How many have had APIM replaced? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many have had APIM replaced?

Have you had your APIM replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters
1. Sport 12/4/12
2. 6500
3. APIM on order
5. Always had sign of failure
6. Samsung Galaxy Note 2
7. We will see...I do not have high hopes
8. This is replacement one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD built April 2011
2. 33,040
3. In the process
4. 33,040
5. System has been working well since 3.5.1 update in December 2012. By well I mean it works most of the time eventhough there is the occassional delay/glitch/hang.

Last night screen went black. No power, no audio. Dashboard LCD says audio off. Cannot turn it back on. Pulling fuse / removing negative from the battery did not fix it. Took it to the dealer and they need to order a new APIM board
6. AT&T iphone 4 and HTC One (the new one May 2013)
7. We shall see
8. 1st time

I'm going through getting it replaced right now. I have now spoken with 3 Ford dealers. All of them have said the same thing which shocked me. According to Ford each of these APIM's are "custom designed to my VIN number. They do not keep any boards on site as each board must be specifically tied to a VIN and therefore ordered from Ford".

I thought Ford was all about the assembly line. Something seems fishy. Shouldn't they be able to swap out a circuit board the way I do with the servers / workstations at my office?

1. 2011 Limited November 2010
2. 34000
3. No
4. NA
5. NA
6. Samsung Galaxy S4/ Wife S3
7. NA
8. NA

notes: I don't use my phone for music or nav in case that matters.

1. 2012 XLT Built August 2011
2. 42700
3. Just had it replaced today. Sept 3, 2013
4. 42700
5. Sudden black screen of death.
6. Iphone 4s
7. We shall see.
8. First one.

Working Fine

Picked my 2011 Limited up on March 14, 2011. Approximately 9500 miles on it and APIM is original. MFT works very well and always has. Use Nokia C3 non smart phone.

Peter

1. Explorer XLT 2011 - bought it May of 2011
2. 35,600
3. Yes, its in the shop right now getting the APIM replaced
The rest of the question are not really applicable. However, I've been having problems on and off for the past three years. System went down two years ago, but it was rebooted by battery disconnect. Many times it would go blank and go into an update mode. My concern is the APIM is guaranteed for 5 years by ford. This gives me two more years on it, considering the part can run me in the 100's. I read some of the comments above on low failure rate. Hog-wash!!! Everyone that I personally know that has the Ford sync has some sought of complaint about it. Let's be honest, the Ford synch is a lemon.

Seeing that there is almost an 11 month gap between the previous 2 posts, this doesn't seem to suggest a high failure rate. I only recall 2 or 3 posts in the last 5 or 6 months where I suggested to the member that their issue could possibly be linked to a faulty APIM.

Peter

Peterk9:

How do you make that assumption, when majority of owners don’t even know this forum exists. I just found out about it last week, and I owned my explorer for more than three years. Google ford synch, and you will find pretty good blogs on the ongoing problems and issues with ford synch with or without a faulty APIM.

This forum has many members and many became members because they were searching the Internet, like you, for particular issues. Therefore it is quite common to have many posts that are 'complaints', etc. That being the case, there are many more issues other than the Ford SYNC APIM. There are various issue regarding the MFT of which many were attributed to the software that was being used. Many, but not all, have been resolved. I likewise have spoken to several owners in my area and none have complained about these problems once they became more acquainted with the system. This thread is for the APIM module and not about MFT issues, of which there are quite a few in their own threads. The fact that many people are not aware of this Forum, doesn't mean they all have APIM issues. It is possible that we could have many more indicating that it's working great. I'm on my second vehicle with this system and haven't had any issues.

Peter

I used to own a 2012 Focus Titanium and had the APIM replaced. Worked for a few days than all sorts of problems all over again. Had it replaced again...same problem again.

Only had my '15 Explorer Sport now for about a month and no problems so far....

Tony

I realize this thread is old but in doing some research I believe my APIM just went bad too.

2011 Limited bought new (ordered)

44k miles.

System working fine for a long while. I'd get occasional black screens but it would usually kick back on and complete a system update. I wasn't terribly concerned this time but after pulling the #29 fuse out a few separate times and waiting, the radio would come back on (AM) but the touch screen would not illuminate. Then, after about a minute, it would shut off and back to a black useless screen (no heated seats, backup camera, radio, voice commands).

I have an appointment for a local dealer tomorrow. They said they don't stock them so in all likelihood, they'll have to overnight the part, and I'll be back in the next day.

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace an APIM

1. 2012 Ford Explorer Limited bought October 2011
2. 184469km
3. No
4. 183500km
5. Signs of a problem reverse camera guidelines vanish, Bluetooth connecting problems
6. iPhone 6 Plus/Bell (Canadian)
7. Have not been fixed yet

I had a 2011 Limited Explorer from July 2011 (ordered new) to April 2016 when I traded it for a 2016 F150 Lariat, also ordered new. I used an iPhone 4, 5, and 6 with it. I had the APIM replaced in 2015. By this time, Ford had already agreed to cover this repair I believe. I'm not sure for how long. I had purchased the ESP in 2014 b/c I had a feeling the APIM wouldn't last long. It had occasionally frozen up and seemed buggy to me at times. I recall resetting it at least twice by pulling one of the fuses out. The final time it didn't freeze...it just didn't come on. No warning. It sucked being without it for a few days until I was able to get it fixed. I'm glad Ford covered it but I would have considered not getting the ESP had I known that in advance. Hope this helps.

I had a 2011 Limited Explorer from July 2011 (ordered new) to April 2016 when I traded it for a 2016 F150 Lariat, also ordered new. I used an iPhone 4, 5, and 6 with it. I had the APIM replaced in 2015. By this time, Ford had already agreed to cover this repair I believe. I'm not sure for how long. I had purchased the ESP in 2014 b/c I had a feeling the APIM wouldn't last long. It had occasionally frozen up and seemed buggy to me at times. I recall resetting it at least twice by pulling one of the fuses out. The final time it didn't freeze...it just didn't come on. No warning. It sucked being without it for a few days until I was able to get it fixed. I'm glad Ford covered it but I would have considered not getting the ESP had I known that in advance. Hope this helps.

I had the esp it expired at 150000kms
I do think that Ford should COVER IT due to the fact that I did nothing for this to happen

I should also have mentioned that the extended warranty I believe only applies to those built up to and including the 2013 model year.
I know that it is mentioned in the Forum.

Peter

So my 14 sport is in right now for this apim issue we didn't see the lock up, but we had issues with the dash losing communication with the radio and climate controls would put it in a like a limp mode radio wouldn't work and the heat would be blasting hot, and my power liftgate wouldn't work. Showed on the dash that the liftgate was open but wasn't? At first I could disconnect the battery and it would be fine for a few days. At first dealer said it was my latch in the liftgate they wanted 530 to fix I did it for 145. Now it started again on Christmas day to be exact its in now and they think its the apim like I told them to look at the first time around 2 months ago. But of course they know more then you even though you do all the research on these forums right. So Ford will cover it which is great we love our sport it has 107k miles and going strong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2016 Ford F 150
in the shop 4 times...first time 2nd month after I got it (so maybe 1000 miles)
(in shop now getting replaced)
Issues: screen would go black, can't change radio station, turn off or on...and sometimes my camera would turn on when i stop and stay on when I park..and a couple times my back up camera didnt work...
Galaxy S5/Verizon
This will be the first time getting replaced...

Back