Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Third Trip to a Dealer, This one is Second Dealer

Ok, I have finally dropped off our 2013 Explorer Limited this morning to a second dealer's service center. This dealer is where I bought my other vehicle, a 2012 F150. I was greeted with smiles this morning from the Customer Service Agent and I went through my spill on what has taken place with the exhaust smell issue. The first thing that he asked is if I was sure that it was exhaust and not something else like fuel. I told him that I think I know where you are going with this. I told him that I am aware that there is a recall on Explorers for fuel pump issues and that I have noticed a rusty colored stain about the size of a pie pan on our Garage floor. This stain had started off small but has increased in size since we have had the vehicle. I told him that the stain is located directly below where the driver's side 2nd row passenger would be. He claimed that is in direct proximity to where the fuel tank and fuel pump would be. He asked me again if I thought the smell was exhaust or fuel. I told him from my perspective that it smelled like exhaust but I have no way of confirming it without some sort of Carbon Monoxide meter. But I also told him that hell it could be anything that puts off some sort of noxious odor such as burnt oil, catalytic converter, etc., but I am only aware of it when the Explorer reached approximately 3500 RPM. He seemed to think that it could possibly be fuel leaking from the fuel pump and burning off on the catalytic converter or muffler. He looked up my vehicle to see if it fell into the recall notification since I did not get a recall notice yet. He found by comparing some other Explorers build dates that he had in the shop that our Explorer was just outside the recall dates. The build on our Explorer was Jan 15, 2013. But since I mentioned that there might be a possible fuel leak he wrote it up to check for fuel leaks and the exhaust smell. I'll give him kudo's for thinking outside the box. I will update when I get further information. Oh, also I mentioned to him that when I am finished driving the vehicle and I have noticed the smell several times while driving it, you can stick your face to the rear vents on the third row and still smell the Exhaust smell. So, I am of the belief that there is no doubt that this is where it is coming from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whew....just finished reading all 44 pages within 3-4 days (on and off)....and ive experienced this on my 2012 limited since day one. I always chalked it up to engine break in at first but im at 31k miles now and still experience it. For the most part I dont accelerate hard a lot, but when I do...I smell the exhaust fumes. Ill definitely take it in to my dealer when I have spare time and mention the two possible TSBs.

Update one mine. I had the TSB done last December, and I've only smelled exhaust once or twice, but that was on a strong uphill haul either fully loaded or with a trailer being towed, which is no different than any other truck/explorer I've had.

Originally Posted by blwnsmoke
Dont you realize you are breathing in exhaust every time you are driving behind a vehicle whether it is on the highway or stuck in traffic? The whole "slowly being poisoned" is a little overboard. Exhaust fumes are everywhere around you.

There's nothing in Rodzilla's comment that suggests he is referring to ambient air quality. The amount of exhaust circulated inside the cabin is significantly more concentrated with this issue and has no context to air quality outside the cabin at any time even if behind a semi. It is a very serious health safety issue and in fact "slowly being poisoned" is an apt way of putting it. CO poisoning is the leading cause of death due to poisoning in the US. Comparing it to outside exhaust by stating it was "overboard" and further "Holy exaggerated" seriously minimizes the health risk. The issue is similar to plugging the exhaust pipe because CO and exhaust emissions recirculate back into the cabin with no escape, the same as this problem. Your previous posts are irrelevant to this comment and if Ford made the same comment in reference to this problem imagine what the reaction would be.

These are the some of symptoms and ppm's involved with CO. Since headaches and difficulty breathing are associated with this problem in much less time than this chart indicates who knows what we are being subjected to. The total by product of car emmissions is worse than just CO alone. All the Federal agencies involved that comment on CO poisoning take it very seriously.

This is from wikipedia carbon monoxide poisoning:

Modern automobiles, even with electronically-controlled combustion and catalytic converters, can still produce levels of carbon monoxide which will kill if enclosed within a garage or if the tailpipe is obstructed (for example, by snow) and exhaust gas cannot escape normally.

The acute effects produced by carbon monoxide in relation to ambient concentration in parts per million are listed below:

Concentration Symptoms
35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

Thank you! On a 3K mile round-trip vacation last year, the majority being highway miles, I wonder if this is why we all felt like crap? I'm going to research a reliable yet reasonably priced air quality monitor to put in the EX and see what the results are. Ford really needs to find out what the cause is and provide a fix not a band-aid. If anyone has a recommendation for a monitor I'd appreciate it.

I know how you feel. However, I think our expectations are a bit misplaced. We didn't buy a car that was engineered to begin with as a $50K vehicle. We purchased a $30K vehicle (2014 base model MSRP) with $20k add-ons.

Seawolf, unless I'm misunderstanding your post, whether it's a $12K Kia or a $100K BMW, exhaust being sucked into the cabin of a vehicle should not be acceptable IMHO.

As I have previously stated, my EX Limited does NOT display any of the symptoms (smell). I have on numerous occasions replicated the scenarios described in this thread......and still NO smell, so please don't try and convince me otherwise.......:burnout:

Consider yourself blessed because it really sucks dealing with this problem. My dealer had mine for 2 weeks and I thought it was fixed for the first few days, but my excitement was short lived. It's been a few months since the TSB steps were done and over that time it continued to grow back to the stinky monster it was before the fix. This is only one of the many problems I've had and continue to have with my '11 EX Limited. This thing is a LEMON!!! I am taking it back for the 4th time this year for an SRS problem. Heads-up...according to the technicians at our Ford dealership, if your airbag light comes on, your complete SRS is deactivated.

...I smell the exhaust fumes. Ill definitely take it in to my dealer when I have spare time and mention the two possible TSBs...

Hi bluelion,

I can assist by getting your regional customer service manager involved. If you'd like me to proceed, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get this under way.

Crystal

I've had tsb 12-12-4 performed and the fuel delivery module recall performed. The first few days after the tsb 12-12-4 was performed, I could not reproduce the problem. After about a week, the problem returned. I spoke with the Ford technician and he would like to try to put some more sealant underneath, in case it shrank when drying and opened up some gaps.

This is refering to the problem of exhaust smell entering the cabin while driving after revving the engine to around 4000 rpm, with the A/C running in recirculate mode and the rear A/C system running.

The odor, to me, smells almost exactly like the car in front of me floored it, and their exhaust is coming in the vehicle. In fact, I thought this was what the smell was until I noticed it was happening when nobody was in front of me. I'm sure, however, other things on a vehicle can cause similar odors.

Has anyone proven, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is actual exhaust coming out of the tailpipes and into the cabin?

The odor seems to linger longer than I would expect it to if it was exhaust. This could be due to the A/C recirculating it. Switching to "fresh" mode does seem to immediately stop the odor from coming through the front vents.

Bad news.....

So I went through the BBB and ford sent me a field service engineer and he inspected my vehicle. We took to the road and the smell came in the cabin faintly and he said he did smell something. It didn't come through as strong as it usually does but he was playing with the AC buttons and seeing if the "vent" was really closing during recirculation and proceeded to tell me that it never really closes all the way... and so as we headed back to the dealer he then tells me it is normal to smell exhaust in the vehicle when you drive in traffic, Um I was going 80mph to recreate the smell I don't think that is traffic. And never in my life have I had a car that smells of exhaust inside, I think that would be against the law especially since it poisonous. Just saying.
They replaced the fuel pump because of the recall and put on some fancy air filter. I am sure there is no fix. I will drive it tomorrow and let you all know what happens. I am buying a CO monitor and putting it by the third row as I saw posted on an earlier thread. I put a call into a attorney because ford doesn't care. It makes me sad because all I want is a buy back and another explorer that doesn't have the smell. My friend has the same one with no odor. Oh well I guess I got the LEMON.... love the car hate Ford right now. :mad:

Thank you! On a 3K mile round-trip vacation last year, the majority being highway miles, I wonder if this is why we all felt like crap? I'm going to research a reliable yet reasonably priced air quality monitor to put in the EX and see what the results are. Ford really needs to find out what the cause is and provide a fix not a band-aid. If anyone has a recommendation for a monitor I'd appreciate it.

as far as CO detector; easiest solution is a smoke detector or you could start with http://www.msasafety.com/global/ if you are looking for actual monitoring equipment.

Definietly not a break in period. I have a 2011 XLT with 27k + miles and it stinks during hard excel too. Just printed out the TSB and will be delivering to Dealer for next oil change.

Touch base with me once you get your Explorer back from the dealership, Cirnek. If there's anything else I an do to assist, you know how to reach me. :)

Crystal

Well I picked up my truck Tuesday August 27 from dealership after they performed the TSB for the Fuel Delivery Module and replaced all of the rear vents and seals. My family and I took a trip over the labor day weekend and sadly I have to say the issue has not been fixed, in fact the smell is even worse now when it comes in. Guess its back to square one and back to the dealership.

Well I picked up my truck Tuesday August 27 from dealership after they performed the TSB for the Fuel Delivery Module and replaced all of the rear vents and seals. My family and I took a trip over the labor day weekend and sadly I have to say the issue has not been fixed...

Hi Cirnek,

PM your current mileage to me and I'll alert your CSM to what you've been experiencing. Please verify your best daytime contact number as well. Thanks!

Crystal

My best piece of advice to everyone in this thread still within their first year of ownership; GET A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY! Ford's corporate level customer suport does not and will not listen to you. They will flat out ignore you until you sue them.

Hi bluelion,

I can assist by getting your regional customer service manager involved. If you'd like me to proceed, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get this under way.

Crystal

Sent you a pm.....

Hello from SE Virginia/ "burnt" smell

I'm new here to the Explorer forum as I have recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer Base in red with the 3.5 non-ecoboost motor. I'm however not new to ford as I have had many Fords before. The Explorer is the Mommy-mobile as I drive a 2011 Sangria Red Ford Focus SES. So far the explorer has been great (bought it in April 2013) as it has 7500 miles on it. I can get 28mpg out of it driving about 80% hwy miles. The only complaint is that I have been getting a "burnt" smell under hard acceleration. Taking it into the dealer on Monday to get this figure out, and to get its first oil change.

I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm new here to the Explorer forum as I have recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer Base in red with the 3.5 non-ecoboost motor. I'm however not new to ford as I have had many Fords before. The Explorer is the Mommy-mobile as I drive a 2011 Sangria Red Ford Focus SES. So far the explorer has been great (bought it in April 2013) as it has 7500 miles on it. I can get 28mpg out of it driving about 80% hwy miles. The only complaint is that I have been getting a "burnt" smell under hard acceleration. Taking it into the dealer on Monday to get this figure out, and to get its first oil change.

Hi tstwings13,

Send me your information in a PM so I can get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Back