Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

Well is it really humid in CT? Do you carry anything in the car near the recirculating vents that could smell? Check your cabin air filter also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find a different Dealer !! I don't know if its excluded under the warrantee or not, but Dealers have specific products and procedures to remedy this problem. They do it all the time, especially on their used cars. Any Dealer that won't help you out on this does not deserve your business!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well is it really humid in CT? Do you carry anything in the car near the recirculating vents that could smell? Check your cabin air filter also.

Just replaced the cabin filter, smell is just as bad.

How do you handle the recirculation button when you leave the car? If you are always reciruclating, you're not getting fresh air into the vehicle and that will make it smell really fast.

If you're not using MAX AC, make sure the recirc is off.

Do you have the manual or auto climate system? The manual says, if you have the auto climate system, that no fresh air will enter the car when it the system is turned off. Need to find out that if the car is parked (off), will fresh air be allowed in.

That recirc has a lot to do with the smell.

All 3 of our cars have been doing it this summer. It's been nasty and humid in the northeast and the all the condensation sits in the A/C ducts and eventually develops a mildew smell.

A couple things you can do:
1.) turn off your A/C when you're 1/2 a mile from home to get rid of the condensation in the A/C vents, and/or..

2.) Take a can of Lysol and periodically shoot it into the fresh air intakes near the front cowl while the A/C is running on high fan (make sure it's not in 'recirculate' mode) to kill any mildew.

3.) Also, with the A/C running in 'recirculate' mode (fan on high), down near where the driver's and front passengers feet are, you will feel where the interior air is being drawn into the system. Also spray Lysol into these vents, as well.

If you do any one or more of these solutions periodically, I think you'll find a huge reduction (if not elimination) of the horrible mildew smell during the dog days of summer.

Hope that helps!
Tim

How do you handle the recirculation button when you leave the car? If you are always reciruclating, you're not getting fresh air into the vehicle and that will make it smell really fast.

If you're not using MAX AC, make sure the recirc is off.

Do you have the manual or auto climate system? The manual says, if you have the auto climate system, that no fresh air will enter the car when it the system is turned off. Need to find out that if the car is parked (off), will fresh air be allowed in.

That recirc has a lot to do with the smell.

It's the auto system.

I've been driving for almost 20 years now, and I've never owned a vehicle that had a smell like this before, and I've been driving vehicles with auto climate for probably 10 years now.

My wife's Acura is 5.5 years old, and the AC works perfectly and doesn't smell at all.

Just very happy that a vehicle this new would develop a smell and the dealership wants to charge me (probably several hundred dollars) to fix it.

Just very happy that a vehicle this new would develop a smell and the dealership wants to charge me (probably several hundred dollars) to fix it.

I assume you meant "NOT" very happy.....anyway, my GF bought a new 2012 Prius, 2 months after owning it, she developed the mildew smell as well. Dealer charged her $189 for them to use their system to clean it.....She ended up with some floral smelling mask that after it disappeared, the mildew smell was still there.

I'll be getting some of the Kool-it that I linked to and do it for her this next time around. I'm confidant that we will have better results. She has however started turning off the AC a mile or two before reaching her destination to ensure that the system dries out, so this will help her in the future.

And as you stated, I have never owned a car EVER that had this problem, even ones with AUTO climate. You would think that in todays day and age they would have some way to control or prevent it from happening.

And the dealer says this is normal and not a warranty issue...

Hi harlenm,

You can always visit a different dealership for a second opinion. If you'd like my assistance, send your information my way and I'll get this in the right hands. In your PM, be sure to include your VIN, preferred servicing dealership, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

When I picked up my car from the dealer thursday night, the smell was gone. However, it's now back just a few days later.

I ordered the kool-it kit on amazon, 2 actually. Does anyone know where the tube is to spray it in to?

I am also going to spray some lysol in the intakes in the morning.

And lastly, I'm going to look at an Infiniti QX60(formerly jx35) tomorrow evening.

I've been driving for almost 20 years now, and I've never owned a vehicle that had a smell like this before, and I've been driving vehicles with auto climate for probably 10 years now.

Funny, I've also been driving for almost 20 years and every car I've driven (especially in humid climates) has had this problem unless I turn the A/C off a little ways ahead of time if I'm using the recirc feature. I think it's actually worse with the newer, more tightly sealed cars than older cars.

And lastly, I'm going to look at an Infiniti QX60(formerly jx35) tomorrow evening.

You should probably go with a Lexus. They are a derivative of Toyota. And we all know that Toyotas are perfect.

When I picked up my car from the dealer thursday night, the smell was gone. However, it's now back just a few days later.

I ordered the kool-it kit on amazon, 2 actually. Does anyone know where the tube is to spray it in to?

I am also going to spray some lysol in the intakes in the morning.

Watch this Vid, should help... You can also turn your AC on, let it drip ontot he ground a few minutes, then look up underneath and follow the drip up to the tube.

Funny, I've also been driving for almost 20 years and every car I've driven (especially in humid climates) has had this problem unless I turn the A/C off a little ways ahead of time if I'm using the recirc feature. I think it's actually worse with the newer, more tightly sealed cars than older cars.

You should probably go with a Lexus. They are a derivative of Toyota. And we all know that Toyotas are perfect.

Thats funny! Since my 1999 Toyota does the same thing. And has been far from perfect! I was a Toyota man, until that car! Thats why I bought a Ford...!

Actually the mold smell has more to do with 134a than the auto manufacturer. Yes you can thank our government for killing us... 134a requires more fins for more surface area than r-12 did... The fins trap water and mold growth ensues. Great....

For those of you that "never had the smell", you must not have "ever used your AC"!!!! Or you live in the desert...

I've experienced the same smell in my Camry and Explorer '11. Every time I start to get that smell I ran the heater full blast for 5 to 10 minutes, then let the car sit the whole night. Repeat this for a couple of days in my garage, and noticed big improvement in getting rid of the bad smell.
This might be attributed to the accumulation of mold in the AC line, and running high temp air in the line then, letting it sit for couple of hours destroy those molds.

Same

I now have this too. I have had my 2013 for about 16 months. It has 18,000 miles on it and the A/C started having a bad mildew type smell. Will bring it in to get looked at, but it really is strong. Has there been any new methods to get rid of it??? The car has been great other than a few MyTouch issues. Any insight would be great! Thanks.

...this has got2be

This has to be from water sitting somewhere, or sitting in multiple spots.
Close enough to be smelled, somewhere in a pipe or at the water drains (?)

Is the smell constant when it happens, or only until the AC starts?

Ford Parts - Cooling system

I now have this too. I have had my 2013 for about 16 months. It has 18,000 miles on it and the A/C started having a bad mildew type smell. Will bring it in to get looked at, but it really is strong. Has there been any new methods to get rid of it??? The car has been great other than a few MyTouch issues. Any insight would be great! Thanks.

Hi dano257,

Your next stop should be the dealership so they can take a look. They'll be your best bet for getting this resolved. I can also assist by getting your regional customer service manager involved; send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM and I'll get started.

Crystal

I'm guessing there's a part within the HVAC system that allows the growth of fungus/mold/mildew. It looks like only newer vehicles are having this complaint.

If the Ford reps want to check, you'll be looking for what is defined as a "fungus nutrient material" defined in MIL-HDBK-454.

Recycled plastics have this issue. You never really know what its made of. And no amount of Lysol will cure it.

Maybe, just maybe, if you hit it with some TILEX on a regular basis you could control it, but then you're trading the mold smell for the bleach smell. Yecccchhh.

WOW! Thanks, I never would have expected such a quick response from someone at Ford! Believe it or not, I returned yesterday from vacation and the smell has disappeared since I have been back! I have no idea why, the only thing I checked was the drain and it was fine so I made no adjustments. I will continue to monitor it, but again, thanks for the quick response and your offer of assisting. Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW! Thanks, I never would have expected such a quick response from someone at Ford! Believe it or not, I returned yesterday from vacation and the smell has disappeared since I have been back! I have no idea why, the only thing I checked was the drain and it was fine so I made no adjustments. I will continue to monitor it, but again, thanks for the quick response and your offer of assisting. Dan

No problem, Dan! I'll be here if you need any help in the future. :)

Crystal

Back