Adaptive Cruise Control/Collision Avoidance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adaptive Cruise Control/Collision Avoidance

EGUY4

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited AWD
I saw something posted on this once before that had a lot of inaccurate/guesswork info about the system.

I just picked up a 2014 Explorer and ordered ACC with it. (I added it during the 2 week finalization period for an order)

I have used it 5 times and am thoroughly impressed with it and would highly recommend it. It will be the best $1200 spent on an option.

You can set the distance/car lengths you want to maintain using the left column side steering wheel control in the vehicle setting column.

The Collision Avoidance Part of the system is always active even when cruise control is not being used.

There is a red strip of several red LEDs on the dash directly ifo driver that will flash rapidly and beep when an imminent accident is detected by the forward sensor. If you are still moving forward and the car ifo you slows drastically or stops, or a car cuts ifo you very close the previously prementioned warnings will activate.
[B There will be no auto braking if you are going app 20 mph, you need to do the braking.[/B]

When you are in cruise control the system will maintain the preset distance by accelerating and braking depending on the traffic directly ifo you.

The system will decelerated all the way down to 20 MPH where it will disengage alerting you by beeps and the flashing LEDs and you must take over braking and re engage cruise control using the left steering wheel control buttons.

The system will brake very aggressively if it detects the traffic directly ifo you slowing significantly or stopping. You must be ready to hit the brakes if the traffic is stopped as the ACC only brakes you down to app 20mph and then disengages, thus stopping braking action.

I drove a total distance of app 100 miles in heavy traffic, changing lanes, without touching brakes or gas. I only braked when getting off at an exit or coming into sharp turns.

An important note is that you MUST be prepared to brake upon coming upon an exit ramp, or sharp curve. The ACC does not detect exit ramps or sharp curves and will maintain or increase speed based on the setting and traffic ifo you.

I don't think Ford markets the system nearly effectively enough. I had no idea the system would perform as it does.

While you must pay attention to traffic and road conditions, this system allows a driver in steady moving traffic to not have to constantly work the gas and brakes, which we all know gets tiring at times.

Again, I would highly recommend this option from Ford on any vehicle they offer it with.
I am looking forward to using this system every time I get on the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered this option on my 2014 (which is somewhere between the factory and my dealer) mainly because it seemed like sort of gee-whiz tech but wasn't sure if I'd really use it a lot. Thanks for the review, looking forward to testing it out now!

I saw something posted on this once before that had a lot of inaccurate/guesswork info about the system.

I just picked up a 2014 Explorer and ordered ACC with it. (I added it during the 2 week finalization period for an order)

I have used it 5 times and am thoroughly impressed with it and would highly recommend it. It will be the best $1200 spent on an option.

You can set the distance/car lengths you want to maintain using the left column side steering wheel control in the vehicle setting column.

The Collision Avoidance Part of the system is always active even when cruise control is not being used.

There is a red strip of several red LEDs on the dash directly ifo driver that will flash rapidly and beep when an imminent accident is detected by the forward sensor. If you are still moving forward and the car ifo you slows drastically or stops, or a car cuts ifo you very close the prementioned warnings will activate.
[B There will be no auto braking if you are going app 20 mph, you need to do the braking.[/B]

When you are in cruise control the system will maintain the preset distance by accelerating and braking depending on the traffic directly ifo you.

The system will decelerated all the way down to 20 MPH where it will disengage alerting you by beeps and you must take over braking and re engage cruise control using the left steering wheel control buttons.

The system will brake very aggressively if it detects the traffic directly ifo you slowing significantly or stopping. You must be ready to hit the brakes if the traffic is stopped as the ACC only brakes you down to app 20mph and then disengages, thus stopping braking action.

I drove a total distance of app 100 miles in heavy traffic, changing lanes, without touching brakes or gas. I only braked when getting off at an exit or coming into sharp turns.

An important note is that you MUST be prepared to brake upon coming upon an exit ramp, or sharp curve. The ACC does not detect exit ramps or sharp curves and will maintain or increase speed based on the setting and traffic ifo you.

I don't think Ford markets the system nearly effective enough. I had no idea the system would perform as it does.

While you must pay attention to traffic and road conditions, this system allows a driver in steady moving traffic to not have to constantly work the gas and brakes, which we all know gets tiring at times.

Again, I would highly recommend this option from Ford on any vehicle they offer it with.
I am looking forward to using this system every time I get on the highway.
I use this feature almost every day and think it is great. The only negative, in my opinion, is the way it aggressively brings the vehicle back to the set speed when using the 'Resume' button. As a result, I usually bring the vehicle back up to the set speed manually before hitting 'Resume'.

BTW, welcome to the Forum EGUY4.:wavey:

Peter

I set a 6 car length distance as my permanent gap, I find that keeps a healthy distance even when accelerating.

Pete, thanks for the welcome.

I've been mainly a reader for a few months.

T 1000, my 6-8 week delivery time was actually 10-12 weeks.

I would not allow myself to get too anxious.

I researched the vehicle since 2011 and rented it often on trips.

It was well worth the wait I've only had it 12 days and it was well worth the wait.

My gas mileage in local driving isn't as good as my former sedan but I expected that, otherwise the vehicle is great.

Its a pleasure to drive, and that's what I was really looking for.

I completely agree - its an awesome feature. One improvement would be to have voice alerts to go along with the deceleration.

We have this feature on our 2013 and I love it. Used it extensively on a 2800 mile trip to FL and felt very safe under all highway conditions.

I whole heartily agree with this message. I recently went on a long trip, traveling great distances in traffic, using ACC, without ever touching the brakes or gas pedal! This is a GREAT option!! BTW, love my 14 Sport!

Hello - Newbie, just ordered 2014 Sport with ACC + collision avoidance.

I have been reading in this forum about the collision avoidance system and if it will engage braking or not. This first post in this thread 'seems' to imply if you are going above 20MPH then it will engage breaking, but only down to 20MPH. However, I could be misreading this and the 20MPH only applies to ACC engaging braking and has nothing to do with the collision avoidance system.

I know there have been a few posts where people have been accelerating, and claim to have had the collision avoidance system engage the brakes even though it clearly says in the manual, and by the Ford reps, that it will not do this. So does collision avoidance 'ever' engage braking?

I have been reading in this forum about the collision avoidance system and if it will engage braking or not. This first post in this thread 'seems' to imply if you are going above 20MPH then it will engage breaking, but only down to 20MPH. However, I could be misreading this and the 20MPH only applies to ACC engaging braking and has nothing to do with the collision avoidance system.

I know there have been a few posts where people have been accelerating, and claim to have had the collision avoidance system engage the brakes even though it clearly says in the manual, and by the Ford reps, that it will not do this. So does collision avoidance 'ever' engage braking?
Welcome to the Forum inetdoo. :wavey:
The Collision Avoidance system does NOT apply the barkes. The only time the brakes will be automatically applied is when you have activated the Active Cruise Control (ACC) and the situation warrants it and you are travelling over 16 mph or 26 km/h.
If you are interested in downloading the Owner's Guide (PDF) it can be found at the following;

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...oLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=64453955

Just plug in your info, make, model year and submit it.
You will find that if you save this to your computer it is much easier to find things by using the 'Edit' and 'Find' options on your Windows toolbar rather than trying to sift through the Guide. It isn't the most user friendly manual.
Good luck and I hope the wait isn't too long. (Go Sens Go) ;)

Peter

Raining on the parade

Sorry, but I've got to say this. While the adaptive cruise control is a nice feature, it's fallen behind competitors rather quickly. Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Infiniti all have systems that work all the way down to a full stop as well as get involved in emergency braking. Really, drive a few other manufacturers if you can just to do a comparison.

Still, it's sufficient under most circumstances, but I do find that the disengagement is unnerving especially the first few times using the system. Hopefully, Ford is working to improve this system.

Hi inetdoo,

According to your Owner Manual, when following a vehicle in front of you, your vehicle will not decelerate automatically to a stop, nor will your vehicle always decelerate quickly enough to avoid a collision without driver intervention. Always apply the brakes when necessary. The car will adjust its speed to maintain a preset gap distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

I hope this helps.

Bianca

Cool - Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, but I've got to say this. While the adaptive cruise control is a nice feature, it's fallen behind competitors rather quickly. Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Infiniti all have systems that work all the way down to a full stop as well as get involved in emergency braking. Really, drive a few other manufacturers if you can just to do a comparison.

Still, it's sufficient under most circumstances, but I do find that the disengagement is unnerving especially the first few times using the system. Hopefully, Ford is working to improve this system.
From what I've heard watching some TV car shows in which a Ford exec. was interviewed, they are working on the full stop feature. But we were also told that Applink is on its way. Not sure I'll be around to see that. Not getting any younger.;)

Peter

Tell me it wouln't be GREAT to be able to add "full stop" via softwear and our USB port.
Fingers crossed.
Are you listening Ford ??? !!!

You have to remember that Ford is not innovative in this area nor do they pretend to be. Systems like intelligent key, adaptive cruise control, parallel parking assist, active parking lines, blind spot detection etc were all introduced by the luxury brands and then trickle down to mainstream brands such as Ford.

At some point, I expect to see Ford introduce a HUD display similar to what BMW and a all around camera system (Infiniti) have been offering for the past couple of years.

Tell me it wouln't be GREAT to be able to add "full stop" via softwear and our USB port.
Fingers crossed.

Adaptive cruise control does not/should not replace driver attention. Just today, I had this system engaged and it slowed down due to a sedan in front turning out at an intersection (good) but then accelerated rapidly despite a truck in my lane that was stationary. The truck was riding high up and had large gaps in the under carriage. I'm thinking that due to these large gaps, there wasn't much to reflect the ultrasound back to the Explorer and effectively speaking, the truck was invisible to the cruise control system.

You have to remember that Ford is not innovative in this area nor do they pretend to be. Systems like intelligent key, adaptive cruise control, parallel parking assist, active parking lines, blind spot detection etc were all introduced by the luxury brands and then trickle down to mainstream brands such as Ford.

At some point, I expect to see Ford introduce a HUD display similar to what BMW and a all around camera system (Infiniti) have been offering for the past couple of years.

Adaptive cruise control does not/should not replace driver attention. Just today, I had this system engaged and it slowed down due to a sedan in front turning out at an intersection (good) but then accelerated rapidly despite a truck in my lane that was stationary. The truck was riding high up and had large gaps in the under carriage. I'm thinking that due to these large gaps, there wasn't much to reflect the ultrasound back to the Explorer and effectively speaking, the truck was invisible to the cruise control system.

Generally, I agree - I suspect most of Ford's innovations came from Volvo (just like the frame of the Explorer). Nobody should assume that ANY adaptive cruise control is perfect, but even Volvo's city safety system is light-years ahead and Subarus certainly aren't a luxury brand. I guess Ford is going to have to work hard (and quickly) to advance what they've got.

In the end, if Ford is going to charge similar prices as the luxury brands, they'd best deliver the comparable associated goods!

Personally, I like my Sport for the most part, but other parts leave me second guessing my purchase.

I am very glad the collision avoidance system does not have a full stop system. I have had a few false alerts where the systems has flashed red and beeped due to a vehicle in the lane next to me. It's bad enough jumping in my seat because the alarm has gone off; it would be worse if the car also braked suddenly for no reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fingers crossed.
I think it would be great just to get the latest update software so I can install it. Never mind 'full stop' braking. :D:thumbsup: I don't think it would be as simple as just a software update to change the current system.

Peter

Back