2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...I guess this more for Crystal...can you help?
If I give you the Ford case #, will that give you all the info you need to help?...

Hi Tim,

Yep, send me your case number in a PM and I'll research some options to assist. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Trapper69,

Welcome to the Ford Family! :biggthump I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager. They'll get in contact with you and your dealer to work towards a resolution. I want to ensure that your experience with your Explorer is delightful going forward.

Please PM me your full name, phone number, VIN, and dealer's name; I'll forward this to your CSM.

Bianca
Hi Bianca. I didn't notice until just re-reading some of the posts in this thread that you are a Canadian rep. I heard that we might be getting a rep for our members north of the border. Thank you for joining us and looking after our interests. :):thumbsup:
Welcome aboard. :wavey:

Peter

Hi guys, Im sorry to resurface this old thread but didnt just want to start a new one either.
Ive had the same problem in my 2011 Explorer with the "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning come on suddenly and my steering going stiff all of a sudden. It's happend a handful of times since Ive owned the X
(2 years now) but more often this past few weeks.
I finally took it to the dealership yesterday but they told me its due to the 22 inch rims I put on my truck. I've only had the wheels for 4 months and the problem has been going in for 2 years on and off so how can that cause the code?
My question is this: Did anyone else who experienced this problem get the reason why it happened?
Also, did you guys have anything other than stock wheels?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys, Im sorry to resurface this old thread but didnt just want to start a new one either.
Ive had the same problem in my 2011 Explorer with the "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning come on suddenly and my steering going stiff all of a sudden...

Hi j_mejia17,

I want to look into this for you to see how I can best assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start researching some options.

Crystal

Ive had the same problem in my 2011 Explorer with the "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning come on suddenly and my steering going stiff all of a sudden. It's happend a handful of times since Ive owned the X
(2 years now) but more often this past few weeks.
I finally took it to the dealership yesterday but they told me its due to the 22 inch rims I put on my truck. I've only had the wheels for 4 months and the problem has been going in for 2 years on and off so how can that cause the code?
My question is this: Did anyone else who experienced this problem get the reason why it happened?
Also, did you guys have anything other than stock wheels?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum j_mejia17.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post and its thread to this one.
The issue has nothing to do with the 22 inch wheels and everything to do with the well know steering rack failure that Ford has yet to fix, even in the 2014 models. This is something that should be fixed under your warranty, assuming it hasn't run out. Even if it has, a PM (Private Message) to Crystal (FordService) might help.

I strongly urge you to file a report, as many others have, with the NHTSA so that perhaps someday Ford will acknowledge that this is a serious safety issue. Please use the following link to file your report. Thank you.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo.../index.xhtml&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13772904708258

Good luck.

Peter

Power Steering Assist Fault/Service Advance Trac

Lost power steering yesterday pulling into my work parking lot. This is the second time and the last time was back in June. Error codes were reset after restarting the vehicle. I did log the complaint on NHTSA and took pictures of the error messages. Unfortunately I am out off warranty and the last time I took it into the dealer they said they couldn't do anything if I couldn't duplicate the error. I considered trying to drive it straight there but I honestly don't think I could have gotten it there in traffic without the power steering, it is very difficult to steer.

I plan to get a Ford customer service rep involved to see if they can help me out. I need to get this fixed as I am too nervous to drive it with my children in the vehicle.

I also saw the response from Ford on this issue and they think it's not a safety issue since it defaults to manual steering? I wonder if they would feel the same if it happened to them, especially with kids in the car? There is no warning, the error comes on at the same time there is a loss of power steering.

...I plan to get a Ford customer service rep involved to see if they can help me out...

I'll be here, cb2011; feel free to send a PM my way. Please include your full name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership in your message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Add me to the list. While traveling to ork my power steering went out about 100 yards before makeing a pretty sharp turn on the highway. I didnt really have time to react or to really determine what was going on so I made the turn at 65 MPH and almost ran off the road. Scary stuff. If a smaller person was driving, theres no way they would be able to man handle the wheel like I had to....they'd be seriously injured or dead. After doing some research I founds Ford response to the NHTSA on the issue and, at best, it is completely rediculous. Will it take someone dying for them to acknowledge that tis is an issue? Additionally the dealership quoted my $1,971.94 to fix it and I am out of warranty.

I work for an OEM supplier and have access to thier AWS (analytical warranty system). I did a search for Part # BB5Z-3504-HE. There are 4874 total incidents against that number.

I have also filed a complaint to ODI / NHSTA.

Crystal - I have filed a case with Ford customer service. The case number is 3071199-K5M6V3. I plan on requesting that this be fixed and be "good willed" as far as payment goes. Once it is fixed, I will be selling my Explorer. I do not feel safe in it anymore.

Please PM me if you can help.

I have the same issue. It started about 2 1/2 months ago, then earlier this month, it went out for good. Now I have no power steering. When it first started, every time the power steering would go out, my wife would be driving on the interstate above 60 mph. It scared her so much, she pulled over to the side of the interstate and waited for it to reset. We live in Houston, TX, a city known for it's incredible amount of traffic, so this was no small feat for her to pull over. I have placed complaints in to the NHTSB, and am hoping for an answer. We are currently in the process of buying a house, so taking it into the dealership right now is not an option. I am not happy about this, seeing I have 3 Fords in my driveway, and was considering buying another Ford when the need arises, but I don't know about that now.

I have the same issue. It started about 2 1/2 months ago, then earlier this month, it went out for good. Now I have no power steering. When it first started, every time the power steering would go out, my wife would be driving on the interstate above 60 mph. It scared her so much, she pulled over to the side of the interstate and waited for it to reset. We live in Houston, TX, a city known for it's incredible amount of traffic, so this was no small feat for her to pull over. I have placed complaints in to the NHTSB, and am hoping for an answer. We are currently in the process of buying a house, so taking it into the dealership right now is not an option. I am not happy about this, seeing I have 3 Fords in my driveway, and was considering buying another Ford when the need arises, but I don't know about that now.

Contact Ford and request a loaner so all you have to do is drop it off and drive away. They should approve that for something like this.

I have the same issue. It started about 2 1/2 months ago, then earlier this month, it went out for good...

Hi dakodasara,

I want to offer you the same assistance that I have to others on this thread. I'll get your information to the customer service manager for your region so they can help. If you'd like to proceed, send me your information in a PM and I'll make it happen. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

6 21 2011 to 8 9 2013
Why should these dates sound like blah ,blah ,blah just like the water leak,because that is how long Ford has been pulling your chain.
This problem should be fixed !!!
I would think 3 years is enough time to fix a problem that can cause a serious accident . Yes I'm back again and said I would continue till there are fixes for these problems...
Frank

I also posted this in the terrain managment fault thread, not sure where it belongs

Hey guys so i am also having this issue although it has happened once when starting the explorer, it has also happened to me 4 times while driving it, but at this time my power steering also goes out. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said they could see no faults i showed them the pictures of the terrain management fault and power steering fault.

They called me this morning and set up an appointment to have to come in for a longer period of time next week when they are able to give me a loaner.

i am concerned because this happens while i am driving and with such a big truck and no power steering it is a dangerous situation.

I am currently only 5000KM away from my warranty being up and really concerned that this will continue to be an issue when my warranty is up.

If anyone has any other updates i would love to hear them.

I also posted this in the terrain managment fault thread, not sure where it belongs

Hey guys so i am also having this issue although it has happened once when starting the explorer, it has also happened to me 4 times while driving it, but at this time my power steering also goes out. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said they could see no faults i showed them the pictures of the terrain management fault and power steering fault.

They called me this morning and set up an appointment to have to come in for a longer period of time next week when they are able to give me a loaner.

i am concerned because this happens while i am driving and with such a big truck and no power steering it is a dangerous situation.

I am currently only 5000KM away from my warranty being up and really concerned that this will continue to be an issue when my warranty is up.

If anyone has any other updates i would love to hear them.
Have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA as others have done? If not, please do so to possibly help get this addressed as a 'Safety Issue' which Ford does not consider it to be. The link is in post #613. Thank you.
The repair for this usually involves replacing the steering rack.
Good luck.

Peter

Well I was hoping this issue wouldn't plague my Explorer as well, but it finally just happened. NHTSA complaint filled...I think this is my last straw and Ford has lost a customer for life. I am out of warranty and as an Automotive Engineer by profession, I disagree with throwing money at a fix that is clearly a Ford design/quality issue. I also have gone through 2 engine cooling fans already. To top it off I have a 2013 Ford Fiesta and I have never had so much car grief in my life with that. At least the Fiesta is under warranty and will be lemon'ed this month. Ford engineers determined it needed a transmission at 6k miles and now the new one makes the same crazy noises the old one did. Plus I got all sort of extra noises at speed from them taking the front of the car apart. Hopefully in the future Ford takes some responsibility for the power steering issues. Right now there is no way in Hell I will let my wife drive the Explorer with our newborn.

...Ford engineers determined it needed a transmission at 6k miles and now the new one makes the same crazy noises the old one did....

Hi brick1554,

I want to arrange for your regional customer service manager to follow up with you. Send me a PM with your current mileage and verify your daytime phone number; I'll make it happen.

Crystal

2011 limited steering

My first post and it is a problem. "steering assist fault" or something like that at 70 mph is scary. I'm 75, and this scared the hell out of me. I just bought this with 32000 miles in San Antonio, TX. On my way back to Seattle, in eastern Washington, BAM; no steering. Took it to the dealer in Prosser, WA (great wines in this area). Two hours later; "we could not repeat your incident, it seem when you turn off and restart it resets the computer; so mister customer if it happens again pullover stop and restart you vehicle". OH, by the way we have had this part on back order for another customer for two months and NO indication when it will ship, maybe November or December. Third Ford SUV since 1990.

Soggy

My first post and it is a problem. "steering assist fault" or something like that at 70 mph is scary. I'm 75, and this scared the hell out of me. I just bought this with 32000 miles in San Antonio, TX. On my way back to Seattle, in eastern Washington, BAM; no steering. Took it to the dealer in Prosser, WA (great wines in this area). Two hours later; "we could not repeat your incident, it seem when you turn off and restart it resets the computer; so mister customer if it happens again pullover stop and restart you vehicle". OH, by the way we have had this part on back order for another customer for two months and NO indication when it will ship, maybe November or December. Third Ford SUV since 1990.

Soggy
Welcome to the Forum soggyseattle.:wavey:
It's unfortunate that your first post had to be about this issue. Did you file a report with the NHTSA? According to Ford, they don't think a loss of steering control is a safety issue. The link to the NHTSA report is in my post #613.
You are fortunate that the factory warranty is still in effect.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

peterk9,

Thanks for the acknowledgment. I filed on 9/18/13. By the way I used my point and shoot camera to twist this 75 year old body to take a picture if the location of the key code; worked like a champ.

Now another question or problem-----my steering feels stiff, with the old (1998 explorer) I could steer with two fingers and track like a cat; 2011 both hands on the wheel, the steering is NOT smooth. Anyone else notice this? or am I being picky.

Soggy (we only get 37" of rain/year)

Back