Member Interested in Mods / Ideas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Member Interested in Mods / Ideas

bburzycki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Personal Vehicle is on order - 2014 Sport - I will update that when i get it as I am interested in performance updates and black ford emblems.

On the flip side I deal daily with the Law Enforcement version of the Explorer - Interceptor Utility daily with my work being professional upfitters for these vehicles and developers of many of the systems.

So I see much of benefit and some of the downfalls of the chassis..

But I am going to buy one so that says something..

Seems Attachments are not allowed but if they were I would post a photo...

Welcome to the Forum bburzycki.:wavey:
In order to help members address future questions/concerns you may have, it would be very helpful if you entered in your profile the model and year of your Explorer. That way it will show in the left margin where your name is. Not all models are the same.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personal Vehicle is on order - 2014 Sport - I will update that when i get it as I am interested in performance updates and black ford emblems.

On the flip side I deal daily with the Law Enforcement version of the Explorer - Interceptor Utility daily with my work being professional upfitters for these vehicles and developers of many of the systems.

So I see much of benefit and some of the downfalls of the chassis..

But I am going to buy one so that says something..

Seems Attachments are not allowed but if they were I would post a photo...
I have moved your post to the 'Modified' forum. In order to use the 'Manage Attachments' program, you must take out an Elite Membership. Some members chose to use Photobucket and establish a link in their post.
There is a thread on this in the New Members forum;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359901

Good luck with your new Explorer when it comes in.:thumbsup:

Peter

For the performance upgrade, I would look into a tuner. I, personally, run tuners on all my vehicles for many years now, and they are by far the best bang for your buck. After that, the gains are minimal other than major upgrades.

For black emblems, look up Plasti Dip on youtube. Blacking out your emblems doesn't get any easier, and is also easily removed if you ever want to go back to normal.

I will ask the question of Smog Laws and Warranty with tuners..

Also anyone doing Exhaust mods...

Here in the republic of CA - we really cannot do anything without going to Smog jail..

Just flash it back a few days prior to your inspection!

What kind of mods are you looking for? Performance or aesthetics? Or both? I always start on wheels and suspension on any vehicle. Since this is an SUV, lowering or raising isn't really as crucial as on a sport sedan for example, but the right whees with a wider stance will make a huge look improvement on this platform.

Just flash it back a few days prior to your inspection!

As someone that has dealt with tuners on other platforms, the newest vehicle maintain a log of tuner flashes.

At least from what I have seen and has been told to me.. just the use of the new flash is logged and in turn if you blow it up or hurt the vehicle that log can be used to void the warranty..

I cannot blame Ford etc for doing that, but it can put the smack down on tuner use...

I also assume a popular mod is removal of the cat's... something that will help sound and in turn performance..

As someone that has dealt with tuners on other platforms, the newest vehicle maintain a log of tuner flashes.

At least from what I have seen and has been told to me.. just the use of the new flash is logged and in turn if you blow it up or hurt the vehicle that log can be used to void the warranty..

I cannot blame Ford etc for doing that, but it can put the smack down on tuner use...

I also assume a popular mod is removal of the cat's... something that will help sound and in turn performance..

Flashing your tune back to stock to pass emissions and flashing it to hide abuse are totally different conversations. I thought from you CA smog thing worried about passing inspection.

If you leave most of the stock components to pass a visual and run a new filter in stock airbox and a tune you'd be fine.

Removing the cats you won't pass a sniffer and not even pass the visual inspection...

MOST mfg's now can tell when a tune is added... ( I KNOW audi flagged the wife's !)

and even though the Magnum-Moss act 'says' you can do some changes,
all the mfg has to do is say "No" when your vehicle is down and
you then have to pay the money to not only fix your car to get it back on the street, but also an attorney to prove that what you did wasn't the cause...

all I'm saying is that you have to be ready to pay if you play :)

and knowing how to 'cheat' the system is not very ethical IMHO... thus our two 13's are stock and do quite well as is...

the lil one @ 365 hp & 350 lbft
and the big one @ 400 hp and 800 lbft - woohoo :eek:

2014 sport

Wanna do some upgrades to my 2014 sport..... Suggestions please

I'd suggest reading the forums prior to posting. You'll find many more ideas doing that than you will by asking.

Particularly the Modified Explorer forum.... Upgrades to the Sport have been most of the threads lately.... :)

Wanna do some upgrades to my 2014 sport..... Suggestions please
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your post/thread with this one in the 'Modified' forum. There are also many other threads in this Forum that you can scroll through. The members here would be more than willing to assist you in your quest.
Please also update your profile to show the model. 2013 or 2014 Sport?
Good luck.

Peter

Upgrades for Explorer Sport?

Anyone able to find basic performance parts (air intake, exhaust, computer) upgrades for the Explorer Sport 2014?

Anyone able to find basic performance parts (air intake, exhaust, computer) upgrades for the Explorer Sport 2014?
Welcome to the Forum khodak.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM to you, I have moved your post to this thread. Also you can just scroll through the threads here and see what members have done.

Peter

I have done a little bit of searching.
You can find a few different air intake systems. K&N, Airaid, etc...
I live in CA and need something that is CARB. The only system I have found that would work with minor modification (removing the ram intake duct lip, from the look of things) is an air raid system for the taurus sho the airaid 450-260.

Exhaust there are also a few systems. What I can tell you is that there is no 100% bolt on system unless it includes Cats or removes them. The stock system has the muffler welded to the catalytic converter. You would have to cut the pipes between the muffler and the cat. Legal to modify, as long as you don't touch the cats, but I don't want to cut.

I am weary of tuners. I had a different car and on a different forum one of the vehicle engineers explained what tuners do. It's been a while, but I remember the gist of it was that it is very bad for the vehicle. I don't feel I would get a tuner anytime soon.

I have done a little bit of searching.
You can find a few different air intake systems. K&N, Airaid, etc...
I live in CA and need something that is CARB. The only system I have found that would work with minor modification (removing the ram intake duct lip, from the look of things) is an air raid system for the taurus sho the airaid 450-260.

Exhaust there are also a few systems. What I can tell you is that there is no 100% bolt on system unless it includes Cats or removes them. The stock system has the muffler welded to the catalytic converter. You would have to cut the pipes between the muffler and the cat. Legal to modify, as long as you don't touch the cats, but I don't want to cut.

I am weary of tuners. I had a different car and on a different forum one of the vehicle engineers explained what tuners do. It's been a while, but I remember the gist of it was that it is very bad for the vehicle. I don't feel I would get a tuner anytime soon.
Welcome to the Forum avg2424.:wavey:
I hope you are enjoying your Sport. Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say tuners are as good as the people that make them.. trying to find a good place that actually has engineers and people that know what they are doing is key and that those people understand what the benefits vs. destruction ratios need to be...

Back