Phone disconnect popup won't time out after 3.6.2 upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Phone disconnect popup won't time out after 3.6.2 upgrade

tucker_bmd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT AWD
I haven't called Ford IVT yet to see if they can duplicate, but it has been pretty repeatable for me. And yes, like the 911 assist bug from last release it is minor, but annoying none the less, because MFT is suppose to be the great.

In prior versions of MFT, if you have your phone paired and turn your phone off via the phone power button, you would get a large popup on the screen telling you that the connection has been lost and MFT is trying to reconnect, there is a cancel button you can push if you didn't want to wait for the 15 second time out when the large pop up would go away and a then a small popup appears telling you the phone couldn't be reconnected and goes away in about 3 seconds.

Now with MFT 3.6.2, the large popup appears with the same cancel button you can push to make it go away (and then the small window appears and goes away in 3 seconds like before). But if you don't hit the cancel button the large popup will not time out, it just stays there. So the 3.6.2 release broke working functionality, where is the testing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! Really.
1. Don't turn phone off.
2. Turn Ex off before tuning off phone.
3. Push cancel button.

I'm sure you have a reason for wanting to turn your phone off while Ex is running but I can't figure for the life of me why.

Stick to the point

I'm sure you have a reason for wanting to turn your phone off while Ex is running but I can't figure for the life of me why.

Irrelevant. Point of the topic is bad software management, bad software testing.

Someone replied the same way with my 911 Assist bug report, "why not just use 911 assist, then you won't have to deal with the bug". Don't you guys like things to be correct and behave as advertized? To each his own I guess.

Irrelevant. Point of the topic is bad software management, bad software testing.

Someone replied the same way with my 911 Assist bug report, "why not just use 911 assist, then you won't have to deal with the bug". Don't you guys like things to be correct and behave as advertized? To each his own I guess.

Didn't know your were complaining about bad testing. Maybe that should have been the title of your post not"Phone disconnect popup won't time out after 3.6.2 upgrade."

And your right to each their own. Personally I try not to sweat the small stuff in life.

Is it an iPhone by any chance?

I haven't called Ford IVT yet to see if they can duplicate, but it has been pretty repeatable for me. And yes, like the 911 assist bug from last release it is minor, but annoying none the less, because MFT is suppose to be the great.

In prior versions of MFT, if you have your phone paired and turn your phone off via the phone power button, you would get a large popup on the screen telling you that the connection has been lost and MFT is trying to reconnect, there is a cancel button you can push if you didn't want to wait for the 15 second time out when the large pop up would go away and a then a small popup appears telling you the phone couldn't be reconnected and goes away in about 3 seconds.

Now with MFT 3.6.2, the large popup appears with the same cancel button you can push to make it go away (and then the small window appears and goes away in 3 seconds like before). But if you don't hit the cancel button the large popup will not time out, it just stays there. So the 3.6.2 release broke working functionality, where is the testing?

Hi, tucker_bmd,

I tried to replicate this last night but was unable to. Is there any way you can capture this on video so I can send it to my support?

Rebecca

Wow! Really.
1. Don't turn phone off.
2. Turn Ex off before tuning off phone.
3. Push cancel button.

Im kinda with you on this......why shut phone off before the Ex?

Hi, tucker_bmd,

I tried to replicate this last night but was unable to. Is there any way you can capture this on video so I can send it to my support?

Rebecca

Thank you for trying to duplicate. I called tech support and Russell couldn't duplicate either with 3.6.2, actually he said he got no popups at all, which doesn't make sense. With 3.5.1 he at least got the small "phone disconnected" popup that went away quickly. So, same phone too different versions of MFT, different behavior verified, just not the behavior I am seeing. Did you get any popups?

I decided to wait it out, on my way home yesterday I shut off the phone and waited, the large pop (which, on MFT 3.5.1, used to go away in 15 seconds or so) stayed on for just about 3 minutes, I did this twice on the way home and once this morning, all just about 3 minutes.

Before I figure out how to video this behavior (good suggestion) I will try to duplicate with another phone (I have dumb LG VX5600 I choose specifically because it had lots of boxes checked on the sync compatibility list, had this phone since MFT 2.11 when I got the car), I can use a Droid. I also can do this in our 2013 Escape as well that I just upgraded (with absolutely no issues, a very stress free install unlike how my Explorer went).

To Sarge and GMA, I'll tell you why I turn my phone off while I'm driving if you try to duplicate the issue and report back to this thread. Thanks in advance.

I just went out and tried this with my Explorer and a Samsung Intensity phone. The first time I shut the phone off, I got a pop up about 10-15 seconds after I shut down saying "Phone disconnected, trying to reconnect" with a cancel button underneath it. I waited about 20 seconds and it didn't go away, so I hit cancel and the message went away. I then re-booted my phone, and re connected to sync. This time when I shut off the phone it just came up and said "phone disconnected" for 5 seconds and then the message disappeared. It didn't give me the "trying to re-connect" window the 2nd time.

As you requested.

iPhone5 running iOS7 Beta 5........MFT v3.6.2

1st time: Small window popped up " Phone Disconnected" no buttons to touch on that window and it lasted for 3 seconds. I manually re-connected phone.

2nd time: Small window popped up "Phone Disconnected" no buttons to touch on that window and it lasted 1-2 seconds. I manually re-connected phone

Just to throw up something to check, is your phone the primary or "favorite", or just another one in the list of paired phones?

I've noticed with 3.5.1, if it sees my wife's phone while I'm in the garage (which is the primary phone), and I leave and it finally loses connection to her phone which is at home, the dialog will stay up for a long time and cancel has no effect. It will eventually give up and go to my phone.

I know its a little different than what you're seeing, but I thought I'd throw the favorite/primary phone attribute out there just in case. I've noticed that things get quirky when its dealing with my phone and its not the primary.

How's it suppose to work?

I like how Sarge's phone/system behaves, a small window popup that goes away quickly. With out full documentation of the MFT software I'm not sure what the correct behavior is suppose to be. Rebecca, if you are reading, is this something you can tell us? If not just say you're not at liberty to say, but it would be nice to know how MFT is suppose to respond when the phone is powered off.

Anyway, thanks Sarge, and others if you attempt, you're not helping me, your helping Rebecca and Ford understand how their product is behaving in the real world in many different scenarios. Accurate data and statistics are very helpful in understanding what's going on with a big system like MFT, I would think Rebecca and Ford would appreciate it. In the long run we're helping all of us hopefully get a better more consistent stable product.

To the poster suggesting primary/secondary phone, that is a good idea. But my dumb phone is the primary, and in fact I haven't paired my wife's Droid yet since the 3.6.2 upgrade.

I hope that no one really cares why I shut my phone off while driving, this is not Facebook. That is irrelevant to this discussion. What we should care (at least I care and I'm assuming Rebecca cares too) about is why MFT's behavior seems to be different for some of us and why MFT's behavior changed for my phone after being the same for MFT v2.11, 3.0.2,3.2.2 and 3.5.1, why is it different now?

This is a very minor issue, probably affecting a tiny percentage of users, but as a programmer, every issue that crops up needs to be understood and fixed if found to be a bug.

Tried a Motorola Droid, it behaved just like Sarge's. So my old dumb LG vx5600's bluetooth protocol must have been left behind by the ever improving MFT, oh well.

Im thinking the new MFT is telling you its time to upgrade your phone? LOL

Different behavior

I am adding to this thread because I think what am about to say should be of interest to Rebecca and the IVT, that's assuming she reads every post.

The behavior I described in post #1 of this thread has changed. Today and yesterday as I approached my work and powered off my phone, I did not get the large popup, just the small one that went away quickly. I like this behavior, but am mystified as to why it changed. I think software is suppose to do the same thing all the time, but maybe MFT acts however it wants.

It would be nice to know what MFT is suppose to do when the phone is turned off, that way we can report a different behavior, again, I think IVT should welcome bug reports and should want to know how their program is working in the real world.

The use of the word "should" above is my opinion, not sure if IVT agrees.

Back