GPS Connection Delays | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GPS Connection Delays

I also get the red x, but my gps is tracking my car exactly. It will disappear after a minute or so. With 3.6.2, all works fantastic. The only problem I get is the voice tells me that there is no list of favorites when there are. She's trying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one thing that bugs me about this GPS issue. I got my 2011 Explorer in January of that year. My system worked mostly fine for the past two years until recently. Now it has trouble tracking the majority of the time. Since I haven't had this TSB performed I have been running the same GPS software the whole time. Also, it has been confirmed on here that the GPS tracking issue is in that GPS software and not in MFT which has been changing. I'm fairly certain that the GPS satellites are still in the same geosynchronous orbit they have been for the past 40 years. So what else has changed? Why did this get worse in 2013 when everything seems to indicate it should have stayed the same? Did something deteriorate over time?

There is one thing that bugs me about this GPS issue. I got my 2011 Explorer in January of that year. My system worked mostly fine for the past two years until recently. Now it has trouble tracking the majority of the time. Since I haven't had this TSB performed I have been running the same GPS software the whole time. Also, it has been confirmed on here that the GPS tracking issue is in that GPS software and not in MFT which has been changing. I'm fairly certain that the GPS satellites are still in the same geosynchronous orbit they have been for the past 40 years. So what else has changed? Why did this get worse in 2013 when everything seems to indicate it should have stayed the same? Did something deteriorate over time?
Not sure what it is with the GPS. As I've noted before, there are times when I get a near instant connection while other times it takes 5 minutes or more.

Peter

I have very similar problems with GPS. They include: 1) long delays getting "locked in", 2) Red X over GPS icon can be one anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes after start up, 3) Having trouble tracking correct road, etc. Have 3.5.1 installed and just had it to dealer where they programmed APIM to TSB 12-8-2...but no improvement noted. GRRRR.

I usually keep my iPod connected and notice that every time I start the vehicle it grinds away creating index and voice commands. Of course voice command of the USB/iPod is unavailable until this 15 minute process completes. In any event, this leads me to two questions: 1) Is there a way to prevent the re-index or at least make it manual? 2) Is it possible that this draw on MFT resources is fouling up the GPS?

Thanks

I have very similar problems with GPS. They include: 1) long delays getting "locked in", 2) Red X over GPS icon can be one anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes after start up, 3) Having trouble tracking correct road, etc. Have 3.5.1 installed and just had it to dealer where they programmed APIM to TSB 12-8-2...but no improvement noted. GRRRR.

I usually keep my iPod connected and notice that every time I start the vehicle it grinds away creating index and voice commands. Of course voice command of the USB/iPod is unavailable until this 15 minute process completes. In any event, this leads me to two questions: 1) Is there a way to prevent the re-index or at least make it manual? 2) Is it possible that this draw on MFT resources is fouling up the GPS?

Thanks
I'm not sure if you are aware that 3.5.1 is not the latest update. It is 3.6.2. I don't know if the update addresses question 1 or not.
I also have various 'lock in' delays but that is because a moving vehicle can take longer to lock in than a stationary one.

Peter

1) Is there a way to prevent the re-index or at least make it manual?

Thanks

Get the syncmyitunes application and run it on your music.
http://www.syncmyride.com/syncmedia/mediadownload/SYNC_My_iTunes_Setup.exe

Usually the re-indexing is caused by a number of issues:
1.) file tags that Sync doesn't like - syncmyitunes fixes most of these issues.
2.) failure to complete a previous index
3.) sometimes the index it does on startup isn't right so it gets in a cycle of creating bad indexes on startup. To fix this, wait until its done indexing, then go into the settings and have it manually rebuild the index. usually fixes things.

If you are still having problems, there are more things that can be done, but they are more time intensive. My USB stick with 700+ songs on it rarely re-indexes.

Peter is also right, if you go to www.syncmyride.com you can download an MFT update.

[edit] - fixed link

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ALWAYS use the syncmytunes app when adding media to my iPod. I have about 2500 songs so maybe its just overwhelmed! So, at least that's not an issue. Just seems to me that there should be a manual control for that time consuming process.

With respect to MFT 3.6.2, if I try to get the update on syncmyride I am told my software is up-to-date at 3.5.1? Any ideas there? In any event, I tried a startup earlier today with the iPod disconnected and GPS was still confused.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ALWAYS use the syncmytunes app when adding media to my iPod. I have about 2500 songs so maybe its just overwhelmed! So, at least that's not an issue. Just seems to me that there should be a manual control for that time consuming process.

With respect to MFT 3.6.2, if I try to get the update on syncmyride I am told my software is up-to-date at 3.5.1? Any ideas there? In any event, I tried a startup earlier today with the iPod disconnected and GPS was still confused.
I ran into the same thing when trying to update. You have two choices. You can take the Ex to the dealer and let then do it, or you can do what I did and have them send you the update on a USB stick. You can do that through your syncmyride account or send a PM to Rebecca (FordIVTteam) using this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992

Peter

I just got off a chat with Sync support and they told me the upgrade involves more than just the software update which explains why I could not get the download? But I will try your suggestion first. Thanks.

I just got off a chat with Sync support and they told me the upgrade involves more than just the software update which explains why I could not get the download? But I will try your suggestion first. Thanks.

700 songs takes about 4 minutes. At that rate, it'd be 2 hours for your iPod to index properly. One thing that seems to help is to pause playback from the device while it indexes.

As far as the update is concerned, my guess is that it's a dealer install for you because you didn't get the customer satisfaction reprogram done for the car's cooling fans. Search for overheat and you'll get the thread about it. Basically the cooling fans were failing and the car was overheating.

Not sure your math is right. At a rate of 700 in 4 minutes it should take about 15 minutes for 2500. Never timed it but that's in the ballpark. I had a problem with cabin heating last year and something tells me they did the cooling fan reprogram at that time.

Bottom line, for all of us, is that this should not be an experiment...this expensive car should do what it was promised to! Okay, got that off my chest.

GPS Not Picking Up Satellite

My 2011 Explorer on many occasions has an X in the GPS display and will not pick up the GPS signal. Please advise.

I have a similar issue as well. Most of the time, it's because I'm in a wooded area, or large metro area with tall buildings all around, which interrupt the satellite signals to the car.

Usually, once I'm "out in the open" it clears itself up and connects and all is well.

But...if the problem persists, my service mgr told me to disconnect the negative battery cable, discharge the system, and reconnect. You'll have to pair your phone again, and the transmission will have to "learn" how you drive for shifting patterns, but in my case, it did seem to help get the GPS sync'd up faster.

But trees are definitely a problem. (as are tall buildings) at least on mine.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

All valid points.....If you are out in the open with no structures and it still doesn't work you have an issue. The GPS puck is mounted under the dash panel to the rear of the instrument cluster (ie between the back of the instrument cluster and bottom of the windshield). So don't place anything on the dash in that area. Also RF can cause issues. Do you have any aftermarket equipment in your vehicle?

My 2011 Explorer on many occasions has an X in the GPS display and will not pick up the GPS signal. Please advise.
I found this thread using the 'search' function and I have merged your thread with it.

Peter

My 2012 EX has this problem, especially when I start the car either in my garage, or in the covered parking desk. It's annoying but is most likely a software issue so I await another MFT update. In the meantime, I had an interesting thing happen. When the GPS doesn't connect with the satellites to begin with, the GPS quadrant will show the incorrect street, though it's usually in the general vicinity of where I am. The names change quickly as it desperately tries to figure out what street I'm on. After a period of time it will finally connect & all is well. A few weeks ago, though, it took so long for the GPS to connect that this is what it showed for the street name :).

picture.php

If there is enough obstruction caused by the garage or a parking structure it is very possible the GPS won't get signals from the satellites. GPS units typically have warm and cold starts. Cold starts can take up to 20 minutes with a clear view to the sky to get a lock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heated seat on with outside temp 56 degrees? That's a veritable heat wave here this time of year. We'd be wearing shorts. :D

My GPS locks in almost immediately when I back out of the garage. If not, it never seems to take more that a minute or two.

Peter

Back