• Register Today It's free!

Headlight question.

TwiztidRat

Reaction score
City, State
blah
Year, Model & Trim Level
blah blah
Hey guys, I bought a pack of phillips x-treme vision bulbs to replace my pathetic stock ones. I noticed the low beams still aren't that much brighter but the high beams are. My lenses are clouded because it's hard to see inside there, wondering if that's my problem or if the lights need to be aimed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the factory headlights are not that bright, period.

Yes, getting the cloudiness off the headlights will help.

There is a reason why people do a hid projector retrofit on our explorers. It just might be more work/money than you want to spend though.

Either buff out your headlights lenses, or order some new ones..

Id go with new. They are not that expensive, and only take about a half hour to change.

Id go with new. They are not that expensive, and only take about a half hour to change.

I agree, I put new ones in mine, and after correcting the ride height I adjusted them as well.

My headlights are so cloudy, they could be their own color on the truck. I looked into a halo Projector kit on mine, but am not super great with wiring. How much of a PITA is it to get the full function out of a set of the Halo Projector lamps with the stock wiring? The one I saw was the only one for $250, and looks pretty sharp. (I'll be going with the Black version on my Deep Wedgewood Blue Metallic body color :) )

sunlight eventually begins to break down the plastic used in the headlight lenses. originally they have a UV coating on them, but once that's gone the plastic begins to degrade. you can buff the lenses up again to get them back about 90%, but you'll find it requires you to maintain them about once a month to keep them clear. personally, i say replace them. they're not that expensive from RockAuto, and are pretty easy to change. when i worked in an auto parts store i'd often have customers complaining about how their headlights were dim and asking whether replacing the stock bulbs with brighter/more expensive bulbs would correct their problem. once the lenses become cloudy the light becomes defused. so no, brighter bulbs will not help. one guy wanted his money back because the $60 bulbs didn't help. i looked outside and saw the most clouded lenses i'd ever seen. they were on a Mopar and looked like they were painted white. worst lenses i ever saw. unless you're planning on replacing your lenses, don't waste you money on better bulbs.

Wiring is not bad at all.. It should come with good instructions and or I or others here will gladly walk you through it step by step...

sunlight eventually begins to break down the plastic used in the headlight lenses. originally they have a UV coating on them, but once that's gone the plastic begins to degrade. you can buff the lenses up again to get them back about 90%, but you'll find it requires you to maintain them about once a month to keep them clear. personally, i say replace them. they're not that expensive from RockAuto, and are pretty easy to change. when i worked in an auto parts store i'd often have customers complaining about how their headlights were dim and asking whether replacing the stock bulbs with brighter/more expensive bulbs would correct their problem. once the lenses become cloudy the light becomes defused. so no, brighter bulbs will not help. one guy wanted his money back because the $60 bulbs didn't help. i looked outside and saw the most clouded lenses i'd ever seen. they were on a Mopar and looked like they were painted white. worst lenses i ever saw. unless you're planning on replacing your lenses, don't waste you money on better bulbs.
You actually don't need to buff them from the UV coat every month. After you restore them with Meguiars Plast-X or of the sort, you seal them with a headlight sealant. Not to hard to locate...

Another thing...these Explorer headlights are much harder to restore because of the plastic things that stick out at every corner...

Anzo clear chrome off ebay and some silver stars . Thats what I've done to all my rigs and its a huge improvement. If you want a cheap fix get a can of 2+2 gumsolve Carb and choke spray, spray a neatly folded paper towl and with one swipe only wipe across the whole light. It works very well but if you get too crazy with it it will smudge. Let it sit for at least an hour then spray wax them.

Oh and i have tried this with other Carb sprays and brake cleaners you name it but nothing works like the 2+2 brand.

Back