How to: - Old Explorers, Modifications, & Safety - A bit of advice from the admin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Old Explorers, Modifications, & Safety - A bit of advice from the admin

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So you picked up a 1st gen Explorer for a screamin' deal of $800 and you can't wait to modify it with a lift kit, bigger tires, and more power. Those are all GREAT ambitions and I'm all for it, but not so fast!!

Before you start spending all your cash on go fast goodies, and everything you will need to get those 33" tires under your rig, you better take a good look at your 20 year old investment.

Here is a short list of things I can think of checking which should always be done before placing more strain on the rig with larger, heavier tires and wheels, power adders etc.

#1 Brakes
Hydraulic hoses don't last forever, neither do metal brake lines, ESPECIALLY IN THE RUST BELT.
Check your wheel cylinders and caliper seals for leakage.
Check for stuck brake pistons in the calipers and wheel cylinders.

I bought a high mileage F-250 in the rust belt which had 3 of the 4 brakes frozen. Weird thing was it still stopped straight and fine, with just one rear brake... On dry pavement. First time it rained I nearly died. I lived to tell the tale and to pass on the experience for others to learn from. Of course while you're at it, check your rotors for cracking, and your pads and shoes for wear.

#2. Wheel Bearings - Suspension
On a 20 year old vehicle I would like to know that my wheels aren't going to fall off:D
Re-pack your front wheel bearings. It may be the first time in their life that they have been touched... And that's usually not a good thing on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles.

Inspect ball joints, tie rod ends, the rag joint in your steering column and your leaf springs for cracked leafs. Keep an eye out for blown out suspension bushings.

#3 Fluids
Check the fluid levels in your differentials, transfer case, transmission and of course engine.

#5.Charging System
How do your battery terminals look? Time for a new set of cables? A large percentage of "no crank" problems and other gremlins are due to badly corroded cables and terminals.

#6 "The other guys add ons"
Check the previous owners work. Don't assume he did anything right.

#7 Structural Rust
Any rust which affects the frame, shackles, floor under the seats etc, should be cut out and replaced with solid metal.

Do it right the first time!

If anyone would like to add to this, please feel free.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent post Rick!

Take it from someone who works on other people's vehicles for a living. Don't skip on the preventative mantainence. Its the little things that end up bitting back when you least expect or need them the most.

As a master tech I have to agree with this. Even with having to run 33's on my project for budget reasons I am still tackling all of the maintenance items before beginning the mods to make them fit.

...I fall into this category too as Maintenance is first priority and 2/3's of my money goes to this before I get to put the other 1/3 into an upgrade..:confused:

...I would like to add if you got a smokin deal or not, odd's are your motor is tired and even though these v6's last a long time and goodies to the tired motor just may not a good investment...

...But the number one thing that comes to mind when talking about buying a First Gen X is it's A4LD automatic transmission (find a manual tranny X if you can :D )...I am a victim of this as I got a killer deal and the motor was suppose to be blown..I figured $300 bucks for a used one, no biggie...

...Turned out to be a shot tranny which runs average of about $2000 to rebuild unless you know someone who owes you a huge favor...Just to be on the safe side where you live, get a price for a rebuilt A4LD...

..I like to tell people when describing what maintenance to do on older vehicles and what to go thru and inspect when they say that's a lot of stuff, "You know, the one item whatever you haven't taken care of will leave you stranded when you least expect it like in the middle of nowhere, or when it's important you be somewhere at a certain time, or a rainstorm.."I carry a spare tire on long trips not hoping I will get a flat, but just in case I get one I'm prepared ahead of time"... :banghead:

..You can put a ton of money into fixing it up with a cool sound system and big tires on it just to have it quickly become yard art if you don't do your maintenance and go thru and inspect what you actually bought..:eek:

..Sorry for rambling on but I spend a lot of time working on my old vehicles and helping others with theirs..

..This is a great idea for a thread and there is plenty of time to start on repairs before winter sets in...:biggthump

can i add ??

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME !!

it may take a little longer to do it properly, but not only is it safer than , you will than look after the details that make it look way nicer too,
a little paint and time to put things on properly go a long way

may i also add, look over the suspension as well. sure you want to lift it and what not, but if you have broken leaf springs, and ball joints that are ready to fall out of their sockets is also not a great thing. same as tie rods. last thing you want is to steer out of the way of something, only to go head on into it.

Good Post!

Back