• Register Today It's free!

Cam locking tools

Shooteruk

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face Exploder
If the 4.0l engine in the Ex is an incarnation of the Cologne engine, would the cam locking tools for a 2.8 Granada engine also work on it? Also why does the Granada not suffer the same chain issues the Ex does?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tools

hi
the engine in the granada was over head valves unit with push rods to operate the valves the early explorers used this type of engine but all the explorers sold new in the uk have over head cam engine. so to do this they replaced the camshaft with a jack shaft to drive the chains to the cams one chain at the front for l/h cam and one at the back for the r/h cam. they also added a balance shaft lots of chains and guides. the problem is that the plastic/nylon they used for the guides didnt last and they break up letting the chains flap about. in the states this was a recall for modified guides over here no such luck.
so the tools for the granada dont work on a ford sohc engine

Ahh I understand now. I was led to believe that they were both pretty much the same engine but with different capacities. Where as it would appear that although they are both cologne engines the 4.0l has had quite few more bits added to it.

our 4.0 is a over bored 2.9 block but with a 1mil extra thick wall and smoother bigger flow ports, the bottom ends on these are built to the limit of block, only the heads are what makes the most out of the block, stick the 24v cosworth heads on our 4.0 you will gain 30/40 hp, the chain bolt guide holes on the 2.9 block are still visible on the 4.0 block so its easy to convert to single chain with the cosworth heads

our 4.0 is a over bored 2.9 block but with a 1mil extra thick wall and smoother bigger flow ports, the bottom ends on these are built to the limit of block, only the heads are what makes the most out of the block, stick the 24v cosworth heads on our 4.0 you will gain 30/40 hp, the chain bolt guide holes on the 2.9 block are still visible on the 4.0 block so its easy to convert to single chain with the cosworth heads

Does anyone have the process for this then? If it's possible to reduce the cassettes and chain drives, thus reducing the risk of failure, surely it makes sense to convert to this set up, not only do you reduce the risk but also gain extra hp. Or am I missing the point?

not on stock heads, only the 24v cosworth heads this can be done

I like the sound of this, I think I'll have to keep an eye on eBay for a Cosworth lump. There's one on there now for 250 but I only want the heads so maybe I'll wait a while and see what turns up.

iv not got a qoute from garage but it will be a engine out job as the shaft that run through the block to do the rear cam will have to be blocked or welded up.

engine

hi i have an engine here if anyone wants one to experiment on its free if you collect.
cheers chris

Back