How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Bigger hammer?

Make sure ALL of the old clip was removed, sometimes the retaining clip breaks and leaves a little piece in the groove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the front drive shaft? I didn't do mine own, I had a drive train shop put it together and balance it.

I used a bench vise.
Large socket on one side to "catch" the protruding u-joint cap
Smaller socket on the opposite side to "push" the u-joint through

Doing the swap this week

Gathern parts

I've got a T.C out of a 2000 F-150 scoped out it's a manual out from behind a 4.6 asking if they have the manual linkage and front drive shaft waiting to hear price.What would be a fair amount to pay and is this compatible with the swap? THANX!

This thread still active?

Is the O.S.S the same as the V.S.S? My 98 has nothing in the transfer case just a divot with a plug where the speedo gear or sensor would be.My O.S.S is in the transmission housing.I have a 97 4406 located with front drive shaft and linkages.I take it I don't need to worry about the sensor in the T.C with O.S.S in the tranny? THANX! :scratch:

Is the O.S.S the same as the V.S.S? My 98 has nothing in the transfer case just a divot with a plug where the speedo gear or sensor would be.My O.S.S is in the transmission housing.I have a 97 4406 located with front drive shaft and linkages.I take it I don't need to worry about the sensor in the T.C with O.S.S in the tranny? THANX! :scratch:

Yes, you can use any of the models with or without a VSS or OSS. I have a 98 also and will use a TC that has the speed sensor, unused. I would like to have the little plug some day to fill the hole.

BTW, our trucks stopped using the VSS in the trans/TC in 1998, the Expeditions(bigger trucks) changed in 1999. So those 1998 4406's will have the sensor in it.

Thank-you!

Yes, you can use any of the models with or without a VSS or OSS. I have a 98 also and will use a TC that has the speed sensor, unused. I would like to have the little plug some day to fill the hole.

BTW, our trucks stopped using the VSS in the trans/TC in 1998, the Expeditions(bigger trucks) changed in 1999. So those 1998 4406's will have the sensor in it.
I thank-you for your time and input! :D Also I've read this link many times and it is a 5.4 Expedition rear shaft & a F 150 4.6 front shaft CORRECT? THANX AGAIN!

Front shaft from a 4r70w f150 or expedition.

And rear shaft from a 4r100 expedition.

Its the transmissions that determines length of the shaft not the motor. The 4r70w is shorter in length then the 4r100. Its a false assumption that only the 4.6 trucks came with 4r70w and 5.4's only with the 4r100.

A+

Its the transmissions that determines length of the shaft not the motor. The 4r70w is shorter in length then the 4r100. Its a false assumption that only the 4.6 trucks came with 4r70w and 5.4's only with the 4r100.
THANX 4 the info!

Still lookn

Made the trip "2hr 1 way" and the T.C was electric :(.but the guy GAVE me the rear driveshaft its a double cardon and 45" from input shaft base to flange face for pinion flange.??? Too long:scratch:?

Ah, so they did mix the two trannies with the two motors.

I have not verified the 4r100 behind a 4.6L. But I have serviced many f150s with a 5.4L and a 4r70w. My moms 02 being one of them.

Thanks for all the info

image-2047380889.jpg

image-2369635782.jpg

image-2610743771.jpg

A few pic of my progress

Where did you find the transfer case? I need to start looking for one.

Call up your local junk yard.

Where did you find the transfer case? I need to start looking for one.

Joe, try this

www.car-part.com

Some of those salvage yards will ship.

The shifter is the hard part to find, so be sure to ask for it when you talk to them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back