Loose Steering?? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose Steering??

If I remember correctly, turn the steering wheel until the pinch bolt head faces just to the side of being straight forward facing. Then you will have enough room to get a socket mounted to a u joint swivel up in there. I use a 1/4" drive extension, swivel and socket.

Thanks for the reply. Right now, with the steering wheel at dead center and the front wheels facing straight forward, the bolt head is just slightly offset (towards the passenger side)from facing straight forward. Where does my socket have to enter through? I was originally using a 3/8" six inch extension with a swivel three inch on the front to get it to the bolt, but I cannot put enough pressure to break it. Perhaps I will tap the bolt with hammer and pin a few times to loosen the molecules, then try again tonight. Will normal CV grease work okay with this type of joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just loaded up on an assortment of swivel sockets and wobble extensions. I'm hoping tonight is the night!

If I remember correctly, turn the steering wheel until the pinch bolt head faces just to the side of being straight forward facing. Then you will have enough room to get a socket mounted to a u joint swivel up in there. I use a 1/4" drive extension, swivel and socket.

Thanks for the input! I ended up going with a 6" "Wobble" extention, mated to another "wobble" 3" extension, then the socket. Went through the space between the top of the oil filter and the frame. Complete PITA!!!

However, I successfully was able to clean up and lube the shaft and joint, before putting installing a new boot and painting it. I put it back together the same way, except I put masking tape around the bolt on the socket to prevent further cursing. Took a few tries but it's on now and works great!

Before:
FB_IMG_13764439030715953.jpg

After:
IMG_20130814_195331.jpg

Where did you find that boot? Looks perfect.

Where did you find that boot? Looks perfect.

I used the following:

Dorman 03670 HELP! Universal Steering Boot Kit

It is actually a rack and pinion boot. All you have to do is cut the narrowest section of each end off, then work it down from the wider boot opening (one end is wider than the other) beginning from the upper pinch bolt section of the shaft, towards the lower pinch bolt section. I used a set of pliers until it fell into the recess, and the entire joint was covered. After that, just zip tie and go!!!

PS: Don't forget to pack a healthy amount of multi-purpose grease into the joint prior to installing the boot. I used good old fashioned Advance Auto brand grease.

Bringing back a sleeping thread. Wondering if anyone has any pros/cons on Torqlox's posts on "rebuilding/rebooting" the steering shaft's u-joint? Mine started binding just a little and I shot some multi-purpose grease into the boot(which is toast, BTW) and it went away. So I'm thinking if I do the "reboot" now it should last about the life of my truck ('96 model, no plastic shaft). Or if Torqlox reads this, any update on durability?

Guessing ol' Torqlox has faded away. Anyway I went to the wrecking yard and found a 89K mile '97 XLT. With the radiator, battery box, P/S and A/C compressor already off, the shaft was a 5 minute take off job, and on a 2 wheel drive '96 Gen II, a 15 minute install. May be the best $11.50 I've spent this year. :chug:

Back