2WD to 4WD conversion; 98 Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2WD to 4WD conversion; 98 Sport

May I ask why you didn't just sell yours and buy a 4x4? I've never understood swaps that the end result is basically what you can already buy factory made.

Make sure you plug the speedo gear hole, it will leak. I just chopped up the plug that's there and gooped on some RTV but it does weep a little. A solid plug would be preferable.

I love my truck!! This was my first vehicle, and although there's things I'd like to change about it I wouldn't get rid of it. I like that I know what needs tlc and I know what needs fixed. Mainly I'm just way too sentimental :)

thanks for the heads up about the speedo hole. I'll pull it off and see what it looks like. I'm thinking tap it and give it a bolt, but we'll see.

That's correct as the pilot bearing in the flywheel will support the shaft.

Good luck with the swap!

Thanks dude! I was worried when I pulled it, but in every aspect it seems to be a good solid tranny.

And yes the goal is an eventual SAS. nothing extreme, but I don't want to mess with the IFS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are these connections?
tcasecircled_zps2293a04c.jpg

one more bump for this question. I'm pretty sure circle #1 is for the "4x4 low" light. correct? and I don't even have a guess for circle #2.

I think #2 is a vent, a rubber hose goes over it and up to the frame rail.

tranny is out! Taking a quick break. hope to have the rear main replaced and the new clutch in tonight. pictures to follow after the work concludes this evening

Well there's always something isn't there? I stripped the head on one of the flywheel bolts and had to grind it off. :mad: now I can't figure out how to get the self-tapping screws to set in the rear main without scratching the crank. I'm gonna get some sleep and try it again in the morning when I'm not exhausted. I hope I can source a replacement flywheel bolt tomorrow. I need my truck for school on monday

I used a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole. I still nicked my crankshaft. I think that's what's causing my leak right now. I have to check it out next when I replace my trans. Hopefully I can find something to fix it.

I ended up drilling a hole as well. rear main is replaced. I'm gonna order some new bolts for the flywheel tomorrow. I won't be able to finish her up until next weekend. I'm exhausted and I didn't get anything accomplished haha

I've had many a days where I've broken more things than I've fixed. The end does eventually come though!

whew!! Transmission is in!!

The best thing I could find to drive in the rear main seal was a 2-1/4" socket. worked well enough for me. The correct bolts for the flywheel was part #F77Z-6379-AC. Listed as intended for the SOHC, my OHV had them. the correct socket for not breaking them was a 12mm star socket, which I got a set of at Harbor Freight. I hope to be driving this tomorrow evening

Good job! Getting that trans in is the hardest part. Smooth sailing after that.

WOOO!! All back together! A couple noteworthy things. I wasn't entirely sure whether I got the rear main seated properly. It was even and flush with the crank hub. couldn't get it flush with the block surface, which I think is where the original was at. unfortunately there was 2 weeks between the removal and installation.

another interesting thing was the shift fork for the 1st gen is different than the fork on the 2nd gen. I had to use the 1st Gen shifter, but thats ok cuz I prefer the knob.

The most prominent oil leak I had was at the rear of the engine at the lower intake manifold. I did a temporary repair at this location with RTV. I'll have to get it dealt with ASAP.

You can swap the top cover plate to use your old(newer) shifter. Someone said the newer style has a shorter throw. A little late now but it can be done in the future.

I have to battle my rear main again. I don't think I got it on quite right and it's leaking a few drops over night.

well I'm not leaking any fluids SO FAR. I drove down to Eugene with it, put about 80 miles on it. When I shift into reverse it "catches" as if I don't have the clutch in all the way. Forward gears have had no issues. the tranny is noisier than the 2WD one, I'm not convinced this tranny is in very good shape. I'm gonna rebleed the clutch to double check, But I may end up putting the 2WD drive back in. We shall see...

Mine does the same for reverse. If I leave the clutch in for a few extra seconds before putting it into reverse it won't or if I snag first then reverse it's ok. The gears are still spinning and it's normal for a small amount of grinding if you do it immediately.

Mine is very noisy but I know mine has some major issues.

thanks. It didn't do the reverse snag on the way home, I may have left the clutch in a bit longer. I'll mess around with it. I don't think my old tranny ever did that. If the reverse ends up not being an issue I may keep the 4x4 tranny. It has quieted down a bit since yesterday. I do have a small oil leak, I just have to figure out if its the rear main or by the lower intake

UPDATE!

so its been quite a long time since I've had the tranny in and have been thinking about this project. I nearly sold my Explorer cuz I'm having trouble making ends meet. but I finally have a job and school is still going so I'll be able to keep my head above water.

The 4x4 transmission is working very well all things considered. every now and then I'll grind the gears going into first or reverse. mainly when I'm tired or not thinking about it. but when my foot isn't lazy it shifts just fine! I miss my 2WD as far as smoothness of operation and lack of noisiness, but this transmission is doing just fine.

I really want to get the shifter worked out for the transfer case though. I want to be able to shift into low range!

I haven't been able to find the shifter at the auto wreckers in my area. theres nothing on Ebay or Craigslist. I'm gonna check with some tranny shops in town and see if I can track one down. if not I may have to build one, if thats even an option for me

I found a transfer case shifter! I pulled it from a 92 Ranger, it was just hanging there from when the yard pulled the tranny. I got so lucky!
I'll try to install it in the next few weeks. I'm ready to have that part of the swap done and buttoned up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna hafta go to the stealership to get the bolts for the shifter. Anyone happen to know what part #s I need for those? I need both bolts that hold the shifter to the tailshaft housing

Back