Donut spare or Full size tire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Donut spare or Full size tire?

rellyrooly

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD 302A
I awaiting my 2013 Explorer Sport and just curious if there is just a donut or a full size spare that comes with the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be a full size spare I don't own one but my old 03 x had a full spare especially If you have the sport

I awaiting my 2013 Explorer Sport and just curious if there is just a donut or a full size spare that comes with the vehicle?
Unless they make an exception for the Sport, which I doubt, look forward to the donut spare like all the other new generation ones have.

Peter

Unless they make an exception for the Sport, which I doubt, look forward to the donut spare like all the other new generation ones have.

Peter

Yep, mini spare tire listed right on the Ford website.

My next question would be, does a full size spare tire even fit in that well under the back?

I know my Mustang's tire well would NOT fit the proper wheel I need without sticking 2 inches up in the trunk.

Yep, mini spare tire listed right on the Ford website.

My next question would be, does a full size spare tire even fit in that well under the back?

I know my Mustang's tire well would NOT fit the proper wheel I need without sticking 2 inches up in the trunk.

I doubt that a full size spare would fit in the back of the new gen ex's. There this screw and bolt type setup for making sure the spare and jack don't rattle or move around.

Spare tire question

Did a search with no results
Would a full size tire and rim 20in polished fit in the stock spare tire well under the rear deck of explorer.

Did a search with no results
Would a full size tire and rim 20in polished fit in the stock spare tire well under the rear deck of explorer.
Good question. I don't believe that a definitive answer has been posted before. I guess one way to find out is to measure the OEM wheel you have, assuming it is a 20", and then measure the well. Don't forget to take into account the height of the 20" combination when it is laying down. It definitely would add some extra weight back there.

Peter

A 20" won't fit in the wheel well both width wise and height wise. My Limited has 20" wheels and the spare is T165 70 D18.

Why don't they have the old style wheel under the car? I really hate having the wheel inside the car. Causes a giant dirty mess...

New trend is tire patch kits and no spare at all. Was on the news ...... How depressing!

A 20" won't fit in the wheel well both width wise and height wise. My Limited has 20" wheels and the spare is T165 70 D18.

oh sh*t whats the deal with the spare? If riding on 20" and I need to
whip on that spare, will the car fall over? :eek: :exp::eek::exp::eek::exp:

oh sh*t whats the deal with the spare? If riding on 20" and I need to
whip on that spare, will the car fall over? :eek: :exp::eek::exp::eek::exp:

the outside diameter is the same, your car will be just fine on the spare.

New trend is tire patch kits and no spare at all. Was on the news ...... How depressing!
What are you talking about ????

I drive a tow truck for a living and the latest thing is that most cars don't with a spare or you have to buy it separately and when they come with no spare then you get a little air compressor with a can of fix-a-flat...

The new Explorer is more of a 'crossover', not really the SUV that it used to be. (I have the 2013). I think space savings is the big thing. Its not going undernath the way that the gas tank is designed and there just isnt enough space in the floor with the way the rear seats fold down and that small spare 'fills' the compartment pretty well.

Shrug. I just got rid of the 2005 Escape I had with 140,000 miles on it and never took the spare out. I sort of lament a full sized spare too - but if I ever get a flat - Im sure the small tire will get me where I need to go especially since I am not towing anything. I'm OK with it as a spare for my family-type easy-peasy light 4WD use of the vehicle. I'd probably feel differently if I needed to tow a big camper or boat - or I'd throw one on the trailer. ...or maybe more off-road stuff - but I might not have the new explorer if off-roading was really my interest?

The new Explorer is more of a 'crossover', not really the SUV that it used to be. (I have the 2013). I think space savings is the big thing. Its not going undernath the way that the gas tank is designed and there just isnt enough space in the floor with the way the rear seats fold down and that small spare 'fills' the compartment pretty well.
Also you have to remember with a full size spare that's alot of weight bouncing around and also effects the emissions and fuel mileage ...So at the end of the day they get a win win situation because save money on the spare and can claim better emissions and fuel mileage and more room...
If you really need a full size spare and can't fit one then buy an aftermarket bumper that can hold a full size or build one..

Spare tire

Can you fit a real spare tire on an 18 inch wheel in the spare tire spot?

Can you fit a real spare tire on an 18 inch wheel in the spare tire spot?
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. Perhaps reading through it will help. I don't think anyone has actually tried putting an 18" wheel and Tire in there. The diameter of a 245/60R18 is 29.57 inches and I believe the tire/tread width is 9.65 inches. You can measure your spare tire well and see how that size would fit.

Peter

Interesting as the Interceptor Utility comes with a full size spare on 18" steel rim, 255/55V18 tire. Ford recently sent out a communication to Law Enforcement saying the 75MPH rear crash rating was only valid with the full size spare left inside the vehicle and removal of the full size spare negated that rear crash rating.

Dtr,

Please feel free to locate and read the thread I posted recently, called "Lessons learned during conversion from Compact Spare to Full-Size Spare", for more information regarding putting a full-size spare tire in a later-model-year (2018) Explorer... perhaps this info might be of help to you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dtr,

Please feel free to locate and read the thread I posted recently, called "Lessons learned during conversion from Compact Spare to Full-Size Spare", for more information regarding putting a full-size spare tire in a later-model-year (2018) Explorer... perhaps this info might be of help to you?
Bob, FYI, dtr was last active here July 2, 2014.

Peter

Back