Warning: Magnaflow #15218 Cat-Back | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning: Magnaflow #15218 Cat-Back

I called Magnaflow this morning and they were no help and pushed their manufacturing issue to the distributor to handle through the warranty claim process. I even elevated it to a supervisor and got the same response. Very poor customer service.

The way I see this is they are the manufacturer and it is a manufacturing issue.

So I called Performance Peddler and Dean was awesome and gave me several options to get it resolved. He is sending me a replacement muffler and tip section and postage paid to return the defective one. Great service!

The sad part is he said Magnaflow is not likely to cover him on the double shipping cost.

Thumbs down to Magnaflow for service and support.

On the positive side the product was packed and shipped as well as I have ever seen. Magnaflow does a great job protecting their product during shipment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes.....I was aware of that thread and followed it closely knowing my 2014 was coming with a hitch.

I did my due diligence ahead of my order and was assured by someone at Magnaflow that the issue was resolved back in March.

My take is that they did not purge or correct their inventory.

My frustration is in how they DIDN'T handle my issue after they knew they had this problem.

The product fit, finish, packaging and instructions were all fantastic, except for the driver tip hanger reverse issue.

Those huge 4" polished tips and mufflers look so good, and the exhaust is throaty without being too loud.

Love the product, thumbs down to their customer service department.

Thumbs up to Dean at Performance Peddler. I highly recommend them for parts and a great price on the Magnaflow exhaust at $564 and free shipping.

Cobrajohn,

I was disappointed that the 15218 was not a true bolt-on and the fact they did not design properly for all Sport Model configurations (non-tow and tow packages). My vehicle is a lease and I didn't want to cut the factory exhaust. I think the Corsa exhaust will be a true bolt-on but I will not purchase for $1499 (From Livernois). I'm on the fence right now for the Magnaflow, I have to research the numbers for a shop to weld the flanges were it meets the down pipes.

CobraJohn, do I understand correctly that the new inventory of the 15218 is a bolt-on with no problems from the rear hangers?
Cobra Matt :)

That's what they say. Call Dean

so did your replacement piece have the hanger in the right spot? any photos so we know what to look at when we get it, so we know before going to install if it'll work or not?

and how is the drone? I've always liked magnaflow products in the past, and despite this hiccup, if the sound is nice, and the drone isn't there, and the fitment works with the redesign, it's a very tempting alternative to the corsa at almost 1/3rd the price.

My drivers side was shipped with the hanger pointing the wrong direction.

The tips of the hanger rods that goes through the rubber isolator by the Exhaust tips should BOTH be pointing to the outside of the vehicle.

The guy at Magnaflow told me they checked all of their inventory and corrected this and I must have got one that was returned and missed.

Not sure I buy any story from a company that won't back there product directly with a customer in need when there was a known problem. They made me go back through the dealer I bought it from who has to handle their mistake. I don't like that at all.

Bottom line, my dealer is rushing me a whole new kit and will have it fixed by Wednesday.

My drivers side was shipped with the hanger pointing the wrong direction.

The tips of the hanger rods that goes through the rubber isolator by the Exhaust tips should BOTH be pointing to the outside of the vehicle.

The guy at Magnaflow told me they checked all of their inventory and corrected this and I must have got one that was returned and missed.

Not sure I buy any story from a company that won't back there product directly with a customer in need when there was a known problem. They made me go back through the dealer I bought it from who has to handle their mistake. I don't like that at all.

Bottom line, my dealer is rushing me a whole new kit and will have it fixed by Wednesday.

Sorry to hear/read of your problems CobraJohn. Looking forward to your review of the "correct" catback when you get it and installed.
I am also with you on Magnaflow's pisspoor customer service, but major props to Dean @ Performance Peddler. $560 vs $1500 is a no brainer, no matter how nice the Corsa setup is.......................

eta for the replacement tailpipe is Wednesday. Will take and post a side by side pic of the two exhausts showing where Magnaflow welded the last hanger bracket 180* backwards.

Take that to a muffler shop and it will take them 5 minutes to fix it for you and probably $20.00
Easy Peasy! :)
Should you have to fix it, no but it is aftermarket parts and sometimes you have to make stuff fit! :D

Take that to a muffler shop and it will take them 5 minutes to fix it for you and probably $20.00
Easy Peasy! :)
Should you have to fix it, no but it is aftermarket parts and sometimes you have to make stuff fit! :D

I can see your point in saving time but to the OPs point, if I was him and paid for a finished product, I'd want a working finished product. I would not pay some 3rd party guy extra money to fix a design defect. Nor would I want a weld broken off and weld it again to hopefully have it perfectly straight and match up to the hanger.

Exactly.....and the tech and tech supervisor I elevated the issue to last week were less than sympathetic to me concerning their defect.

They never offered to credit my card for me to take it to a muffler shop.

They refused to take a good part out of their inventory and ship it to me.

They did shift the problem to their distributor. I will never buy Magnaflow again.....because of how they don't stand behind their product with good customer service.

please report to the BBB so its at least logged.

Exactly.....and the tech and tech supervisor I elevated the issue to last week were less than sympathetic to me concerning their defect.

They never offered to credit my card for me to take it to a muffler shop.

They refused to take a good part out of their inventory and ship it to me.

They did shift the problem to their distributor. I will never buy Magnaflow again.....because of how they don't stand behind their product with good customer service.

Just thinking outside the box... did the person you bought it from ship it to you direct? I know some vendors have it dropped shipped direct from the manufacturer despite you buying it from a 3rd party.

There is zero excuse for the manufacturer to pass the buck but if it was indeed shipped from the 3rd party, he should have checked his stock to confirm that all the bad ones were sent back. If it was drop shipped, Magnaflow should have taken care of this for you immediately.

I'd 2nd the BBB complaint. Get it filed.. there is no satisfactory excuse from Magnaflow for your BBB case so it will be filed as an unsatisfactory resolution.

It was a direct ship from the manufacturer.

The frustration continued today when I received my replacement tailpipe.

Magnaflow made the supplier, Performance Peddler send me an entire 15218 exhaust system. Then I had to pull out the new drivers side muffler and tip to replace my defective one.

When I opened the kit.....everything looked okay. See first pic and notice the blue arrow indicating the new hanger pointing the correct direction.

When I went to install it, the top of the tip was all the way against the top of the plastic rear facia. I tried adjust all the joints and no combination would make it drop down.

So I got my torch out and heated the rear hanger and put a slight bend in it....see next pic and notice the bend where it used to be straight and follow the blue line.

I re-installed it and my new bend worked perfect. My tips are centered and now has a 1/2" clearance at the top to match the passenger side.

I am very disappointed in their fitment, but love the sound.

Now I have to repack their parts and carry them to a Fed-Ex drop off.

Very frustrating experience.....but now I have a great exhaust that I am very happy with....just unfortunate all I had to do to get it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The frustration continued today when I received my replacement tailpipe.

Magnaflow made the supplier, Performance Peddler send me an entire 15218 exhaust system. Then I had to pull out the new drivers side muffler and tip to replace my defective one.

When I opened the kit.....everything looked okay. See first pic and notice the blue arrow indicating the new hanger pointing the correct direction.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/johnhimsel/bth_Muffler1_zpsbca57d83.jpg?t=1377129844

When I went to install it, the top of the tip was all the way against the top of the plastic rear facia. I tried adjust all the joints and no combination would make it drop down.

So I got my torch out and heated the rear hanger and put a slight bend in it....see next pic and notice the bend where it used to be straight and follow the blue line.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/johnhimsel/bth_Muffler2_zpsceddb492.jpg?t=1377141658

I re-installed it and my new bend worked perfect. My tips are centered and now has a 1/2" clearance at the top to match the passenger side.

I am very disappointed in their fitment, but love the sound.

Now I have to repack their parts and carry them to a Fed-Ex drop off.

Very frustrating experience.....but now I have a great exhaust that I am very happy with....just unfortunate all I had to do to get it right.

Pic links don't work

Back