Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
And to add... I always have used 87 octane unleaded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't been on here in a while but just wanted to give an update. My 2011 4wd Explorer XLT has just hit over 30,000 miles. I have now recently started to smell the exhaust accelerating to lower speeds. Up to 40 mph to be exact. This was not under hard acceleration either like when I noticed the smell in the past. I was told my Ex didn't fall under the TSB. Really ??? So in September the truck is going back to the original dealer in NY and they can figure it out. NC apparently doesn't want to deal with the issue. To say I am frustrated is a gross understatement.
I don't know why it wouldn't fall within the scope of the TSB. If you wanted to, you could get the Ford rep, Crystal involved with this issue, or wait and see what the NY dealer says.
Good luck.

Peter

Haven't been on here in a while but just wanted to give an update. My 2011 4wd Explorer XLT has just hit over 30,000 miles. I have now recently started to smell the exhaust accelerating to lower speeds. Up to 40 mph to be exact. This was not under hard acceleration either like when I noticed the smell in the past. I was told my Ex didn't fall under the TSB. Really ??? So in September the truck is going back to the original dealer in NY and they can figure it out. NC apparently doesn't want to deal with the issue. To say I am frustrated is a gross understatement.

Hi Arc446,

As Peter suggested, I can check out some options to assist. To get the ball rolling, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

pm sent. i hope the powers that be in detroit are aware of the expl. smell situation :(
Just for the record, Ford Corporate HQ is in Dearborn, Michigan and the Explorer is built in Chicago.
We can only hope that they are aware of this and a couple of serious issues posted on this Forum. Unfortunately we have no way of really knowing this.

Peter

Dropped my X-Sport off yesterday for the Smell and Fuel Delivery Module Recall. Thanks to Crystal for getting everything rolling. It had been a close to two months since I had heard anything back from the Dealership, amazing what a call from customer Service can do. I hope they are able to resolve this smell issue.

Dropped my X-Sport off yesterday for the Smell and Fuel Delivery Module Recall. Thanks to Crystal for getting everything rolling. It had been a close to two months since I had heard anything back from the Dealership, amazing what a call from customer Service can do. I hope they are able to resolve this smell issue.

Touch base with me once you get your Explorer back from the dealership, Cirnek. If there's anything else I an do to assist, you know how to reach me. :)

Crystal

Are 2014 and 2014 Sport models being pumped out of the factory with this fix/change already in place?

Apparently not, this problem has been reported on all Generation 5 Explorers from 2011 to the current 2014.

My 2013 Limited started smelling like burnt oil 2 weeks ago after a hard acceleration.

this problem has been reported on all Generation 5 Explorers from 2011 to the current 2014.QUOTE]

Not true.......my 2012 Limited with over 33,000 km has never exhibited symptoms of this issue....

I didn't mean all of them, I meant to say the issue has been reported from 2011 to 2014.

I think owners don't realize their vehicles have this issue because their driving habits and/or environment does not require bringing the engine up above 3500 RPMs and holding it there for more than 30-45 seconds at a time.

In NYC, I don't really get the opportunity to operate under these conditions unless I bring it over to the interstates outside the city.

This has happened to me several times at WOT (wide open throttle) ... does the fix in the TSB actually work? Do I need to do anything special or just take it to the dealer and tell them the TSB number and say fix it?

I think owners don't realize their vehicles have this issue because their driving habits and/or environment does not require bringing the engine up above 3500 RPMs and holding it there for more than 30-45 seconds at a time.

As I have previously stated, my EX Limited does NOT display any of the symptoms (smell). I have on numerous occasions replicated the scenarios described in this thread......and still NO smell, so please don't try and convince me otherwise.......:burnout:

As I have previously stated, my EX Limited does NOT display any of the symptoms (smell). I have on numerous occasions replicated the scenarios described in this thread......and still NO smell, so please don't try and convince me otherwise.......:burnout:

Some of us also don't see the need to use WOT to drive. WOT to merge into traffic = really poor driving habits.

+1 :thumbsup:

Peter

You don't have to go WOT to get the smell! Mine wasn't bad as long as i babied it, but hook up the boat and step on it to get moving and you smell it!

I no longer have the ex, traded in on a F-150. But i am disappointed to see the problem still exists in the 2014 models:(

Are 2014 and 2014 Sport models being pumped out of the factory with this fix/change already in place?

Hi Motoarzan,

Are you currently experiencing symptoms with your Explorer? Please shoot me more info so I can help. :)

Bianca

Experienced it for the first time this weekend.

I took my son to college in West Virginia, which meant a trip over the mountains in PA. On the way there my wife started asking me if I noticed the smell coming from the vents. (long climbs up semi steep grades kept the Explorer in a lower gear) I turned off the recirculation on the AC and it seemed to diminish the smell, but by that point my wife and daughter had a headache, and we had to pull over because I got drowsy all of the sudden. I guess a 5.5 hour trip of mostly mountains, and this problem are a bad mix. I cracked the window to let in fresh air, and that helped. I don't exactly have time to read through 30+ pages of this thread, so if there is a fix, supposed fix, hopeful fix, etc, please let me know what page it is on. Our son is on the college swim team, so we will be making frequent trips out to his meets, and I would like to avoid this issue going forward.

Thanks,
Sean

I took my son to college in West Virginia, which meant a trip over the mountains in PA. On the way there my wife started asking me if I noticed the smell coming from the vents. (long climbs up semi steep grades kept the Explorer in a lower gear) I turned off the recirculation on the AC and it seemed to diminish the smell, but by that point my wife and daughter had a headache, and we had to pull over because I got drowsy all of the sudden. I guess a 5.5 hour trip of mostly mountains, and this problem are a bad mix. I cracked the window to let in fresh air, and that helped. I don't exactly have time to read through 30+ pages of this thread, so if there is a fix, supposed fix, hopeful fix, etc, please let me know what page it is on. Our son is on the college swim team, so we will be making frequent trips out to his meets, and I would like to avoid this issue going forward.

Thanks,
Sean
Take a look at page 26, post #509.
This 'fix' has not proven to be very successful. Only a few have had the smell disappear.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little sensitive there.

Not sure why you think my comments was direct at you at all. No one is trying to convince you your vehicle has an issue.

I'm just reflecting that if one was driving entirely in a environment that doesn't require taxing the engine, one wouldn't even realize the issue exist.

I, for one, decided not to bring the vehicle in to the dealer despite the issue on my vehicle because a) there doesn't seem to be a fix, and b) I only travel up steep hills a maximum of 3 times a year.

Back