New Issue: Liftgate Opening | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Issue: Liftgate Opening

I have to test this.

On the 4th of july I was at a friends house.. just a couple miles away and had to run home to pick up something.

Ran home, left the car running... (Actually - not sure I left it running) ran in, got it, ran out - popped open the back inserted gear and hit the 'close' button. Jumped in front, and left.

100 yards up the street I realize the back was wide open.

I was thinking to myself - really? Am I that much of an idiot? Could be. Closed it and didnt think of it again until I read this.

So - Guess I need to test to see if putting it into Drive before the hatch is fully closed caused it. Interesting.

** Update - tested and rear works correctly on my 2013. Prior event must have simply been me being an idiot. Wouldnt be the first time. ;-) **

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started the truck while the lift gate was closing and it reopened again! TSB done and in shop for three days to repair this problem and it still does EXACTLY the same thing as before! Not only does this truck have issues, the issues are not rectified when brought in. This truck is a waste!

Started the truck while the lift gate was closing and it reopened again! TSB done and in shop for three days to repair this problem and it still does EXACTLY the same thing as before! Not only does this truck have issues, the issues are not rectified when brought in. This truck is a waste!
As I have mentioned before, if I start the vehicle before the hatch is about 1/2 way down, it will just pause and then continue to close. However, if I start the vehicle when the hatch is almost closed, it will reverse. To me this isn't a big issue and I'm not even going to have it looked at. The closing function is predicable so I just govern myself accordingly. Based on my personal experience with the Explorer over the past 2 1/2 years, I think it is a fantastic vehicle. At least mine is.:thumbsup:
Sorry you don't feel the same way about yours.

Peter

As I have mentioned before, if I start the vehicle before the hatch is about 1/2 way down, it will just pause and then continue to close. However, if I start the vehicle when the hatch is almost closed, it will reverse. To me this isn't a big issue and I'm not even going to have it looked at. The closing function is predicable so I just govern myself accordingly. Based on my personal experience with the Explorer over the past 2 1/2 years, I think it is a fantastic vehicle. At least mine is.:thumbsup:
Sorry you don't feel the same way about yours.

Peter

I understand what you are saying, but what use was the TSB update? Now I must wonder if the tailgate will reopen when driving, as in the past. This as well as the Terrain Management Fault that was never isolated and the constant MFT issues leave one wondering of what use a new vehicle is if none are resolved to my satisfaction. I'm glad that you have no issues with your purchase ..... I cannot say the same for myself though. :thumbdwn:

I'm wondering if they replaced everything that the TSB calls for. The TSB calls for an inspection for moisture.. and there are a couple different parts to replace depending on the condition of them. It all has to due with whether they see moisture or not in certain parts.

My guess is that they didn't replace every part which is causing you to have the same issue.

I can say that everyone that I've seen who has had this tsb done has had the same results as me.

1) The liftgate no longer pauses while you are starting the EX (just one continuous motion closing)
2) The lift gate no longer reverses itself at any point during the close when starting up.

My Ex is going in possibly the end of the week (waiting on the parts to come in) and I will have them pull the paperwork on the liftgate TSB and I'll let you know what parts were replaced so you can compare.

I'm wondering if they replaced everything that the TSB calls for. The TSB calls for an inspection for moisture.. and there are a couple different parts to replace depending on the condition of them. It all has to due with whether they see moisture or not in certain parts.

My guess is that they didn't replace every part which is causing you to have the same issue.

I can say that everyone that I've seen who has had this tsb done has had the same results as me.

1) The liftgate no longer pauses while you are starting the EX (just one continuous motion closing)
2) The lift gate no longer reverses itself at any point during the close when starting up.

My Ex is going in possibly the end of the week (waiting on the parts to come in) and I will have them pull the paperwork on the liftgate TSB and I'll let you know what parts were replaced so you can compare.

Thanks for the info. That's what has me wondering as well. I seem to be the only one having the same issue with the truck as before. And the liftgate DOES pause when started ..... Then reverses itself. And once again ...... This after keeping the truck three days to repair ........ Wonderful! :mad:

2014 Owners Manual, p.78

Note: Cycling the ignition while the liftgate is power closing and is near the latch may cause the liftgate to reverse to full open position.

Didn't check the 2011-13 manual. YMMV.

Didn't check the 2011-13 manual. YMMV.
you know your right! 2012 manual page 121 does say this. I had to look closely to find it, but now begs the question as to why they did a TSB to prevent this. It also says that this procedure could damage the lift gate, but when I have done it, it has always been inadvertently. Txs for the info.

My guess is that is how it was originally designed so the manual stated that. There have been many complaints as well as tailgate damage reported because it reversed and hit the garage door while backing out.

I can see the design making the tailgate stop while starting to give the engine full starting power although it doesn't need it. However, there is zero reasons on why it should reverse itself. Worst case, it should pause and then continue closing but as I said, the tsb when all parts are replaced has been 100% successful in stopping both except for the latest person.

I have to test this.

On the 4th of july I was at a friends house.. just a couple miles away and had to run home to pick up something.

Ran home, left the car running... (Actually - not sure I left it running) ran in, got it, ran out - popped open the back inserted gear and hit the 'close' button. Jumped in front, and left.

100 yards up the street I realize the back was wide open.

I was thinking to myself - really? Am I that much of an idiot? Could be. Closed it and didnt think of it again until I read this.

So - Guess I need to test to see if putting it into Drive before the hatch is fully closed caused it. Interesting.

** Update - tested and rear works correctly on my 2013. Prior event must have simply been me being an idiot. Wouldnt be the first time. ;-) **
Keep an eye on it ....... Mine opened up while closed and in drive ..... I keep a keen eye on the tailgate at all times now!

Back