MFT v3.6.2 is now available | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT v3.6.2 is now available

Thought I would put in my 2 cents....

I got the new 2013 explorer a few months ago, so I had the 5.3 version already loaded. I found it pretty good - and had a couple issues with it - nothing terribly tragic, more nusiances than anything... couple crashes, couple lockups, slow response & startup, erratic voice recognition and peformance - I think mostly due to slow system boot times.

Anyway the new release - seems to me, is a big improvement. I dont have any experience with the older versions of sync/mft, but this feels more stable and responsive than even 5.3.

* My biggest issue with the prior release was that if I tried to use voice commands within perhaps 2-3 minutes of starting the vehicle - there was a chance the system would simply not respond - or perhaps get stuck on something for several minutes or (once) crash entirely. This is much improved. I have not seriously challenged it yet - its only been a couple days - but it does seem much MUCH more responsive. My usb device (iPod classic) starts playing in seconds, and NAV and SYNC seems to come up and get stable much more quickly. Very pleased with this.

* Minor user interface changes are nice. Larger touch zones on home screen to switch panels (seems silly now to just have the little 'buttons' the only active zones right?), Both the song name and artist displayed on the Sirius panel in the home screen (Rather than the Sirius Channel Logo and Artist), and minor improvements to panel switching responsivenes are nice. Colored 'zones' in the backup camera panel I guess are helpfull though typically the audio (sonar beeping) feedback is more helpful for me when I am looking around the car and not at the screen.

* Voice Commands. Feels like they made some structural changes to voice command interface - the addition of the popup full screen display that guides what you are able to say is helpful - especially to passegers who may not be familiar with the system. Voice feedback from the system is more responsive and detailed... "I found multiple.... Please Choose.... *My Mistake*..." But more often than before I simply get a positive tone back that it found what I am asking for and the selection/function activates. Its better.

* I got locked out of the keypad entry maintenence screens in MFT within days after purchasing the vehicle since I believe I 'deleted' the factory code from MFT. (The code still worked on the keypad, but I could not get back into the MFT function to maintain code any longer reliably. inexplicably - once every 20 tries or so, it would work.). Anyway - the system reload has fixed it and I can now get ito the Entry Code screens as expected and it works fine - and repeatedly.

* The system upgrade wiped out all my wallpapers, so I had to upload them again. No big deal, but no warning that would happen either. All other presets were maintained besides a few system settings such as touchscreen tones and novice/advanced mode going back to system defaults. Also had to re-pair my iPhone 4.

* It reindexed my iPod and recreated commands (It says 'Creating Commands' now rather than 'Creating Voice Commands') and I have not timed how long it took - but my impression is that it happened more quickly. A big test will be repeated short trips and turning the vehicle off/on when I am doing things locally. Seems that this kind of short trip on/off of everything is one thing that would potentially send the system into a unstable state - maybe when turning the vehicle off before sync/MFT was really up and stable. I feel like this has been improved greatly as the system simply seems to get up and functional more quickly. Nice.

* I had been getting a 'Phone disconected' message popping up every few days (alays once shortly after starting the vehicle) even though all phone connectivity and functions seemed to be fine. I have not seen this since the upgrade - but as I said I would only get this every few days so I will keep an eye on this too. So far the lack of that popup message is encouraging.

* left the car running in the driveway - the upload and upgrade process (including about 5 (+/-) reboots of the system) took perhaps 45 minutes all together and then I reindexed the iPod which took maybe another 15 minutes (about 14,000 tracks on that iPod) - so a good hour for me. I bet if I timed the actual 'upgrade' with a stopwatch - it was closer to 25 minutes - but bottom line is the entire thing really took me about an hour.

All together - This just feels like a very significant improvement of the system even though it was only 3 months old. It just feels more responsive, and it seems like it has faster system boot times - which in my mind were a big contributor to the the kinds of issues I had previously - and the voice command recognion and feedback seems improved.

So - initial feedback: 9/10. I just have to deduct a point because this thing is brand new and I find myself having to 'UPDATE' the vehicle to make it work as intended while leaving it running in the driveway for an hour. Otherwise though - the results seem to speak for themselves.

Before - I would hesitate to recommend this kind of system to someone that wasn't as comfortable with a system that was a bit finicky and fickle and felt a little clunky on the external device interfaces. Now - I think it is so much improved - at least on my 2013 - that it feels much more like a production, consumer quality system - rather than a beta version of an overly complicated software/hardware that just felt like it was only 90% there.

Good Job Ford IVT Team - nicely done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No luck for me there. As with Peter, it tells me that I am up to date with 3.5.1.
Rebecca, any idea when the rest of us will see this update available for downloading?

Peter

MFT 3.5.1 was able to read txt messages on my iphone and with 3.6 it doesnt anymore. Anyone with the same issue?

Thanks

Colored zones in the backup camera panel I guess are helpfull though typically the audio feedback is more helpful for me when I am looking around the car and not at the screen.

Colored zones were always there, you must have not had them turned on in the options. Under camera options you can enable guides and zones. It was however nice of them to default useful options in the update so that's a plus.

. . .So - initial feedback: 9/10. I just have to deduct a point because this thing is brand new and I find myself having to 'UPDATE' the vehicle to make it work as intended while leaving it running in the driveway for an hour. Otherwise though - the results seem to speak for themselves.

You didn't have to leave it in the driveway running for an hour. You could have done the update while using the vehicle, you just can't shut the vehicle off until the update finishes. I regularly do my updates during my lunch break.. I start the update, drive to wherever I'm picking up food.. lock the car w/ it running to go in, then drive back. It's generally finished by the time I get back to work (~30 - 45 min)

I'm glad they appeared to have fixed the keypad maintenance issue. It was causing a lot of people headaches.

Rebecca, any idea when the rest of us will see this update available for downloading?

Peter

Unfortunately, I don't.

For those of you in the U.S. or Canada that are having issues downloading/not seeing 3.6, call the following number to have a USB flash drive mailed to you: 800-392-4040. If you still have the letter we sent last month, this phone number is also on there. :)

MFT 3.5.1 was able to read txt messages on my iphone and with 3.6 it doesnt anymore. Anyone with the same issue?

Thanks

Try this, roamingphantom: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/how-to-allow-ios-text-messaging-sync-myford-touch

Rebecca

Thanks

Interesting I got the opposite.

iPhone5 on iOS7 Beta 5 now reads text, it didn't under v3.5.1

I updated my 2014 Sport with the new software on Sunday, loaded just fine, took about 20 minutes. Haven't spent much time with it as its my wife's car, but everything appears to be working. I've only had it a week and haven't driven it much, so we have never encountered any issues with the older version.

Took awhile to download the update to the USB however. Was stuck at 5% for a long time when trying it on my home DSL connection. I ended up driving to my wife's office to use her high speed connection. It went from 5%, to 38%, to 100%(nothing in between) within about 15 minutes. But otherwise the process was pretty smooth. I still need to connect my iPhone to it and try that.

Thanks

While your phone is connected to the vehicle, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and activate Notifications. On your iPhone:

1. Tap Settings > Bluetooth > SYNC*
2. Set Show Notifications to ON.

*If you have two or more SYNC vehicles connected to your phone, please make sure you have activated the correct Bluetooth connection for notifications.

Pedro could post when you get your upgrade to Syncmyride, today returned to MTF born just need reprogramming, to wait the official update, I hope will

You didn't have to leave it in the driveway running for an hour. You could have done the update while using the vehicle, you just can't shut the vehicle off until the update finishes. I regularly do my updates during my lunch break.. I start the update, drive to wherever I'm picking up food.. lock the car w/ it running to go in, then drive back. It's generally finished by the time I get back to work (~30 - 45 min)

Of course, its not like the vehicle is disabled, but I didn't feel like driving around with no functioning system or hands free phone nor have to leave it running while I am out somewhere so let's not split hairs over process.

Again though.. Thrilled with the results.

Peter

That's weird Peter....I was able to download it last week...although I haven't installed it yet as my wife was too nervous driving 3 hours and letting it update on her own as she would get lost if the GPS failed.

The update seems to speed things up a bit for me. So far so good!

After the update, my Zune keeps reindexing (it finished then after a few days it will start indexing again). I tried turning on/off the autoplay but it still does the reindex. Do you guys know the fix to this?

Well, couple of days in and things are going great. Super fast and super happy. Well done Ford. The system is acting awesome. No lag, burps, gurgles, slurps. All is well in MFT ville. At least in my neighbourhood. I haven't had any signs of glitches at all. Very impressed with how fast the system boots up and how quickly I can use voice commands now. Boots up faster than my laptop. LOL. Very Very VERY HAPPY.....

Haven't done the update yet but will shortly. Just writing in to provide the feedback to Ford support that requiring the use of some kind of Java download manager is inconvenient and reeks of a corporate IT policy that is completely out of touch (ha, "touch", get it?!) with the way consumers use their computers.

In short: Just give me a link in the support section of the website to directly download the file.

Haven't done the update yet but will shortly. Just writing in to provide the feedback to Ford support that requiring the use of some kind of Java download manager is inconvenient and reeks of a corporate IT policy that is completely out of touch (ha, "touch", get it?!) with the way consumers use their computers.

In short: Just give me a link in the support section of the website to directly download the file.

I would assume part of this is that you must return to confirm the installation and that requires accessing files on the drive. I agree there are more elegant ways of doing it though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would be nice to just tell it to download it directly to MFT via WiFi in the garage, then start the install when I'm ready.

Back