My latest deterrent to azzz kissers....meet the Bumper Shield XL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest deterrent to azzz kissers....meet the Bumper Shield XL

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
After getting tagged in the rear end twice in the last 7 months, I got one of these to help protect my 6!

IMG_20130827_164232_937-vi.jpg

IMG_20130827_164242_808-vi.jpg

IMG_20130827_164257_281-vi.jpg

http://sparebumper.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=73&catId=8&mc=5

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only concern is the fact that if they hit the hitch the damage to the frame/body might be a lot more significant than a repair to your bumper. The bumper is there to absorb the impact to keep the rest of the car (and you) safe.

Although there is absorption materiel under the bumper cover, the thing that will contact the offending car first is the hitch receiver not the bumper.. The hitch takes up most of the space behind the cover. Believe me I have been hit twice and when you take off the outer cover all there is the hitch frame. When they hit you they hit the receiver and that force is absorbed into the frame. I have seen them with the bumper off twice.

http://www.lakelandfordparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1129223&ukey_make=1243&ukey_model=20107&modelYear=2013&ukey_category=29503&ukey_driveLine=11125

look at this page and you will see what I am talking about. the Bumper protector I got had rubber isolators that absorb impact and the entire assy is warrantied for life against bending or breaking in any kind of accident and at any speed.

130 bucks is pretty steep for a piece of metal.

Cheaper than the $3000 in parts to replace the bumper!

You could put one of the cargo haulers back there and it actually would probably crumple and absorb impact...

Due to inconsiderate drivers in NYC, I had to go with the following:

IMG_1496.jpg

Read their white papers and pages on their site menu labeled for Attorneys - the data suggests
that a trailer hitch with this on it or without, is safer for the entire car, than no trailer hitch.

They state a bumper hit breaks the bumper and forces continue on
into passengers, (no significant crumple zone in some cars due to mph rules of bumper impact construction).
The trailer hitch passes force into the car - not passengers.

They include NHTSA stats that confirm(?) this.
If this is all true and accurate - then it looks like a tow package is the best thing going for any car that can utilize it.:roll:

...also check their license plate rubber stoppers-Bumper Buffers - look like they might work but not on the rear of an Ex, and the front, well we all know about that front license plate holder - but this looks like it would help a bit...

Due to inconsiderate drivers in NYC, I had to go with the following:

Hey Seawolf,
Where did you get yours from? I am also in nyc and while i am really really careful where i park i'd like to get one like yours. Does it affect the rear parking assist?

Thanks

Good lord....that is one ugly brush guard :(

...also check their license plate rubber stoppers-[URL="http://sparebumper.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=13" said:
Bumper Buffers[/URL] - look like they might work but not on the rear of an Ex, and the front, well we all know about that front license plate holder - but this looks like it would help a bit...

Great read! When I opened the pkg they gave me 4 of the license plate bumpers for free! :thumbsup:

also entire rubber license plate

these look functional as well but are for normal license plate holders, ...
bumpershox

they have 2 or 3 levels of bigger or thicker plate frames...

and I quote
" Our color matched front and rear bumper guards are available in over 50 colors. "

Hey Seawolf,
Where did you get yours from? I am also in nyc and while i am really really careful where i park i'd like to get one like yours. Does it affect the rear parking assist?

Thanks

It does not affect (parallel) parking assist but it does affect the rear parking sensors thus my annoyance with Ford is that they don't have a setting to turn off the sensors permanently. Every time it is in reverse, it beeps nonstop until you turn off the sensors.

The rear camera Ford provided is pretty good thus I find the parking sensors completely useless.

However to install it, you have to make a cut to separate the rear tow hook from the muffler hanger on the driver's side. The passenger side does not require any modifications. The cut can be made such that you can bolt the tow hook back on should you ever need it. The bolt size is 18mm.

Einsteins Truck in Brooklyn sells and installs it for $300 but they get it from http://www.vanguardoffroad.com/ in Queens (AutoBeauty). I got it fom AutoBeauty and was able to get free installation after some negotiating. PM me if you want more details on the negotiation.

Hey seawolf...

Having just visited a couple of times and driven a rental around the city -
understand the need for that in NYC !!!!

you might look into putting an on/off switch on the speaker wire so you don't hear it but it still functions ?

maybe get a schematic and see where that could be done...

oh, and here's our new deterrent that just came in 8-26 ::thumbsup: but it will only 'fit' on the truck not the sport !

Attachments

• rwDriverSide.jpg
    rwDriverSide.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 544

Hey seawolf...

Having just visited a couple of times and driven a rental around the city -
understand the need for that in NYC !!!!

you might look into putting an on/off switch on the speaker wire so you don't hear it but it still functions ?

maybe get a schematic and see where that could be done...

oh, and here's our new deterrent that just came in 8-26 ::thumbsup: but it will only 'fit' on the truck not the sport !

That would be a bit difficult to park in NYC. :)

Back