'99 5.0 AWD Front Driveshaft Options? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 5.0 AWD Front Driveshaft Options?

I suppose it's possible but honestly I suspect it would be extremely difficult to do in practice. It's not like you are turning the shaft round and round. Just getting +/- 60 degrees (360 degree circle divided by 6 bolts). I think you are forgetting that AWD center tc is a viscous coupler and not locked. You cannot turn the front shaft with the truck in park but the front and rear shafts will turn independant of each other when the truck is in neutral. You absolutely do not have to move the truck or have the tires off the ground. Chock the front and back tires and lift the frame with a jack a little behind the left front door if you need extra space to work. Once the CV is bolted on a firm steady twist will turn the shaft in the tc and let you line up the ujoint. It is stiff but not difficult and will not harm the truck as it was made to do this. In fact being cold will make the process easier as the tc is designed to increase friction as the fluid gets hotter.

Hopefully will not be too much of a PITA with all these tips. I am actually going to print this thread and use it for reference. Very good idea on the caps I totally forgot those would come off lol.
** Edit - small detail I almost forgot: put some tape around the caps on the ujoint while you are working on the cv end so they dont accidentally get knocked off while you move the shaft around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this thread is really old, but I'm about to join the fun. thanks for the advice.

Same here. Have a road trip coming up and I'd like to have my AWD working for it.

Hey I know this is an old thread but I .having trouble finding an answer. When u look at my truck from the front my front tires seem to appear as if they are leaning in at the tops. The inside of the tires are worn more than the outsides. Any suggestion of what the problem is? CBS joints u joint? Need some help

Thanks

Hey I know this is an old thread but I .having trouble finding an answer. When u look at my truck from the front my front tires seem to appear as if they are leaning in at the tops. The inside of the tires are worn more than the outsides. Any suggestion of what the problem is? CBS joints u joint? Need some help

Thanks

You just need an alignment that includes camber adjustment. Just get a set of these: Moog P/N: K80065, and install them before taking the truck to alignment.

Back on topic, I rebuilt my front DS using the Dorman kit and the DS works well but it helped me realize that I have to rebuild my tcase now. I guess that's next!

IMG_20130814_231216.jpg

Hello torqlox and Rbender1,

I must respectfully disagree. An alignment is needed, for sure. However, check all your ball joints. My 118,x.. mile 1999 AWD 5.0 Explorer had to have new upper control arms and lower ball joints. All were wasted. My front tires leaned in at the tops, and wore the hell outta the inside edges.

Food for thought...

torqlox, I am envious of your front driveshaft! It is beautiful, where mine is all one shade of fuzzy rust.

Seth K. Pyle

Back