Can dealer disable audio from parking sensors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can dealer disable audio from parking sensors?

seawolf

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Very annoying since I back into my garage. The system turns on by default every the vehicle is started.

Whereas Lane Departure system by default is disabled by default and I have to turn it on every time. Anyway to turn it on by default?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very annoying since I back into my garage. The system turns on by default every the vehicle is started.

Whereas Lane Departure system by default is disabled by default and I have to turn it on every time. Anyway to turn it on by default?
According to your Owner's Guide, the Rear Park Assist can be turned OFF but when you start the Ex, it turns back ON as you discovered. That is the DEFAULT setting.
Perhaps the dealer may be able to physically disable this. Do you have Active Park Assist (self parking)? If you do, those sensor are part of the system

The Lane Keeping feature can be set to ON or OFF. The only time this feature defaults to ON is when using MyKey.

Page 252;
Note: The system on/off setting is stored until it is manual changed, unless a MyKey® is detected. If a MyKey® is detected, the system is
defaulted to ON and the mode is set to Alert.
Note: If a MyKey® is detected, pressing the button will not affect the
on/off status of the system. Only the Mode and Intensity settings can be
changed when a MyKey® is present.

Peter

Why do you want it to turn off? I think it helps keep you safe and especially others safe. Sometimes people don't pay attention until they hear the noise. The noise really prevented me from crushing my brother's bike when he left it right behind the car. I could not see it left, right, or rearview mirrors. My rear view camera also took a long time to come up. This was like 2 years ago. The sensor really saved me on that one.

I can't stand those annoying azz sensors either!!!! I'd LOVE to disable them 100% for good!

The backup camera with MFT comes up instantly now. My Raptor without MFT but with the 7" NAV there is a delay, but I always just wait in reverse till the camera kicks on before backing up. The Raptor thankfully doesn't have those annoying friggin sensors. The sport has those damn things, but the camera turns on instantly so I have zero use for them.

It's ESPECIALLY annoying when I've got my trailer hooked up. Usually the wheel is half way turned and I'm trying to back up and it starts beeping at me like crazy driving me f'ing nuts till I find the button to turn it back off lol.

I can't stand those annoying azz sensors either!!!! I'd LOVE to disable them 100% for good!

The backup camera with MFT comes up instantly now. My Raptor without MFT but with the 7" NAV there is a delay, but I always just wait in reverse till the camera kicks on before backing up. The Raptor thankfully doesn't have those annoying friggin sensors. The sport has those damn things, but the camera turns on instantly so I have zero use for them.

It's ESPECIALLY annoying when I've got my trailer hooked up. Usually the wheel is half way turned and I'm trying to back up and it starts beeping at me like crazy driving me f'ing nuts till I find the button to turn it back off lol.

I feel your pain. I use a hitch mounted bike rack that i leave on weeks at a time. Everytime I start the vehicle and go to back up I get the crazy beeping as i scramble to turn it off with the d-pad. I don't mind the beeping during normal use which is why I wish the setting in the menu was sticky.

Maybe they can do a MFT update to fix this? Or is it not linked at all?

I don't see why this setting can't persist. The other settings in the dash are saved even after a restart such as adaptive/normal cruise control, easy entry on/off etc.

Maybe they can do a MFT update to fix this? Or is it not linked at all?
This feature is set using the left hand screen and as such is not affected or part of the MFT.

Peter

I don't see why this setting can't persist. The other settings in the dash are saved even after a restart such as adaptive/normal cruise control, easy entry on/off etc.
I'm guessing that Ford considers this part of the safety aspect of the vehicle and as such it will default to ON every time the vehicle is started. In a way it is safer/better than the rear view camera in that it will detect and warn without the driver having to look at the camera full time when reversing.

Peter

You could always cut the speaker wire :)

I back into my garage too and it's very helpful to me...

With our Audi, they had a tool you could basically go into the coding and set all kinds of parameters to do things your car was not meant to do.... Ross-tech basically sold the consumer a tech's tool :) http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

but no one has deconstructed or reverse engineered fords to that extent...

but no one has deconstructed or reverse engineered fords to that extent...

They really should... That way we could play with the DRL ourselves and customize other features.

You could always cut the speaker wire :)

According to my new 2013 Ford Explorer wiring diagram book....,

:cool:

It looks like the speaker is located under the center console... You could just unplug it?

According to my new 2013 Ford Explorer wiring diagram book....,

:cool:

It looks like the speaker is located under the center console... You could just unplug it?

The downside is I assume it's the same speaker for the cross traffic alert? I actually like that one since it indicates something out of view of my rearview camera. The backup sensors for going straight back are redundant and annoying.

The downside is I assume it's the same speaker for the cross traffic alert? I actually like that one since it indicates something out of view of my rearview camera. The backup sensors for going straight back are redundant and annoying.
They are also part of the Active Park Assist system, so they are not really redundant. Also, unless you have your eyes 'glued' to the rear view camera the entire time when backing up, they will also warn you that something/someone has wandered into the sensor's range that may not have been there when you first glanced at the screen. I've had that happen.

Peter

They are also part of the Active Park Assist system, so they are not really redundant. Also, unless you have your eyes 'glued' to the rear view camera the entire time when backing up, they will also warn you that something/someone has wandered into the sensor's range that may not have been there when you first glanced at the screen. I've had that happen.

Peter

I know exactly what they do, and what the point of them is, and in all my years of driving, mostly on vehicles not only with no backup cameras or any backup beepers, but also with huge blindspots in the rear driving mostly trucks, knock on wood, I've yet to ever hit anything backing up because I'm paying attention when I'm going backwards. With a backup camera, I have an even higher sense of awareness for backing up, I REALLY don't need the stupid beeping. Justify the additional safety aspect till you're blue in the face, I get the point of it, and it drives me nuts more than it helps me out.

I don't have park assist, and I have 2 eyeballs, I don't backup without looking where I'm going. Some of the newer safety features are nice like the blind spot indicator system, or cross alert indication, because they indicate beyond my line of view. Other safety features are annoying and unnecessary for me, such as the annoying backup beeping when I'm looking in the mirrors and the backup camera seeing exactly what's behind me. It may as well start beeping at me every time I exceed the speed limit too.

I know exactly what they do, and what the point of them is, and in all my years of driving, mostly on vehicles not only with no backup cameras or any backup beepers, but also with huge blindspots in the rear driving mostly trucks, knock on wood, I've yet to ever hit anything backing up because I'm paying attention when I'm going backwards. With a backup camera, I have an even higher sense of awareness for backing up, I REALLY don't need the stupid beeping. Justify the additional safety aspect till you're blue in the face, I get the point of it, and it drives me nuts more than it helps me out.

I don't have park assist, and I have 2 eyeballs, I don't backup without looking where I'm going. Some of the newer safety features are nice like the blind spot indicator system, or cross alert indication, because they indicate beyond my line of view. Other safety features are annoying and unnecessary for me, such as the annoying backup beeping when I'm looking in the mirrors and the backup camera seeing exactly what's behind me. It may as well start beeping at me every time I exceed the speed limit too.

How do you really feel?:p:

Also, how do you feel about up-graded factory wheels vs the standard dog dish plain janes.............:eek:

Back