Transfer Case Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Failure

Devaya

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Everest 3.0 AT
I have a Ford Everest 3.0L 5-Speed AT (4x4). I understand that it uses the Borg Warner Transfer Case (Part No:U50217900D) which is similar to the Mazda BT-50.

Unfortunately, on my last road trip, after about 400kms of driving, I started hearing grinding noises from the Transfer Case. By the time I got to a mechanic, the transfer case had failed. On 2H and 4H selection the wheels would not turn. The engine would just rev when I engaged D 'Drive' and R 'Reverse' and throttled. I would hear some clicking noises as if there was some loose material being tossed around in the transfer case. The mechanic first checked oil in the transfer case and was shocked to discover that there was less than 100ml of oil mixed with water. It means that I was driving with hardly any oil in the transfer case all through the trip. I do not understand why this happened because my vehicle has less than 4000kms on the odometer. Furthermore the vehicle was sent to a Ford dealer for all scheduled check ups till the warrantee was over. The warrantee expired three months ago.

However, on the 4L selection I could drive the vehicle with all four wheels engaged. I was able to get my vehicle back home over a distance of 130kms in the 4L mode. To make it easier, I removed the shaft connecting the front wheels thereby restricting traction to the rear wheels. On the drive back, I did not exceed 40km/h thereby keeping engine revv below 2000rpm. After getting back home I again tried the 2H and 4H positions. I could hear the same noises from the transfer case. Engine would freely revv and rear wheels would not engage. Switching back to 4L the rear wheels would engage. While running in 4L there was no noise.

I would appreciate some advice on what is to be done:

1. The noises I hear in 2H & 4H, could it be pieces of a shredded clutch or bits of gear being tossed around ?
2. Is the transfer case serviceable in its current state or is it advisable to buy a new one ?
3. Could you recommend a shop that sells Borg Warner OEM spares and/or Transfer Cases ?

Thank you.
Devaya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what year you have but the EX I have had the Borg transfer case fail. Mine has no clutch but a motor driven shift mechanism and a gear and chain drive. In mine, the shift fork that is driven by a heavy spiral mechanism had the tips (plastic/nylon) break off. It could down shift to 4L but not raise the mechanism to hit 4H or 2H. Parts may be pieces of the shift fork. Chain must be intact as you have 4L. In my case (bad pun) I went to a salvage yard and found one for $75.
Good Luck!
Joe

You are absolutely right, there is no clutch in my Borg Warner TC. I did mention about it in ignorance. A TC does not need a clutch in the first place. The problem is definitely from the shift fork. In the next couple of days, i'll remove the transfer case and dismantle it. I am wondering how easy it would be to remove... Dismantling the TC should not be a problem. Thank you very much for your inputs. thumbsup:
Devaya.

Once the front and rear drive shafts are disconnected, it is a matter of 4 or 5 bolts and you are on your way. Good luck! If you find something other than or in addition to the shift fork that needs replacement, let me know. I have my old one under wraps and may be able to help with parts.
Joe

Hi,

After I read your post I got working :)
I was able to single handedly remove the transfer case from my vehicle. It is quite straightforward but time consuming especially when you decide to work without a helper. I'll surely need one when re-installing the transfer case!

I opened the transfer case to see what exactly happened. Luckily, the chain, gears, bearings and seals are all intact. However, the fork is damaged. So are the plastic inserts at both tips of the fork. I'll definitely need a new fork with the plastic inserts. This should get my transfer case back in action. I could have sent you some pictures but I can not post attachments on this forum.

How easy would it be to get a fork ? What would it cost in the US ? I'll not be able to get one where I live. Your advice would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Devaya.

Back