Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

It did make the idle smoother but not perfect but it has 145,000 miles.

I had just had my tranny rebuilt about 3 months ago and it did change the shift points some and made the shifts smoother.

One thing I did notice that I really wasn't expecting it added some hesitation when I floor the gas. It isn't much but that was the first thing I really noticed but it isn't very much at all.

The hesitation going into Reverse is pretty much gone.

As far as gas mileage I haven't really checked it but plan to. I expect little change either way maybe + or - 1 mpg.

I think the good out ways the bad on the upgrade but each vechile is different.

I did only get charged $45 bones!!! I have 3 dealerships close to me within 30miles and each one was different on the price. One was like $125 the other was $109 and where I got it done was $45.00.

So it may do you some good to call all the dealerships that are close enough to you and see who gives the best price. Makes no sense that there was that much differenenc in price $125-$45 is a big difference!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright sounds like a plan. go in to pick up a part and tell them to reprogram the pcm while its in there

Dealer did the flash today 1U7A-12A650-GMB.Along with tranny filter/fluid.Engine feels crisp and the tranny is much better.Only down side is it idles 100 rpm or so less and a little rough compared with before.Cost of flash $44.52.

Edit:Cleaned maf and iac.Idles750 rpm and fairly smooth.

Most manufacturers in the computer industry document their changes and publish them so people know what has changed since the last flash. Is this common in the auto industry? Is there a list that states what has changed since a previous release? I think the answer is no but want to double check. Thx.

Most manufacturers in the computer industry document their changes and publish them so people know what has changed since the last flash. Is this common in the auto industry? Is there a list that states what has changed since a previous release? I think the answer is no but want to double check. Thx.

Nope, they like to keep their info proprietary and the customer in the dark so we can pay more at the dealer.

:), sounds right. The three dealerships in the Chicago area I called want around $130-$150. Only one of the service advisors even knew what I was talking about while others had to go check. I don't trust the dealer near my house as far as I can throw them due to a horrible experience last time. Wish I could find one that could do it for $48 :).

Hey Guys! I'm fairly new to the stuff you guys are talking about. 1st: My experience with dealerships is such that you hardly ever get "anything" done for free. 2nd: The PCM upgrades your talking about sounds awfully complicated. If you approach the service people at the dealership and you don't sound like you "got it all together" they WILL take the "upper" hand and do what they do. 3rd: Does anybody have/had experience/knowledge of the following ?: http://www.gfchips.com/fordexplorer.aspx It's "looks" to me like an inexpensive and easy "fix". I'm just not sure how "true" this is. I'm not looking for "super performance", but would definitely like, a "steadier" idle, smoother driveability, minimize excessive shifting, and a little better gas mileage wouldn't hurt. Anybody out there with some advise/recommendations. Lets keep it simple because I'm "simple minded". Thanks!

Hey Guys! I'm fairly new to the stuff you guys are talking about. 1st: My experience with dealerships is such that you hardly ever get "anything" done for free. 2nd: The PCM upgrades your talking about sounds awfully complicated. If you approach the service people at the dealership and you don't sound like you "got it all together" they WILL take the "upper" hand and do what they do. 3rd: Does anybody have/had experience/knowledge of the following ?: http://www.gfchips.com/fordexplorer.aspx It's "looks" to me like an inexpensive and easy "fix". I'm just not sure how "true" this is. I'm not looking for "super performance", but would definitely like, a "steadier" idle, smoother driveability, minimize excessive shifting, and a little better gas mileage wouldn't hurt. Anybody out there with some advise/recommendations. Lets keep it simple because I'm "simple minded". Thanks!

to chip an odb2 pcm is silly, get a tune.....

Thanks Waskly! It was worth the "ask". Note: I'm originally from B'klyn myself. I'm a "Damb Yankee" now 25 plus years!!!!

Updated my 04 using my vcm/ids to 1U7A-12A650-LHB

It had 1U7A-12A650-JKD. Big improvement in idle and shifting.

Is the only way you'll now what version mine is usung is to take it in to the Dealership? Just bought an 02 and want this done.

Why do you think this needs to be done?

If anyone around Chicago wants this done let me know.

Got mine updated today. The idle is still shaky but not as bad. Fixed the massive delayed engagement into reverse and doesnt try the stall out after engagement. And shifts into drive faster and smoother. Downshift while at highway speeds are immediate. "Seems" to be getting better gas mileage...ill kno soon.

$99

I did this to my 03 this past weekend in Miami FL, Cost me $112 and i havent noticed a difference. I half think they didnt do anything. I remember reading about a sticker that they put on the inside of the hood after doing the upgrade and i have nothing under the hood. SMH at the dealer.

I had my 05 upgraded today in Loganville, GA. $84 and 3 issues seem to be fixed: Horrible Drive by Wire lag is almost gone, delayed engagement into reverse is fixed and finally a strange shaking when going down hill while in cruise control seems to be gone as well. Very happy with the upgrade.

Got mine done last Wednesday for $49. Seems to be more responsive but still having shifting issues so next is the solenoid pack. But I am glad I did the update.

Hey guys, I'm having problems with my 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie bower (4.5 L V8). When coasting down a road my car will begin to flash and say "Check charging system" then the whole car powers down. I took it to my ford dealer and they checked the following
PCM
Battery
Alternator
However, they could't find a problem with anything. Would updating my PCM flash do anything? I'm desperately searching for a solution. Although this shutting down doesn't happen much, when it does happen everything goes into manual mode and my cars steering and breaks become very difficult to operate (Kinda scary).
Thanks Shane

I just purchased an 02 xls with a 4.0 4x4. I changed the plugs, wires, and a fuel additive to the tank ( SeaFoam). I have had a very (very) slightly rough idle (main reason for the "tune-up") which is almost unnoticeable unless the hood is popped and my hand is on the motor. No hesitation when putting into gear, I average about 17mpg (almost 100% city), and my trans doesn't shift harshly, but it isn't too smooth. If the 'flash' is only $50 or so, is it worth giving it a shot? Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for all the question here recently guys, but does anyone know if I can get the PCM upgrade done at a Ford Dealer for my Mountaineer? Also would this be the same upgrade or is the mountaineer going to have it's own pcm stuff?

Back