Dual 4.2 inch cluster screens - Climate missing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual 4.2 inch cluster screens - Climate missing

SneakyFcasni

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
Hopefully I can get some help here.

To make a long story short I had a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with Sync & MyFordTouch.

This car was replaced thru the Ford RAV Program (Lemon Law) and was replaced with a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with Sync & My Ford Touch.

In addition to having the large navigation screen in the center console I have had the Dual 4.2in cluster screens. On the cluster screen to the right (behind the steering wheel) on the 2013 Explorer I was able to control music, phone, navigation as well as climate. On the 2014 I am only able to control music, phone & navigation. The "Climate" option is now missing.

If you visit: http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/packages/?vehicle=explorer You will see that it says:
Dual 4.2-inch cluster screens
Personalize your screens to view music, phone, navigation and climate.

1 Dealer says: Its 100% supposed to be there we are trying to get it back for you.

2nd dealer says: "It must not supposed to be there." <-- not a positive answer

Ford My Sync Technical Support: "The manual says its supposed to be there so it must be there."

Sorry for the crummy picture but as you will see there is a GAP for the word "climate" but it does not appear!

fordclimate.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully I can get some help here.

To make a long story short I had a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with Sync & MyFordTouch.

This car was replaced thru the Ford RAV Program (Lemon Law) and was replaced with a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with Sync & My Ford Touch.

In addition to having the large navigation screen in the center console I have had the Dual 4.2in cluster screens. On the cluster screen to the right (behind the steering wheel) on the 2013 Explorer I was able to control music, phone, navigation as well as climate. On the 2014 I am only able to control music, phone & navigation. The "Climate" option is now missing.

If you visit: http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/packages/?vehicle=explorer You will see that it says:
Dual 4.2-inch cluster screens
Personalize your screens to view music, phone, navigation and climate.

1 Dealer says: Its 100% supposed to be there we are trying to get it back for you.

2nd dealer says: "It must not supposed to be there." <-- not a positive answer

Ford My Sync Technical Support: "The manual says its supposed to be there so it must be there."

Sorry for the crummy picture but as you will see there is a GAP for the word "climate" but it does not appear!
Welcome to the Forum SneakyFcasni.:wavey:
I see where it says you should have it according to the link you provided but in reading the Owner's Guide I'm not sure. On page 471 it refers to the R.H. cluster and in the examples it only refers to Entertainment, Phone and Navigation. It does not mention Climate.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if another member with a 2014 can add anything.
BTW, it would be very helpful for members addressing future posts if you added the model and year to your profile so that it shows up in the left margin where your name is. Not all models have similar issues.
Good luck and I hope this one performs better than you previous one.:thumbsup:

Peter

My 2013 has Climate if that helps.

My 2013 has Climate if that helps.
Your Owner's Guide also refers to Climate in the "Examples" whereas the 2014 Guide does not. It wouldn't be the first time that Ford's information on their website was incorrect.

Peter

I can confirm that my 2014 Explorer Sport does not have Climate control on the cluster screen.

First the problem enabling the enhanced trip, now the climate taken away.. why did they change the menus on 2014 models? It doesn't make any sense to fragment the user experience. This is very weird decision making. On top of that, I use the climate control screen every day in my '13 I couldn't imagine it not being there anymore.

First the problem enabling the enhanced trip, now the climate taken away.. why did they change the menus on 2014 models? It doesn't make any sense to fragment the user experience. This is very weird decision making. On top of that, I use the climate control screen every day in my '13 I couldn't imagine it not being there anymore.
I would imagine that it is still there as one of the four quadrants on the MFT. I have mine set on 'Auto' and very seldom use that feature.
Not sure what the rationale was for removing some of there features. I wonder if there will be any more 'tweaking' when they bring back some of the knobs?

Peter

Thanks for your help. Ford has confirmed that it is not in the manual which they claim is evidence its not supposed to be there. Oh well.

Question about the climate not being there anymore. Can you still set the heated seats/ defrosters to turn on when you remote start the car on a cold morning?

Question about the climate not being there anymore. Can you still set the heated seats/ defrosters to turn on when you remote start the car on a cold morning?
I'm assuming that 'Climate' has only been removed from the RH screen and is still there as one of the 4 quadrants on the MFT so theoretically everything else should still be the same.

Peter

Lol, what? Why is Ford disabling features? This is concerning.

I agree, but it's really not a big thing. All you could/can do was change the auto temp control setpoint.

I wonder if mft 3.6 is loaded on the 14s.. if it is 3.5, I dont see how there could be differences between the 13 and 14 model years.

I could see two of the same versions running with different options. I would assume its about flags in the system that turn on certain things.

IE, Remote start, Towing, etc.

I could see two of the same versions running with different options. I would assume its about flags in the system that turn on certain things.

IE, Remote start, Towing, etc.

You are right.. remote start is a great example.. killed that theory.

I agree, but it's really not a big thing. All you could/can do was change the auto temp control setpoint.

Still, it was a feature I myself used once in a while. If there's nothing wrong with the feature, then don't remove it. I just want to know why exactly they removed this particular feature.

Well, if and when 3.6 becomes available, I'm going to wait and see what is there and what is missing before I load it. If this is any indication the end game for MFT may be pretty dismal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If 3.6 fixes the "911 reminder" bug, then I will load it. If not, then I will wait. The only problem I have (if you can call it a problem) with MFT is even having the 911 reminder set to off, it still reminds that I have 911 assist set to off. I want 911 assist off and do not want to be reminded that it is off.

Back