01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion

if you hate the power loss then get the gears. it will put you closer to the stock feel of it and gelp with gas and all that junk.

You mention the gears, Im assuming you mean the final in the rear diff. What do you suggest i have a 01 st with the 3.73. Bought The Super Lift, wanna get 33`s maybe a little smaller so I Dont have to cut fenders and what not. Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi,
i'm a new member, i come from montreal and i look for lifted my explorer sport trac 2004
i would like to lift for 3-4" but i don't know what can i do for
in Montreal we have not more accessories to lift the truck so i would like to know if somebody know a shop for lift my truck or to buy the accessories
in September i will go to the california so if somebody know a shop for me, it will be very cool
Thanks a lot

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the shackles, especially with a body lift. I only did shackles because it was my first modification.

Interesting. What about the TT?
Pros and cons acc to below?
PA BL
TT
Shackles

pat i saw your tire thread and mentioned there about tire size relative to the style of lift you do.

honestly the lift setup you are looking at there is the same many do here. i have a 5'3" asian wife so i didn't go with the body lift instead i went with 32" tires and the add-a-leaf/ torsion twist lift.no trimming needed and looks great in my opinion looks like it should've from the factory.
20121103_1424341.jpg

Interesting. What about the TT?
Pros and cons acc to below?
PA BL
TT
Shackles

I wouldn't do the TT unless it's necessary to clear the tires. I certainly wouldn't go over 2". I only did 1.5" and fit 35s. The cons are a stiffer ride, decreased down travel and increased strain on the front end components. I don't regret doing it but wouldn't recommend it for someone if they are doing it just to "look" taller. For any kind of lift, my idea is to stay as low as possible, lift only as much as necessary.

Again, body lift only if going larger than 32s. The cons are debatable and discussed in detail throughout the forum. So as to not repeat the argument, search the forum for body lift info. Really, that sentence could be applied to this whole post, but I'll humor you anyway.

For shackles, the pro is anyone can do it. The con is they prematurely wear your leaf packs. AAL is better IMO but requires a tiny bit more mechanical skill and time.

I agree with Offtrac. I have continued to lower my torsion bars closer to stock. I'm at 1.25 lift now, tires still aren't rubbing, so I may try to lower another .25. The ride is important to me.

I went with the AAL for the same reason, although my leafs were already pretty flat, from towing an enclosed car trailer.

Well, broke down and decided to order the Superlift for Zoey Jane (01 Sport Trac and yes i named her)Figured it be a nice little project coming outta surgery with the weather getting nicer too. \m/ I had both knuckles come in for the front, waiting for the rest of the front lift, shocks and rear leafs. Finally Ordered it off summit racing after couple websites discontinued selling it or what ever reason they had. Not that its a big issue right now, left arm/shoulder is useless to me but I checked the order last week and said the rear leafs had been cancelled. I called summit right away the guy was cool about it even offered to call superlift and find out why. Turns out they had two cases of the rear leafs not sitting the full 4 inches. They say they have a whole stock of the leafs and right away the guy was adament on not making any more to pretty much fix their mistake, which didn't sound like great customer service to me. Even asking him what they did to compensate for the missing inch he wasn't very helpful. Finnally plucked from him what he did to the one case cause it was local. They added a leaf then had them re arched about a half inch. Logically thinking, this company should fix their mess ups. I'm also thinking too that these two cases of the springs not sitting right, might have something to do with the "Ranger lean" Any who really ecstatic over this all coming in, think I'm more excited about putting new shocks and springs in. Old ones are done lol. I've got my fingers crossed that all the parts are gonna be here by the second week of june, by then I'm hoping ill two good arms again. As far as wheels and tires looking to upgrade rims to 2007-2010 Explorer rims with some bf goodrich mud terrains. http://www.allfactorywheels.com/products/2006%252d2010-Ford-Explorer-17%22-3626.html Also just curious what size tires should I go for, want to get as close to 33's WITHOUT any rubbing, and deff not cutting. Big fan of clean stock look, just my style. Thanks and keep rocking \m/

That last kit will not work with our tracs

I've been trying to wade through hundreds of pages of lift dialog. Why haven't I seen anyone talking about this option?

It says it will fit my 2002 sport trac. It's the 101050 kit with the pic of the yellow ford ranger. It comes with a 1" block in the rear. B/C I work at a dealership, he said my price on this kit would be $180. He said he also has a kit that comes with an add a leaf instead of a block for the back. It is a new kit, and b/c I'll be doing some towing, I like that option. That kit number is #101035. Same cost to me as the other kit. I'm probably going to go this route. He says it's about 3 inches up front and 1" in the back. My dealer will charge about $150 bucks to install it (front and back) with the alignment.

Why shouldn't I do this? Any reasons? Any help would be awesome. I know this thread is really old, but hopefully I could get some quick replies. I have a stock 2002 Sport Trac 4x4 with 110,000. Thanks.

You can lift the front for free (plus alignment) by cranking your torsion bars. You don't want to go any higher than 2" MAX on the front IFS or you'll destroy your frontend parts and chew through tires. For the rear you can get either an add a leaf for $40 or warrior products lift shackles for around $75. Since you tow and haul I'd go with the add a leaf setup. Torsion lift keys aren't worth the money when you can lift it for free. Just the general consensus of anyone with IFS.

Well, the way my friend in the parts department at my dealership explained it to me went something like this:

When you go with the key torsion leveling kit, you don't decrease ride quality, and he said something about the torsion key rotating at abnormal angles when you just tighten the torsion bolts. He also told me that when you replace shackles on only one side of the leaf springs thats also where you get rough ride from. He said if you do shackles, replace both shackles on the springs.

I want to make it known that I am not mechanically inclined, but the details he was telling me slipping and changing angles and lengths really made sense on paper. For me, it's peace of mind that it's going to come together properlly I guess.

You can spend the money on torsion keys but do not exceed 2" of lift in the front, this will put too much stress on the frontend parts. As for the shackles for the rear leafsprings, there's only a set of shackles on the rear of the leafsprings, the frot of the leafspring bolts to a spring perch mounted to the frame. lift shackles won't give you a harder/ rougher ride, if anything it softens the ride some because the leafspring has more movement and flex while driving.

I've been working on and building custom trucks, cars, motorcycles and semi's for over twenty years. It kinda sounds like he just got out of tech school and got a job at the dealership. Again, not trying to offend. Just helping a fellow member save money and build your truck the way you want.

The final choice is yours on how you build your truck, you asked for info and that's what we're here for is to help each other out. Let us know what you decide and how it comes out, post pictures when you can.

By the way, where are you from in Idaho, I lived out in Idaho Falls for a year back in '91, I'm originally from out in Oregon, Washington area.

hey guys i have a 2001 ST 2wd with alot of miles I want to put a lift on it. I dont plan on going off roading i just think a lift looks sweet. I was thinking the shackle and TT with 265/75R16, i might want to go a little bigger but i want to hear from the guys with experience. I am in college so dont have the money for anything other than shackle and TT just looking for advice

hey guys i have a 2001 ST 2wd with alot of miles I want to put a lift on it. I dont plan on going off roading i just think a lift looks sweet. I was thinking the shackle and TT with 265/75R16, i might want to go a little bigger but i want to hear from the guys with experience. I am in college so dont have the money for anything other than shackle and TT just looking for advice

That's the perfect plan.

You can spend the money on torsion keys but do not exceed 2" of lift in the front, this will put too much stress on the frontend parts. As for the shackles for the rear leafsprings, there's only a set of shackles on the rear of the leafsprings, the frot of the leafspring bolts to a spring perch mounted to the frame. lift shackles won't give you a harder/ rougher ride, if anything it softens the ride some because the leafspring has more movement and flex while driving.

I've been working on and building custom trucks, cars, motorcycles and semi's for over twenty years. It kinda sounds like he just got out of tech school and got a job at the dealership. Again, not trying to offend. Just helping a fellow member save money and build your truck the way you want.

The final choice is yours on how you build your truck, you asked for info and that's what we're here for is to help each other out. Let us know what you decide and how it comes out, post pictures when you can.

By the way, where are you from in Idaho, I lived out in Idaho Falls for a year back in '91, I'm originally from out in Oregon, Washington area.

Yah, Hey thanks. No offense taken, and I hope none was received. This sight has been very fun and many hours have been spent perusing it's content.

This the very first time I have tried lifting and modifying a vehicle. Combine that with the fact that I'm a superty dumb dumb with mechanics and that's where I get my apprehension when people say I'll wear out my CV joints etc...amongst other things I've read on the forum.

So, I bought the leveling kit today for $180 that includes that add a leaf spring. I will definitely post some pictures when I get it done in the next few weeks.

Also, I live the Idaho Falls area. A little town north of there called Rigby. I however also spent most my life in Oregon in Salem and Eugene area until 3 years ago when I moved to Idaho. Love it out here. Land of the free. Thanks all. I'm sure I'll have more questions and comments and photos in the near future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You think any bigger or I should stick to that size

Any bigger than those and you'll end up rubbing in the wheel wells like crazy. Also, too much wider and the tires will be too wide for the stock wheels.

Back