Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Keep in mind that just because you can't smell it doesn't necessarily mean that no exhaust is getting into the car at full throttle. Carbon monoxide is odorless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone,

Thank you to those of you who have reached out to me already. If you are still experiencing this concern, I'll be happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service managers. Send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll get the ball rolling.

If we haven't been in contact before, I'll need some additional information to get to work on your cases. Send me a PM with all of your details and I'll check out options to assist. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Questions? Concerns? Just let me know.

Crystal

Hello everyone,
It has taken be a few days to read through all of the pages surrounding this issues and I have to say I feel everyone’s pain. I have 2013 Explorer Sport with 19682 Miles, I have the same issue. Passing someone on the freeway, Smell. Getting onto the onramp, Smell. The best was driving from Houston to Dallas and hitting all of the rolling hills. I had to roll my windows down every time I went up a hill because the smell would start to seep in, Keep in mind I was only traveling 70 to 75Mph which is the speed limit on that stretch of interstate.
My Dealership claims that the TSB is for a Ford Flex and that they could not reproduce the issue. They also suggested I run will my AC set to Max and have recirculate air turned on, which of course does not help.
With so many people here complaining, I am sure there are many more who are not on the forums, is Ford ever going investigate this ongoing issue with so many Explorers?
I love my truck but this smell has to go!

Kenric

Hello everyone,
It has taken be a few days to read through all of the pages surrounding this issues and I have to say I feel everyone’s pain. I have 2013 Explorer Sport with 19682 Miles, I have the same issue...

Hi Cirnek,

Send me your information so I can do what I can to help. When you send your PM, include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Same issue

I have a 2013 Explorer manufactured in March of 2012, with over 35000 miles. I get an exhaust smell after hard acceleration for at least 2 minutes. I am taking the vehicle to a dealer tomorrow, hoping to reproduce the problem for them.

I will go over the 36000 mile mark by the end of the week. I purchased an extended warranty when purchasing the vehicle. Does anyone know if there is a chance the extended warranty will cover it, or does it have to be the original factory warranty?

I have a 2013 Explorer manufactured in March of 2012, with over 35000 miles. I get an exhaust smell after hard acceleration for at least 2 minutes. I am taking the vehicle to a dealer tomorrow, hoping to reproduce the problem for them.

I will go over the 36000 mile mark by the end of the week. I purchased an extended warranty when purchasing the vehicle. Does anyone know if there is a chance the extended warranty will cover it, or does it have to be the original factory warranty?
I was told by my service department that TSB's are only performed free of charge under the factory warranty. I also have the ESP. Best to check and confirm with your dealer just to be sure.
Good luck.

BTW, welcome to the Forum BAT001.:wavey:

Peter

If you have the premium care esp, you should be covered subject to whatever deductible you selected. As Peter stated, tabs are only covered during the bumper to bumper warranty. If I was you, I'd call your dealer of the mileage and make an appt now. As long as you have brought it to their attention within the warranty, they can use that mileage for their computer and not charge you the deductible.

I have a 2013 Explorer manufactured in March of 2012, with over 35000 miles. I get an exhaust smell after hard acceleration for at least 2 minutes. I am taking the vehicle to a dealer tomorrow, hoping to reproduce the problem for them...

Hi BAT001,

Getting to the dealership so they can inspect is a great next step. I can help by looping in your regional customer service manager; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I"ll be happy to get the ball rolling. :)

Crystal

I was able to reproduce the problem for a technician. They are ordering parts for TSB 12-12-4 and will schedule the repair.

Good Luck BAT001, I had the TSB 12-12-4 done and no real improvement. You can see my previous posts above, 689, 719 & 721. I hope your experience results in a different ending.

FairJim

my wife has a new 2013 exp with 3500 miles and shes complaining of an exhaust smell coming from the vents. ive been doing some reading here and looks like the dealers and ford have no anwser. well somethings gotta be done its not safe for a driver to be inhaling fumes. im willing to sign petitions to ford or a government branch to make ford do something about this!!!

Hi volcanoclimber.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you. Can you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley

my wife is having the same issue on her new 2013 explorer and we are not happy!:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Mine is right now for the additional TSB 12-8-8. I know the TSB 12-4-4 didn't solve my problem. Will keep you all posted. I did go through the BBB they are sending out a Firld service engineer, we will see how that goes. I love my car but will not and can not put up with the exhaust coming in. I'm also going to purchase or borrow a digital exhaust meter that is if the smell is still there. Wish me luck

my wife has a new 2013 exp with 3500 miles and shes complaining of an exhaust smell coming from the vents...

Send me your information in a PM, f350powerstroke; I want to do what I can to help. In your message, please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can determine how to best assist.

Crystal

my wife is having the same issue on her new 2013 explorer and we are not happy!:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Hi f350powerstroke,

I reached out to you on another thread you posted on, but I wanted to make sure you know that I'm here to do what I can to assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can check out options to help.

Crystal

Exhaust Enterning Cabin on Hard Acceleration, Highway Speed.

Hi volcanoclimber.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you. Can you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley

Ashley,

I just sent you a private msg with my Vin and additional info you requested.
Below is to keep on this thread for other member to be updated.

Thank you.

I have taken the vehicle to two ford dealerships, one is Super Ford in La Puente California on Gale Ave. At that ford dealership, Oscar Campos was my adviser. When I brought this concern to Oscar's attention, he stated that since they recently corrected the fuel leak problem as a result of the recent recall announced, that this odor should be corrected after that solution. At first I believed it was corrected, but since we can only smell the exhaust odor entering the cabin when on hard accelerations when traveling at highway speeds, when that requirement was needed, I realized the smell was still existent. I took the Explorer and dropped it off for them to have an entire day to test. I was disappointed that by the end of the day, I was told they could not reproduce the problem. So after work I went to pick up the Explorer and had Oscar jump in, the A/C was on, the windows up. When I got on the freeway on ramp, I accelerated hard and I was able to smell the odor, but oddly only a hint of it, and even I told Oscar, I don't smell it, this is weird. When I dropped him off and started home, I realized that the A/C was turned on, but also the A/C max was turned on AND the recirculation was turned on. That's when I realized that the reason why not even I was able to smell the exhaust was due to the recirculation being turned on. I do not drive with the recirculation turned on. The tech must have turned the AC Max due to the heat. So when I turned it off and punched it, the odor entered. By then I was already too far and too much traffic to take it back, not to mention, the Dealership was about to close. So at this time I have to make time to take it back. However, that's where the second dealership comes in, so far I have taken my explorer to Star Ford in Glendale CA. twice for the works oil change service. Both Times I have told Eddie Gonzales, my service adviser there, on both oil change occasions about the smell. He is the one who on the first oil change at Star Ford, that the odor we are smelling is normal and is part of the break in period. He stated he has a Ford as well and his odor did not stop until the 17,000 miles and since my car at the time had about 10,000, it was too new. He did not mark it on my worksheet as a concern. On the second oil change, at approx 15,000 miles and after my visit at Super Ford with Oscar, at Star Ford, I again told Eddie Gonzales about the exhaust smell. Again he did not write it up and his response this time was that there is no way I can smell an exhaust because on this current year explorer the venting system is different and by the way it is configured, there is no way I can smell any type of exhaust smell. After his statement, that's when I said to myself, this is BS. So I insisted on a road test. Since it was a Saturday, he stated he was short handed, but was able to have his manager drive the Explorer alone. The manager came back and stated he did not smell nothing. I asked where did you take the car? He stated just down the street and back. I stated no this has to be done at Highway speeds. So they made an appointment. As a matter of fact the appointment was for today August 9. But I was not able to drop off the car due to my need to have transportation to go to work and I can no longer afford to miss more time from work to dedicate time and not having transportation due to the problems we have been experiencing on our Explorer.

I have taken this car numerous times to Ford for many warranty problems. From the front side windows thumping every time they are lowered, to faulty rear passenger A/C controls, misaligned chassis, to the steering alignment being off to the odor smell. It is crazy how many times I've visited the service department since we purchased the explorer new on January 2013.

Super Ford is close to my work. Star Ford is close to my house. At this point, I believe Super Ford will be the ideal place to keep taking it for the exhaust smell since they are next to the freeway and close to my work. As of this morning on my way to work, I punched it and the exhaust smell entered the cabin. Also aside from this problem. I wish to let you know, the front left and right side windows thump when you lower them. I have taken the Explorer to three Ford Dealerships, including Galpin Ford, Super Ford and Star Ford over 5 times. Parts have been replaced at all three dealerships, the problem persists.

Send me your information in a PM, f350powerstroke; I want to do what I can to help. In your message, please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can determine how to best assist.

Crystal

pm sent, its going to the dealer next week. will keep everybody posted on what happens

Hi f350powerstroke,

I reached out to you on another thread you posted on, but I wanted to make sure you know that I'm here to do what I can to assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can check out options to help.

Crystal

pm sent. i hope the powers that be in detroit are aware of the expl. smell situation :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I picked up my car today after they did the new TSB 12-8-8 and guess what????? It didn't work, surprised no sad yes. I called the service writer right away and he gave me the ford customer service number I called and they are going to have a regional customer service person call me. I already started the BBB claim and will see how that goes. I am really disappointed because I love my car. I hope there is a fix for this if not I won't be driving a Ford again. What is more frustrating is the dealer doesn't even know of the repairs, if it wasn't for this forum they would be telling me I'm crazy. They have had my car for 2 months total since I purchased it last August.

Back