Violent shaking after new rims! HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Violent shaking after new rims! HELP

ExploreDeep

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLS sport
So I decided to go with a 16x8 rim with my 32's. Doesn't look bad at all! They're the Vision soft 8's. Look exactly like cragers just shinier.

I got my old tires mounted and balanced on the new rims on Friday last week. All good and dandy right? Went out for a test drive on the highway, my steering wheel was shaking back and forth violently like my wheels were going to pop off. So I got back home, rotated the front tires into the back and took for a test drive... Same reaction, but this time it's in my seat and you can feel the rear going all over the road. I have had these tires balanced 3 times, at 2 diff shops. And I've also got an alignment. I'm thinking bent rim? Someone help!!!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being the offset is different, the tires stick out wider, now your explorer was aligned with the stock wheels, now that your wheels stick out farther your entire suspention geometry has been changed and it could have been out of align before the new rims. Have it aligned and see if it changes, my dads truck was inline then he got different rims with a different offset and then the alignment was off and it rode more ruff and pulled all over the road.

Are they balanced with beads, sticky weights, or clip weights? I would take it back to to a different tire shop because it sounds like these guys don't know what they're doing. Try to find one that has lots of experience with offroad tire balancing. See if they can demount the tires to inspect wheels for runout and go from there. Have them do a thorough steering check as well.

I had it aligned, no change.
They used clip on weights from what I can see. Also, I've been to 3 did shops seen all the balancing and they're perfect every time. My wheel bearing and tie rods and fine also. Ball joints as well.

And al rangers and explorers with independent are lug centric, not hub centric

These vehicles are lug centric. If you can jack it up and get it running to look to make sure nothing is truely bent or out of round. If all looks good I'll put money on you knocked a rotor loose while swapping wheels and rust/dirt is behind it. You will definitely get decent wheel shake from that. Pull the rotors and scrape the mating surfaces with a wire brush, 3M pad, etc. Wheel offset does change the suspension geometry but should not cause vibration. Really the only issue you would come across would be scrub radius being the tire is being turned on a different arc from the spindle.

So just so I am clear... if one were to run hub centric wheel spacers this would result in shaking and vibration?

Hub centric as in how? To have no vibration you would need to have an adapter that bolt on lug centric, then the adapter would be hub centric to the wheel you want to use. Anything other than that will vibrate.

So just so I am clear... if one were to run hub centric wheel spacers this would result in shaking and vibration?

No, the UT/UZ explorers are hub centric -I think those saying they are lug centric are confusing terms.

Hub centric means the weight of the rim is carried on a hub lip, and the wheel nuts simply hold the wheel onto the hub, but don't actually support the weight of the wheel.

Lug centric rims and hubs are where the wheel nuts (or lugs) take the weight of the wheel, and there is no central lip on the hub to carry the weight of the wheel.

I am running 1.5" hub centric adapters on my 2004 limited, and I don't have any vibrations at all.......(it just looks so much better than stock since the edge of the tires are now even with the guards instead of tucked inside).

Here's a link to a good article on what hub centric etc means:
http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels.htm

Jcuz, where did you buy your adapters? And how much were they

Also, my center caps take up most of the space of my rim, how would hub centric rings still allow my center caps to come through?

Jcuz, where did you buy your adapters? And how much were they
I got them from EBay (US supplier). They were around $230 odd for the set of 4, including shipping to Oz.
This is them:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUB-CENT...ccessories&fits=Make:Ford&hash=item4173f6a08b

They have not generated any shudder through the wheel or any other issues.

Also, my center caps take up most of the space of my rim, how would hub centric rings still allow my center caps to come through?
Not sure, but should be OK if the rims are hub centric fitment (which they should be).

Back