• Register Today It's free!

Tire Jack Warning

DMesk

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited
I felt the need to warn all the fellow Ex owners about the tire jack. The one I had broke when using it. I had a flat on my trailer which weighs less 2500lbs and the fourth turn it pulled the jack apart causing the trailer to drop a inch or so. Felt very lucky. I was using the stock lug wrench and in know way overloading the jack. After looking at the construction of the jack I would not use it to jack my car. I cant use mine since its not functioning. It was the weld holding the nut on that broke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I felt the need to warn all the fellow Ex owners about the tire jack. The one I had broke when using it. I had a flat on my trailer which weighs less 2500lbs and the forth turn it pulled the jack apart causing the trailer to drop a inch or so. Felt very lucky. I was using the stock lug wrench and in know way overloading the jack. After looking at the construction of the jack I would not use it to jack my car. I cant use mine since its not functioning. It was the weld holding the nut on that broke.
Thanks for posting that information. Hopefully it will make members more aware of a possible problem should they ever have to use the jack.:thumbsup:

Peter

Interested in what ford has to say about this.

Any pics of the jack? Curious what exactly it did...

Any pics of the jack? Curious what exactly it did...

I second this. The jack for my 2005 Jeep GC also failed like that.In that case the nut the long screw shaft went through stripped out on the shaft. I was lifting the truck with it though, not a trailer like the OP.

I doubt Ford would say anything as he was lifting something other than the EX with it.

Pictures

IMG_0812.jpg

The light color around the bushing on the end of the screw is the weld. less that 1/16", The bushing fits into a sleeve. It wasnt the threads stripping but the bushing pulled from the hole it was mounted in

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 499

Good reason to carry a 3 Ton floor jack with me on trips!

Too late. :)

That does look a bit wimpy though...

I dont think the jack should break using the supplied lug wrench. Not much leverage I am not asking Ford for anything. It would be nice if they improved the jack. It appears to be a weld quality issue from their supplier.

I felt the need to warn all the fellow Ex owners about the tire jack. The one I had broke when using it. I had a flat on my trailer which weighs less 2500lbs and the fourth turn it pulled the jack apart causing the trailer to drop a inch or so. Felt very lucky. I was using the stock lug wrench and in know way overloading the jack. After looking at the construction of the jack I would not use it to jack my car. I cant use mine since its not functioning. It was the weld holding the nut on that broke.
So how about a picture of the trailer? Was it loaded or empty?

While I agree in principle that the jack should be able to lift a load not in excess of the design weight, whether it is the Explorer, or something else - I bet Ford's response would be that the jack is designed specifically to lift the Explorer and it takes no responsibility for its use to lift other vehicles, etc.

Its a boat trailer that was loaded w/ 17' Lund that weighs 1700 lbs. I am not asking anything from Ford. Just letting the people here know to be very cautious using the jack. I most likely got a bad jack out of the thousands sent with the cars. Or was it one of the better ones? What I can tell you is that the jack failed and am glad it wasnt while I was changing the tire on my car. I now carry a new scissor jack on my trailer from wmart that cost $25 and it looks a lot stronger.

Maybe the jack is made to the Explorer specs ....... Don't know if I would have jacked up a trailer with the veh jack.

Back