it?
I can get a 2000 DOHC Navigator engine for cheap, want to know your thoughts based on your experience now. Seems like you've had more issues than he'd mentioned. You said you'd met him, did you actually see his 5.4 in his Mounty?

Back