How to: - Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Excellent! Mine died this fall after driving around with a bad wheel bearing for a while. The whole interior was vibrating like crazy when I would drive.

I took it out, re-soldered the two 510 resistors, and all is well. Thanks for posting this fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Resistor replacement is the proper fix

I replaced those two resistors with 68 ohms 1/4 watt resistors from Radio Shack. This allows lower power consumption and are easier to solder.

You are completely correct. Many users simply resolder the resistors. If you take the time to think about why they come unsoldered, understanding it starts to become more clear. Solder melts at just over 700 degrees F. I hope nobody thinks their vehicle got anywhere near that hot. Properly designed electronics do have some components that get warm or hot but not to the point they cook or melt their own solder connections. If it was substandard quality solder then why isn't the rest of the circuit board losing integrity along with those resistor connections? I believe Ford engineers selected too low a wattage for the resistors and this causes the heating that eventually leads to failure. This is why I too recommend changing them out for the Radio Shack 1/4 watt type. Resistors are typically used as current limiting devices. If they are getting too hot then use something of higher wattage. This is a bit like trying to operate a space heater through a thin (cheap) extension cord. That thin extension cord will get very hot and eventually melt because it wasn't designed to handle that much current (wattage). Using one that exceeds the need will run cooler than one that is undersized and not be a problem. As for the factory resistors in the console, simply resoldering them sets you up for another failure. It isn't a real fix if you have to keep revisiting the problem. Replace those troublesome resistors.

Worked awesome, thanks a lot. My soldier didn't lock broke but soldiered it anyway, Can't thank you enough.

I should be sending mine in this week, hopefully.

Overhead console - 2005 Explorer Sort Trac

Thank you so for the time and effort you put in to posting well worded and GREAT picture steps! I followed the steps and FIXED the problem, thanks to you!
I must admit that I was skeptical because the "510 ressitors" looked good and were not lose. I resoldered both and low and behold, it worked! So, to the other "sadetree" guys out there, I say, try it anyway!

My overhead console display died about 5 years ago. I promptly got a replacement off ebay for ~$30. Died again 6 months ago. I was reluctant to put any $ into "little things" that don't impact the operation of the vehicle. But, I found that I really missed being able to see the temp and direction of travel. A couple of weeks ago, I got a pkg of resistors from Radio Shack and fixed it in under an hour. Not difficult at all. I've soldered before, but not much in the past 15+ years.

Thank you for posting this, it helped me complete the job on my 02' sport trac. For those who have the same problem, some extra details about taking the console apart are that the 2 connectors that hold it to the roof, the one for the sunroof button, if equipped, it help in with 2 torx screws, the other black connector can be slidden out then just press the tab with your thumb and it comes right apart. Another area i had difficulty with is taking apart the compass/temp unit, seperating the black from the white plastic pieces. The screwdriver helped and with some persistance i got them apart. then i just soddered the 2 resistors back and the screen light up fine. re-essembly was straight forward.

¡5 years without this!... I forgot how nice was seeing the sceen on telling me where i was going and tempeture :D

I just find out about this site and i already finished 4 projects. I got one more to do, my extrrior left and right mirrors don't work, they have to be adjust manually, so i'll look into this when i have some time

Thanks for posting this

Salute!

Got mine back and all is well again.

No 501 resistor

I have a 1999 f250 I pull out the monitor but can't find a 501 resistor. I even used a magniying glass. What do I look for next. Have to fix this one since the dealership doesn't sell them anymore.

Felt for the loose resistor soldered it and whala. Working. Thanks!

Thanks for the write-up. Resoldered the resistors and it works great.

With the console off, I'm going to replace these map lights with something a bit better.

Also, the display cover is green. Anyone have any ideas for replacing that with something of a different color?

This write up was great work for me in my 03 sport trac

Man, am I ever glad that I found this thread! In the couple of years that I've been a member of this forum I've been able to save myself a fortune. My overhead console only burnt out last week so I didn't have to live too long without it, but I find that it's something that I've really come to rely on. I live in Montreal, Canada and during the winter it's great to know when the temperature is hovering around freezing so you can be ready for black ice.
This diagnosis and fix worked like a charm...great post! Much appreciated.

I'll bet this is the problem with mine. Yesterday was first I have noticed mine going out. It was intermittent yesterday, and some odor of electrical.

You Guy's ROCK!

Excellent thread to come across....my temp/compass display died about three weeks ago and I have been lost (not literally :D) ever since without it.

The detailed repair description and pics were such a huge help in getting this back online....I'm thrilled with the end result. It was so simple to fix this although I might offer up this little tidbit of info for all others attempting this one. While re-soldering the chips back onto their pads, I obviously applied a little too much heat and the chip completely popped right off the board. So after thinking a little about what I was doing, I slid it back into position and tacked it in place with solder, let it cool a bit and then built up a little more over the ends to secure them in place. Works like a charm now.....

I can now see where I'm going and how hot or cold it is while getting there.....love this site! I salute you all.... :salute:

Cheers guys - n - gals

McMuddy

I just fixed the one on my '95 W/Sunroof.

It seems the early second gens are slightly different than the later ones as far as the guts go, Mine has the display connected with a cable, and there are NO 501 resistors in this design.

What I found in the 3 that I have, is the capacitor by the display when the board is face up with the buttons towards you, the top left capacitor is dead. Replace that with another 120uF cap and you should be back in business.

One of mine did have a resistor fall off, but its tight getting in there to replace it, so I just set it aside.

You nailed it. My 01 Sport Trac, I pressed the mode button and it said, "cal 1-15" then came back on with the word cal before the compass. Is that calibrate? Anyway I need to proceed with the solder repair, Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

budd16

I too was successful re-soldering the two referenced chips.
THANK YOU ALL kindly for your guidance & knowledge with the disassembly
& this repair of my display console. YEA.
budd16

Back