Stereo Upgrade Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Upgrade Question

imnee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
OK, I am in the process of replacing all factory stereo components in my 02 XLS. I have 1 600w RMS Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the door speakers and 1 500 RMS Rockford Fosgate 1 channel amp for the Sub. I have the factory speakers removed and the new Alpine speakers are direct replacements.

The issue I have currently is how to run the 4 Ga wire and RCA cables to the amplifiers (mounted under rear seat). Anyone done this or have pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I am in the process of replacing all factory stereo components in my 02 XLS. I have 1 600w RMS Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the door speakers and 1 500 RMS Rockford Fosgate 1 channel amp for the Sub. I have the factory speakers removed and the new Alpine speakers are direct replacements.

The issue I have currently is how to run the 4 Ga wire and RCA cables to the amplifiers (mounted under rear seat). Anyone done this or have pics?

hey man, what exactly are you having trouble with?

I ran my power cable from the battery through this rubber grommet right under the brake pedal under the kick plates to my trunk then used a distribution block to split the wire to two, one to each amp.

I ran rca cables from behind radio, underneath the glove box area and down the passenger side kick plates. Then up under back seat to my trunk.

Make sure you run rca and power on separate sides.

I then grounded the amps to a bolt that holds the seat to the frame.

I ran my power cable from the battery through this rubber grommet right under the brake pedal under the kick plates to my trunk then used a distribution block to split the wire to two, one to each amp.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::salute::salute:

i'd also bump up to 0ga wiring, at least to the distribution block then 4 to each amp.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::salute::salute:

i'd also bump up to 0ga wiring, at least to the distribution block then 4 to each amp.

Yeah good point about the 0 gauge. I use 4 gauge and have no issues but had I installed both amps at the same time id have used the 0 gauge.

Locations For Running Cables

Well I was not exactly having trouble just planning since I ordered all of the equipment. The 4x8's showed up on Friday so Installed them this weekend. After removing the kick plates I realized there was plenty of room in the existing wireway for speaker wire as well as the amp power cable and the RCA's. (Power on driver's side and RCA on passenger side).

I ran new 14 ga speaker wire from the speakers direct to the amp through the existing flex wireway. The drivers side was a pain, there is a fuse block that blocked me from pushing the wire through. I ended up drilling and using a rubber grommet. I would post a pic but I don't see how without selecting a url...

I removed the head unit, now I just need to find the path under the glove box you mentioned for running the RCA's.

I agree on the wire gauge recommendation for power. Doing the math it worked out to 2ga or 1/0 depending on the length. I contemplated the larger gauge wire, however, I'm an old guy and I will NOT be running this setup for max performance. I will have the gain set conservatively on both amps, just looking for good clear sound. Half the time I listen to talk radio:).

I appreciate the reply.

Thanks,

Imnee

hey man, what exactly are you having trouble with?

I ran rca cables from behind radio, underneath the glove box area and down the passenger side kick plates. Then up under back seat to my trunk.

Well I was not exactly having trouble just planning since I ordered all of the equipment. The 4x8's showed up on Friday so Installed them this weekend. After removing the kick plates I realized there was plenty of room in the existing wireway for speaker wire as well as the amp power cable and the RCA's. (Power on driver's side and RCA on passenger side).

I ran new 14 ga speaker wire from the speakers direct to the amp through the existing flex wireway. The drivers side was a pain, there is a fuse block that blocked me from pushing the wire through. I ended up drilling and using a rubber grommet. I would post a pic but I don't see how without selecting a url...

I removed the head unit, now I just need to find the path under the glove box you mentioned for running the RCA's.

I agree on the wire gauge recommendation for power. Doing the math it worked out to 2ga or 1/0 depending on the length. I contemplated the larger gauge wire, however, I'm an old guy and I will NOT be running this setup for max performance. I will have the gain set conservatively on both amps, just looking for good clear sound. Half the time I listen to talk radio:).

I appreciate the reply.

Thanks,

Imnee

Wiring the speakers up through the driver door was a pain. Took me a while.

Ill try to get some pictures of how I ran the wires under the glove box.

Back