Need some feedback before making a purchase | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some feedback before making a purchase

Mine had a lot done to get it right. I would be more concerned getting one without all the fixes applied. I have 34K+ miles, and if I had any significant concerns, I would be considering the extended warranty (which I am not). Getting 5 year coverage for the MFT/computer allayed my biggest concerns. 6 software updates in two years, I am running the same as a 2013. I think the vehicles biggest liability is the A-Pillar design. Is that even changed in the 2013?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. A pillars are still the same. They re-engineered the way they are installed. I just picked up my black Sport this week. I had it going pretty fast on the highway and never heard any out of the ordinary sounds. It's extremely quiet. Love it.

2011 explorer

We bought a used 2011 Limited and it has had the usual issues stated in the posts. The dealer has been great in fixing them and everything is working flawlessly. We love the car and saved about 20K getting it very slightly used. Fully loaded with every upgrade.

We are very happy with the vehicle, however if I wasn't so frugal and money wasn't an object, I would probably have bought the 2013.:D

Good luck

Advice on buying a used Explorer?

Hello,
This is my first post. I was drawn here while I was researching the 5th gen Explorer as it is about time for a new family car. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars in general (long history with restoring cars/working on my own cars and hotrodding in the past) but haven't researched the new Explorers until now.

I've read about the water leaks, gas leaks, oil/sulfur smells, and backup cams sometimes not working. I've checked on some of the TSBs. We were mainly looking at buying a fairly low-mile used/cert pre owned model.

What I was mainly looking for was any tips on what to stay away from. Seems like the first year of any new design typically has the most bugs to work out.

Were most of the problems with the first-year 2011's? Were the 2012's or 2013's less likely to have issues?

Any input appreciated!
Thanks,
Jed

Since the 2014 Explorer's are starting to roll in you might be able to get a clearance deal on a 2013. 2012's seemed to have less reported problems than the 2011's, but 2012 was a short model year, so there may not be many used ones for sale out there just yet.

Hello,
This is my first post. I was drawn here while I was researching the 5th gen Explorer as it is about time for a new family car. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars in general (long history with restoring cars/working on my own cars and hotrodding in the past) but haven't researched the new Explorers until now.

I've read about the water leaks, gas leaks, oil/sulfur smells, and backup cams sometimes not working. I've checked on some of the TSBs. We were mainly looking at buying a fairly low-mile used/cert pre owned model.

What I was mainly looking for was any tips on what to stay away from. Seems like the first year of any new design typically has the most bugs to work out.

Were most of the problems with the first-year 2011's? Were the 2012's or 2013's less likely to have issues?

Any input appreciated!
Thanks,
Jed
Welcome to the Forum dawgvet.:wavey:
Jed, although my 2011 Limited has been virtually trouble free, most of the early issues did affect that model year. However, some of them have carried over to the later models. Also, the 2013 seems to had a few minor issues that the previous two model years did not. One that comes to mind is a noisy fan for the cabin temperature sensor. You can get a pretty good idea of which ones by looking over the various thread titles.
BTW, my 2 dawgs are going to the vet Thursday.
Good luck.

Peter

Advise on buying a used Explorer: DON'T

But if you just have to, Don't, unless you can afford to buy or the Dealer gives you a true Ford extended premium warrantee to cover the years and mileage you think you will own it.

Advise on buying a used Explorer: DON'T

But if you just have to, Don't, unless you can afford to buy or the Dealer gives you a true Ford extended premium warrantee to cover the years and mileage you think you will own it.
What took you so long?:D I was going to reply for you in my post above but figured you'd be along sooner or later.:)

Peter

What took you so long?:D I was going to reply for you in my post above but figured you'd be along sooner or later.:)

Peter

It took longer than it should, trying to get my Exp repaired again.

Actually, as usual, your reply was pretty accurate, soft, in a round about way, but never the less pretty accurate......I might be slower, but far more direct....Both a product of age and some experience I suspect....We have several very good Canadian friends from our Winters in Florida. I doubt your 11 would make it that far, but you, yours, and the dogs would be welcome...... best regards Plum

Ok, I get all the frustration with owners that have had headaches, but is anyone here 'satisfied' with your Explorer?

Of the ones that have had problems, what are the main areas?
Thanks
Jed

I'm pretty satisfied with my Sport and glad I chose it over the Tuareg I was looking at. But I haven't had it long enough to really put all my weight behind that recommendation.

I know that Fords inability to tighten hose clamps on my Sport has ticked me off...makes you start to wonder what else may not be right if you can't do something that basic.

Ok, I get all the frustration with owners that have had headaches, but is anyone here 'satisfied' with your Explorer?

Of the ones that have had problems, what are the main areas?
Thanks
Jed
I am more than satisfied with mine and it is a 2011 Limited. Very few MFT issues and none within the last year. I had a bad right front sensor replaced and the battery. I also had the 'uncommanded' (random) windshield wipe TSB performed.
I think it is a great vehicle and at this point may get another when my lease expires in March 2015.

Peter

We just bought a used 2012 Explorer XLT from a Honda Dealer in the Toronto, ON area. We are quite happy with our purchase and we are hoping the 2012 treats us as well as the used 1998 Ex that we bought in 2000 and owned till 2011.

I did a lot of on-line checking of Kijiji and Autotrader.ca (Craigslist is not that big in Canada). So I had a pretty good handle on pricing, mileage, etc. that was available. Once my wife''s car sold we were able to make the deal quickly with the dealer. Purchase price even included the snow tires that the PO included when he traded.

If you can find one that is NOT at a Ford Dealer, you tend to do better. The one I picked up was listed for probably $3-$4K less than it would have been at a Ford dealer. I think this is pretty typical of most vehicles though.

Yes, 2011 XLT AWD with MFT. 33K miles. No issues to speak of.

Need help and advice for a used 2012 Explorer

Hello everyone ! I'm in the market for an SUV, and I narrowed my choices to the Explorer or the Toyota Highlander. Well, I didn't consider every other option to be honest, but these are the two that I liked over the others. I am really leaning towards the Explorer, but I have my doubts about it's reliability.

I just started looking around, and hope to make a decision within a week, which is kinda short for such a decision, but I hope I can make it. I prefer to buy a 2012 Explorer, because I prefer not to buy a new model anything, but after looking at the complaints about the vehicle, I'm thinking I should reconsider my decision about the Explorer. The 2011MY had that overheating issue that I don't find that much on the 2012MY. The 2012MY has that power steering issue, and I don't want that stuff happening, especially when the wife is driving it.

I know and understand that all vehicles have problems, small or big, but these are too big for me to compromise on, especially since I'm buying it used, and the factory warranty will be over soon after I purchase it. One of the remedy is to purchase some kind of a protection plan that is as good as the factory's bumper to bumper warranty, which'll last me for until at least 100k miles. I plan on driving it quite a bit, and would hate it if something happens when I'm hours away from home.

That said, I'm looking for reasons to actually take the leap and buy the 2012 Ford Explorer, and I hope some of you can give me some very good reasons to buy one. Also, I'm looking for suggestions as to what features/problems/mileage/price I should be looking for when searching.

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone ! I'm in the market for an SUV, and I narrowed my choices to the Explorer or the Toyota Highlander. Well, I didn't consider every other option to be honest, but these are the two that I liked over the others. I am really leaning towards the Explorer, but I have my doubts about it's reliability.

I just started looking around, and hope to make a decision within a week, which is kinda short for such a decision, but I hope I can make it. I prefer to buy a 2012 Explorer, because I prefer not to buy a new model anything, but after looking at the complaints about the vehicle, I'm thinking I should reconsider my decision about the Explorer. The 2011MY had that overheating issue that I don't find that much on the 2012MY. The 2012MY has that power steering issue, and I don't want that stuff happening, especially when the wife is driving it.

I know and understand that all vehicles have problems, small or big, but these are too big for me to compromise on, especially since I'm buying it used, and the factory warranty will be over soon after I purchase it. One of the remedy is to purchase some kind of a protection plan that is as good as the factory's bumper to bumper warranty, which'll last me for until at least 100k miles. I plan on driving it quite a bit, and would hate it if something happens when I'm hours away from home.

That said, I'm looking for reasons to actually take the leap and buy the 2012 Ford Explorer, and I hope some of you can give me some very good reasons to buy one. Also, I'm looking for suggestions as to what features/problems/mileage/price I should be looking for when searching.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the Forum shankar96.:wavey:
As I have mentioned several times in this Forum, I jumped from a '09 Highlander Limited to the 2011 Explorer Limited with 2 1/2 years left on the Highlander lease which a friend took over. Have had absolutely no regrets.
The Explorer has been an excellent vehicle so far. The steering issue you refer to is present in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 models. I don't believe there have any reports so far on the 2014 model.
My advice would be to check out the various threads in this 'Discussion' forum and also the 'IVT' forum;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

It is a fact that there are members that have had many issues with their Explorers and also many that have had few or none. The Highlander will probably hold its resale value better than the Explorer. I think the 2014 which comes out in January likely comes closer to the Ex. Limited in the area of added options and 'nice to have' features.
Here is another forum I was a member of when I had my Highlander;
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/
You may want to check it out as well.

There are also several threads that touch on Ford's ESP (Extended Service Plan) and prices.

Happy shopping.

Peter

Don't buy used, and don't buy somebody else's trouble unless the Dealer gives you a very good Premium ESP.....and even then, owning a 13, XLT, I would lean heavily toward the Highlander........ best regards Plum

2011 or 2012 Explorer

After being without an Explorer for several years it look like were going to be getting a 2011 or 2012. Is there anything that stands out that we should be looking at or be aware of before buying? Thanks for your info.

After being without an Explorer for several years it look like were going to be getting a 2011 or 2012. Is there anything that stands out that we should be looking at or be aware of before buying? Thanks for your info.
Welcome. There are a few items that affect all models right through to 2013 and even some into the 2014 model. Exhaust type smell in the cabin, mostly under hard acceleration but not always. Water leak that appears to runs down the 3rd row seat belt. Usual repair is fixing a bad seam if they can find it. Sudden loss of power steering. Usually fixed by replacing the steering rack.
I have a 2011 Limited and it has been excellent with none of the aforementioned issues.
I suggest that you take some time and scroll through the two forums (Discussion & IVT) on the 2011 - 2014 Explorer and check out the various threads.
There is also a thread on some of the TSB's for the 2011 and 2012 Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

You will get various opinions from the members ranging from 'great vehicle' to 'do not buy'.
As always, the ultimate decision is yours. I'm looking at getting another Explorer when my current lease is up in March 2015.
Good luck my friend.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you say not to buy used? I'm buying a 2011 limited with 51000 miles on it and he has all of the service records with all service done on time and at the dealership. The previous owner has never had any issues with this car and I'm checking out all the issues mentioned on this thread before buying, but it runs like a new one.

Not to mention the one I'm buying is certified and I get a 12K warranty. I will however buy the extended warranty as we plan on keeping this car for a while and with all the electronics I think it's wise.

But there is nothing wrong with buying used if you get a good deal and the car has been well maintained. I'm getting a fully loaded (with 4x4, 302a package, rapid spec, bucket 2nd row with console) limited for 29k.

The sticker price on this car was 48,490.

Fantastic deal at 29k and it runs great.

Used can be good if it's from someone you trust.

Back