lane keeping assist turn on when car starts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lane keeping assist turn on when car starts

mastersource

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford explorer
Hello I have a 2014 ex with the lane keeping assist camera and every time I turn on the car I have to push the button the turn the system on. Is their anyway make the system turn on every time when the car turns on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I have a 2014 ex with the lane keeping assist camera and every time I turn on the car I have to push the button the turn the system on. Is their anyway make the system turn on every time when the car turns on?
Have you set the system to ON in the settings?
From your 2014 Owner's Guide, page 252;
Note: The system on/off setting is stored until it is manual changed,
unless a MyKey® is detected. If a MyKey® is detected, the system is
defaulted to on and the mode is set to Alert.

It would also be helpful if in your profile you show which model you have so it will be entered in the left margin where your name is. Not all models have the same options/configurations.

Peter

Side question, how do you like the lane keeping assist? My 2013 ex doesn't have it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2014 that does. Thoughts?

I like it but every time I enter the car I have to turn it on

I like it but every time I enter the car I have to turn it on
Does that mean you do have gone into the settings and ensured it is set to ON and not OFF as per my previous post?

Peter

I just want to know with anyone who has the lane keeping system if they have to turn the system on each time they start the car or does it always stay on. When I turn the system on I get the little car with the lanes around it that change color but when I restart the car again it is not there.

I just want to know with anyone who has the lane keeping system if they have to turn the system on each time they start the car or does it always stay on. When I turn the system on I get the little car with the lanes around it that change color but when I restart the car again it is not there.
You still haven't answered my previous 2 posts as to whether or not you have verified that the feature setting has been set to ON and is not showing as being OFF. There is more to it than just pressing the button on the turn signal lever.:dunno:

Peter

Under settings I have vehicle, mykey and display settings. If I go under driver assist their is lane keeping system but you can only change the mode ( alert, aide or both) and intensity.

Under settings I have vehicle, mykey and display settings. If I go under driver assist their is lane keeping system but you can only change the mode ( alert, aide or both) and intensity.
That is strange. I don't have the Owner's Guide but I do have it downloaded on my computer. Page 252 says that you can set it to either ON or OFF.
It also says that if you use MyKey, the default at start up will always be ON.
Hopefully someone with this feature can jump in and assist.

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPLkKCAXVp0

Doesn't look like it can be turned on automatically ... kinda like cruise control, you have to enable it every time you start the car. Ford doesn't want lawsuits from people who get themselves into an accident using either system and claiming "oh i didnt know it was on!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y72OHM20J-U

Oh...but THIS one says that if you set up a MyKey (which is usually used by parents wanting to control certain aspects of their kids driving), you can force it to on at ignition start. So that could be a good workaround.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y72OHM20J-U

Oh...but THIS one says that if you set up a MyKey (which is usually used by parents wanting to control certain aspects of their kids driving), you can force it to on at ignition start. So that could be a good workaround.
That is what I mentioned in my previous post. MyKey defaults the feature to ON. As for the other, the Owner's Guide must be wrong then when it states that Lane Keeping can be turned to either ON or OFF in the settings until such time you go back in and change it.

Peter

I have Lane Keep on my 13 Limited, its primarily designed for highway driving not city.

I like it on highway drives it just takes some getting used to if your a person like me who doesn't use the turn signal all the time. I forget I have it on then when I change lanes without the turn signal on (turn signal temporarily shuts it off) it shakes the wheel and tries to keep the vehicle in the current lane.

Totally my fault not the systems, its doing what its supposed to.

I will say I am truly amazed at how well the camera picks up the lane markings. No matter how faded the paint is, no matter how bad the weather is, its so damn accurate.

Very well engineered IMHO.

If you were a salesman or someone who travelled long hours on freeways this feature could be a life saver.

Yes I have to turn it on every new ignition cycle, I dont use MyKey.

Hi mastersource,

As others have pointed out, unless you program lane keeping into your MyKey, you will have to manually turn it on and off. If you need instructions on how to program a MyKey, check out the information starting on page 69 of the first printing of your Owner's Manual, available for free download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Crystal

Hi mastersource,

As others have pointed out, unless you program lane keeping into your MyKey, you will have to manually turn it on and off. If you need instructions on how to program a MyKey, check out the information starting on page 69 of the first printing of your Owner's Manual, available for free download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Crystal
Why does the Owners Guide on page 252 state that you can set it to ON or OFF in the settings and that it will keep that selection until it is manually changed? It seems that is in error then.

Peter

Why does the Owners Guide on page 252 state that you can set it to ON or OFF in the settings and that it will keep that selection until it is manually changed? It seems that is in error then.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Uh oh, now I'm getting confused! :D

I looked at the section you referenced and found another note under the one you mentioned:

"Note: If a MyKey® is detected, pressing the button will not affect the
on/off status of the system. Only the Mode and Intensity settings can be
changed when a MyKey® is present."

This gives me the impression that if a user has MyKey, manually changing it will have no effect - essentially the MyKey settings will override the ability to manually turn it off or on.

Of course, I'm not a technician, so if any of you have concerns that your vehicle isn't performing within spec, I'd recommend reaching out to the service manager at your dealership.

Crystal

Hi Peter,

Uh oh, now I'm getting confused! :D

I looked at the section you referenced and found another note under the one you mentioned:

"Note: If a MyKey® is detected, pressing the button will not affect the
on/off status of the system. Only the Mode and Intensity settings can be
changed when a MyKey® is present."

This gives me the impression that if a user has MyKey, manually changing it will have no effect - essentially the MyKey settings will override the ability to manually turn it off or on.

Of course, I'm not a technician, so if any of you have concerns that your vehicle isn't performing within spec, I'd recommend reaching out to the service manager at your dealership.

Crystal

I know this thread is old, but I too would like a clear answer to this. My 14 manual on page 252 indicates that it should persist across starts, and mine does not. I previously owned a 2014 Fusion Titanium, and that had Lane Assist that did persist when the car was turned off and on.

Using MyKey is not an option, there are many times when I want to manually turn the Lane Assist off, such as when there is road construction.

Funny, every car I've ever driven since 1977 has the lane keeping function on. Its located between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.

Listen, if you don't intend to pay attention or stay awake when you drive, let someone else drive for you.

Funny, every car I've ever driven since 1977 has the lane keeping function on. Its located between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.

Listen, if you don't intend to pay attention or stay awake when you drive, let someone else drive for you.

Hey good one. How about applying some of that wit to answering my question?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey good one. How about applying some of that wit to answering my question?

My newest car is a 2006. I don't have any of that fancy stuff.

Back